Grado Fan Club!
Jun 1, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #47,686 of 65,627
I listened to my RS2e before and I'm struggling with the brighter sound signature , maybe it's a case of re-tuning my brain , but I really do prefer the warmer sound of the RS1e. I'm thinking about letting the RS2e leave my family and bring in the PS500e (X ?) .
I gave my SR325e a listen and I enjoyed it , so that's a keeper.
I use to love my RS2e , what has just happened ???, I'm baffled.

I am going through phases all the time so if i were you i'd keep the RS2e. One evening i find the PS500e to be too bright and the next day i might find it to be just right. It changes all the time...

Jun 1, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #47,687 of 65,627
I am going through phases all the time so if i were you i'd keep the RS2e. One evening i find the PS500e to be too bright and the next day i might find it to be just right. It changes all the time...
Yeah , maybe I should just enjoy my RS1e instead of worrying about the others I'm not happy with , RS1e really is a beautiful HP after some break in.

Jun 1, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #47,688 of 65,627
So after spending the weekend doing hours of listening and endless pad swapping...I am currently sticking with the flats on the 225x but...now that I have an idea of correct position of the L cushion I really like the additional spaciousness in the head space. I decided to go all in on my 80e mods and I opened the remaining holes around the drivers. Ye gods! On the wrong material it will blow your head off...on the right material...it's pretty good. The cups are damped with felt so it's not like they have become vibrating bass canons (nor would you mistake them for something from Phillips). Which brings me to...now I am curious to try these absurd 80's with G cushions. But I am NOT spending $50 on the proposition.

Is there a consensus on what of the after market G pads is the best option? The closest in structure and size to oem? There are many on Amazon and they are all less than $15 so surely there must be one more worthy than the rest?

Jun 1, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #47,689 of 65,627
I have other headphones from Hifiman, Sennheiser, Meze, Audio Technica, Verum and a few Drop redos. I would say I prefer others depending on what and how I am listening. Example, if I know I am going to listen to classical and be able to relax and enjoy fully in the bed room, I will wear the GS1000e.

Yeah I think we all understand that lol.

Anyway a cool local head-fi 'er let me demo his Grados (125 and rs2 with no button, both with those giant pads), and I spent some time with them and what I have.

The grado experience I will sum up with my sound impressions:

gradoentrnce.jpg

I get it. But I cannot explain it. I think this is the only headphone I probably will never comment on the sound. They're not perfect, but they're perfectly fine. This experience, thanks to a local member allowed me to get a taste of Brooklyn's best. It's got style. And if style is everything, then I get why people lose their minds over these.

Thank You

Jun 2, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #47,695 of 65,627
Because I’ve been giving my hemp some extra love lately, I’ve also been looking closer at it. I noticed some slight imperfections in the hemp/maple housings. Just wondering if this is normal, I need to ease my mind lol. Notice the small divot I circled, and I also circled the little hemp pieces pushing out near the driver. I’m sure it’s “fine”, it probably comes with the territory of using hemp. But I would be lying to myself if I didn’t need some other opinions on it:

F08EE06F-1240-42BD-B505-262DE2AB3915.jpeg
A08F93DA-276A-4911-9307-B6279EB74D6D.jpeg
49DE02D3-4702-4DF7-8B5D-D2DA35061998.jpeg

Jun 2, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #47,696 of 65,627
Is there a consensus on what of the after market G pads is the best option? The closest in structure and size to oem? There are many on Amazon and they are all less than $15 so surely there must be one more worthy than the rest?

Unlike the L pad, which has a near-equivalent in the Geekria L, the G pad doesn't have a near-equivalent aftermarket version.

The G pad is constructed with 2 foam densities in a seamless transition from inner to outer. That's why it costs $55. The aftermarket G pads don't do this. The Geekria G pad is more shallow as well. The official G pad will spike the treble at around 6khz, so if the headphone wasn't initially tuned to compensate for this, you'll need to EQ it down.

Jun 2, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #47,697 of 65,627
Unlike the L pad, which has a near-equivalent in the Geekria L, the G pad doesn't have a near-equivalent aftermarket version.

The G pad is constructed with 2 foam densities in a seamless transition from inner to outer. That's why it costs $55. The aftermarket G pads don't do this. The Geekria G pad is more shallow as well. The official G pad will spike the treble at around 6khz, so if the headphone wasn't initially tuned to compensate for this, you'll need to EQ it down.
That was kind of my fear. Looking at the aftermarket G's none of them look close in terms of being constructed of dual density foams and in some cases the dimensions of the bowl look completely off. Ah well...

Jun 2, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #47,698 of 65,627
Because I’ve been giving my hemp some extra love lately, I’ve also been looking closer at it. I noticed some slight imperfections in the hemp/maple housings. Just wondering if this is normal, I need to ease my mind lol. Notice the small divot I circled, and I also circled the little hemp pieces pushing out near the driver. I’m sure it’s “fine”, it probably comes with the territory of using hemp. But I would be lying to myself if I didn’t need some other opinions on it:

F08EE06F-1240-42BD-B505-262DE2AB3915.jpegA08F93DA-276A-4911-9307-B6279EB74D6D.jpeg49DE02D3-4702-4DF7-8B5D-D2DA35061998.jpeg
It should be fine. Hemp "wood" is a composite wood made from the hemp fibers and crushed up stems being compressed together with an adhesive. As long as no chunks chip off, everything should be fine.

Jun 2, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #47,699 of 65,627
That was kind of my fear. Looking at the aftermarket G's none of them look close in terms of being constructed of dual density foams and in some cases the dimensions of the bowl look completely off. Ah well...

To be fair, the official G pad is reported to not sound good without EQ on any model that didn't have it as stock, except for the GH1 and RS1e. I never heard the GH1 so I can't comment about that, but the RS1e is a special case because it uses the 50mm driver that was tuned for the G pads anyway. However, I used a SR225i with G pads+EQ for years because the G pad presents a unique soundstage width that can't be replicated by any other pad.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back