Grado Fan Club!
May 31, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #47,656 of 65,553
As for Grado. They are probably the most transparent headphones. Almost just the driver. They show *everything*. Of course they can run from a phone because they are efficient. But they scale like there is no tomorrow.
Carboncopy, I think you have heard a lot of really good amps (good taste :smile:) . I enjoy my Feliks Echo OTL amp. I remembered you saying OTL was inferior to Class A tube you currently using. Did I recall it right and can you tell why?

I'm searching a better amp for my grado's and found my self not liking solid state. I'm more a tube guy.

Kind regards, Chris

May 31, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #47,657 of 65,553
Waiting for my new op amp.
Schiit Hel 2
Sent this week.
Hope it is good…

May 31, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #47,659 of 65,553
I can see both sides of this. The Hemps were limited edition, but at the same time it’s been a major HIT. So i wouldn’t hate them if they incorporated into their main line up somehow
No doubt they will be coming out with updated RS-1 and RS-2’s which will take the place of the Hemp.

May 31, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #47,660 of 65,553
No doubt they will be coming out with updated RS-1 and RS-2’s which will take the place of the Hemp.
Oh i’m sure we are gonna see an update of the RS1/2. I just don’t know if they will have a similar tuning to the hemp. The new SR325x appears to be the hemp in different cloths from the impressions on here

May 31, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #47,662 of 65,553
To bring you guys up to speed I currently own Grado Hemp, Grado sr225x, and Grado SR80x. I sold my GH3 last week to make room for some of the x-series. I’ll be using the HEMP/225x as my main headphones because i like the flat pads a lot. The SR80x will be my guitar playing headphone, and the headphone i let friends borrow to get a taste of Grado.

__

Guys i am LOVING the SR225x. It is giving me that live at a concert feeling. The sound is so lively and energetic. The treble is so bright and in your face. When listening to stuff like Judas Priest it’s like laser beams creating prisms in front of me. I absolutely love it. This is the sound that i fell in love with when I heard my first SR80e, and soon after RS2e. It’s refined though, I never get the impression that it‘s “too piercing“ or anything, but it’s definitely closer to classic grado than the SR80x.

I think the SR80x is a fantastic headphone, kind of a steal at 125 dollars. But for ME it was sitting “too close” to the Hemp for me to stick with it. So glad i checked out the SR225x because it’s exactly what i was hoping from this x-series. The detail, the refinement that the x series offers but closer to the Grado House sound. I think the bass on the SR225x is more reserved compared to the SR80x. The overall presentation is more light and airy on the SR225x. I am having an absolute blast with the SR225x. It blows away my GH3 that I sold.

For those looking at the new x-series drivers pick and choose based more on your taste profile rather than price. No one here has tried the SR60x, or the sr125x. But the SR80x has some in common with the 80e, but i think the treble is a lot lower and the bass seems to be raised. But i haven’t heard the 80e in about 6 months So take that with what you will. The 225x sounds a lot like what i think the grado house sound sounds like. And the sr325x from what I’ve read seems like the hemp in different cloths. So it really depends what you are looking for. I’m just glad they have different tunings for different preferences.

Take care guys, back to listening

May 31, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #47,663 of 65,553
Guys i am LOVING the SR225x. It is giving me that live at a concert feeling. The sound is so lively and energetic. The treble is so bright and in your face. When listening to stuff like Judas Priest it’s like laser beams creating prisms in front of me. I absolutely love it. This is the sound that i fell in love with when I heard my first SR80e, and soon after RS2e. It’s refined though, I never get the impression that it‘s “too piercing“ or anything, but it’s definitely closer to classic grado than the SR80x.
And this with the flat pads? They really must have changed the driver.

May 31, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #47,664 of 65,553
The hemps will be discontinued later this year? I found this on reddit. It seems like we don’t know the future of the hemps lol
Didnt we just see a post where Rich Grado (or whatever intern runs his social media) said that The Hemp was staying in the lineup ?

May 31, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #47,665 of 65,553
Didnt we just see a post where Rich Grado (or whatever intern runs his social media) said that The Hemp was staying in the lineup ?
Yeah there seems to be some confusion. lol. I actually emailed rich grado after my original post and he said this :laughing:

”As for what the plans are... we get a kick out of all the people who "know" what we are going to do next, we usually don't know ourselves until it happens, but we never talk about future plans, it would take away from the anticipation and changes too often...”

May 31, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #47,666 of 65,553
I would guess given the Hemps popularity and it bringing people to Grado who wouldnt have done so before, they will likely keep it around, probably in a slightly different version. That makes the most sense, change the design a bit so that people who got the limited edition version dont feel cheated.

I think they should make it the RS-3x, add a new entry model to their reference line. Change to the new cable, and maybe a slight change in the earcup pattern to designate the change. Or just call it the RS-Hemp if they want to keep the Hemp in the name, as I am guessing that alone brought in a good chunk of sales!

May 31, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #47,667 of 65,553
I know I was just gushing about the SR225x up there but I’m listening to a modest mouse cd on the hemp and I’m having another moment.

I love how realistic music sounds on the hemp. aside from maybe the sennheiser hd600 I never heard a headphone that had such a perfect timbre. Acoustic and electric instruments sound like they would right next to me. It’s amazing. Sounds amazing with not well recorded music too. They have an incredible headphone here, qould be cool to see them keep it In some form.

Jun 1, 2021 at 4:00 AM Post #47,668 of 65,553
Hi All, I noticed that on the left driver side the cable on my new rs325x has been connected in such a way that it always results in a twist when I put them on. Anyone else has this? Informed my dealer but not sure if this is a reason for an exchange.

Attachments

• IMG_1672.JPG
    IMG_1672.JPG
    495.6 KB · Views: 0
Jun 1, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #47,670 of 65,553
Carboncopy, I think you have heard a lot of really good amps (good taste :smile:) . I enjoy my Feliks Echo OTL amp. I remembered you saying OTL was inferior to Class A tube you currently using. Did I recall it right and can you tell why?

I'm searching a better amp for my grado's and found my self not liking solid state. I'm more a tube guy.

Kind regards, Chris
Well, I don’t remember I saying that. But, OTL is indeed something a bit special thing, mainly because of it’s high output impedance. I checked the Euforia and the specification says it is for heaphones 32Ohm to 600Ohm or something, so according to that it should be okay with Grado. What that means I guess is, that it used big enough tubes so they can deliver the needed current to low impedance headphones too, but it won’t change the fact, that they have high output impedance.

Why is that important? It is actually the same thing as in the “normal” speaker world the damping factor. A ratio between the output impedance of the amplifier and the load impedance of the (in this case) headphones. Usually a minimum of 10 makes sense, so that the driver has a resonance controll. It can depend on the type of driver construction of course. I am not a fan of really high damping factor, because it is then usually achieved through strong negativ feedback which harms more on other counts.

That ratio is the ground why high impedance headphones (300Ohm and more) are usually recommended for OTL.

Bet the ultimate thruth is: whatever you like is your way. It’s just a small angle on the technology I wrote here.

I personally think that the golden way is the transformer coupled tube headamp with impedance matching option. Like my Trafomatic Head 2 or the new McIntosch for example. But it is only my experience…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back