Grado Fan Club!
May 13, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #47,191 of 65,563
Some new news about the X?
If they release the X, I think I must have a pair.
Already have to many HP.
Considering to sell MMX 300 and 225E

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #47,192 of 65,563
To be fair, if people want a low-end model, Vizio and TCL actually do have better offerings than the reputable brands like Sony/LG. The Sony X80J (their entry-level model) isn't comparatively good when you look at it in person. It's only when you go after their high-end that Sony puts considerable effort into their product. But most casuals will see Sony's OLED TV costing 3X as much and walk away. People only care if it's "good enough" and if it's large. Hey, that sounds like the casuals looking for headphones, too! If it's cheap and produces good bass, that's good enough for the casuals!

I’m not sure I agree. I mean, Vizio and TCL offer more features and better specs at those price points, but that’s sort of my point. Their specs are deceptive because the TVs are built like crap.

I haven’t been in the entry-level market, so I can’t comment on that, but I did shop for and buy a mid-range TV a couple years ago. I remember seeing the rave reviews from sites like RTings about the Vizio P-Series. It had nice picture quality, far more local dimming zones than an equivalently priced Sony, tons of features and I/O ports, high contrast ratios, deep blacks, a good white balance, and so on. I bought the TV and it turned out to be a piece of junk.

It had flickering problems, ‘jailbar’ effects and other artifacts, uneven backlighting, horrifically slow software, the built-in speakers were virtually unlistenable (even by TV standards), the build quality felt cheap, and there were even some defective HDMI outputs.

At first I chalked that up to bad luck. Every manufacturer has duds. That’s part of the game when you’re in the business of building complex tech products. But the more research I did, the more I realized that these problems were incredibly common. This was not just bad luck and this was not just a vocal minority - this was a product that was genuinely built like crap. I even spoke to various store clerks who quietly said that Vizio TVs had astronomically high return rates compared to the big brands.

That’s why the TVs are able to be so cheap. The reason they’re able to offer high end features and technologies at mid to low end prices is because they cut every corner to get there. Offering hundreds of FALD (full-array local dimming) zones seems impressive until you see that the backlight flickers like crazy and constantly creates all sorts of awful looking results, no matter how much you try to adjust the settings and software.

That’s my point here. If you’re on a medium to low budget, you can absolutely get a Vizio or TCL with better picture quality than a Sony or LG or Samsung at the same price point. But when you actually take home that Vizio or TCL, you’ll start to encounter its many problems, and chances are that you’ll end up being a lot less happy with it than you would have been with an equivalent Sony that perhaps isn’t as bright or doesn’t offer as deep blacks. When buying a brand like Vizio, you think you’re cheating the system. The thought process is “I would have had to spend hundreds more to get these specs on a Sony!” but in reality, it’s a mirage. You’re not cheating the system; you’re just trading away overall product quality so that you can get slightly better metrics and specs.

Specs are important but quality-of-life factors are more important, and those aren’t given nearly enough emphasis by review sites like RTings.

May 13, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #47,193 of 65,563
And notice that the pictures used at this site are clearly the 325e. On Grado website, Reviews page, you will see "SR60x, SR80x", and if you click the > icon next to any phone with 'x', you will see the reviews for the SR60i, SR60s, etc., all the vaiations over the years.

1620940783864.png

I could be wrong, but I honestly do not think there is a new 'X' series -- Grado folks may be chuckling to see how long the rumor of this new line keeps going!

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #47,194 of 65,563
Obviously there wouldn't be any reviews of the X series yet, as it's not out. Grado has displayed the older revision reviews for some time, as it doesn't cost them anything to keep them up. They kept the I series reviews when the E series was launched.

Anyway, I think the X series is real. No way a random retail site goes through all that trouble to doctor up a picture like that.

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #47,195 of 65,563
Interesting , Can we conclude the hemps glory is simply achieved by the use of the F pad ??? .
I have an RS2e with both L Cush & TTVJ Deluxe & Normal flat pads.

The F-cush pads are a big part of the tuning, but the driver has great technical capabilities, especially it's dynamics and impact. Even with the L-cush pads the Hemps just hit hard.

I should have a pair of near mint GH-2 on the way. I'll compare the Hemps to those with both F and L pads to see if the impact is unique to the Hemps or something all Grados do similarly well.

May 13, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #47,196 of 65,563
I’m curious, how are the technical abilities of the GS1000e/2000e/3000e and PS2000e?

Are they actually considered upgrades over the Hemp and RS2e or are they merely a slightly different sound signature?

I mentioned this earlier, but it seems like Grado competes extremely well in the $400-$1000 range, even on technical factors like detail and sound stage. But what about the pricier headphones? Can they stand up to competitors in the $1395-$2695 range or do they get outclassed by offerings from Focal, Audeze, Hifiman, and so on?

May 13, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #47,197 of 65,563
Can they stand up to competitors in the $1395-$2695 range or do they get outclassed by offerings from Focal, Audeze, Hifiman, and so on?
There isn't actually much competition. The only headphones around the same weight are the Sennheiser HD800S, Audio-Technica X5000, and Stax SR007. I crossed off virtually every Focal/Audeze/Hifiman/ZMF because I didn't want to wear a 450+ gram monster.

May 13, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #47,199 of 65,563
I have never heard a GS series Grado, but I have PS2000e's, and with my Kenzie amp by Ampsandsound they are at the top of the hill in dynamic
phones. My friend who owns Focal Ultimate phones likes mine better!
Doug

May 14, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #47,201 of 65,563
The F-cush pads are a big part of the tuning, but the driver has great technical capabilities, especially it's dynamics and impact. Even with the L-cush pads the Hemps just hit hard.

I should have a pair of near mint GH-2 on the way. I'll compare the Hemps to those with both F and L pads to see if the impact is unique to the Hemps or something all Grados do similarly well.
I am hinting that you will find the F pads do very well with the GH2 as well. I have all of the pictured pads (also had Beautiful Audio's L), and have settled on the F pad for both of my Hemp and Bushmills. Close close second being the yellows/purple S pads. Something about the F but also I feel it may work particularly well for the bass heavy models. Being farther away just ruins the bass on both of my models for me.

Attachments

• 20210506_161038.jpg
    20210506_161038.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
May 14, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #47,203 of 65,563
Hey fellas, I'm interested to reterminate my single-ended PS2k to 4-pin XLR. Any of you gentlemen have experience doing that? I'm an advanced beginner (lol) with a soldering iron, but the general consensus is that with Grado cables, the mod is pretty straightforward.

May 14, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #47,204 of 65,563
Hi all. Just curious if anyone has purchased a pair of Grados from Moon Audio and had them re-cabled balanced? Does it void the warranty? Thanks in advance.
I did just that for my Grado RS1e. They are removable cables now so I have single ended and balanced. To be honest, I never inquired about whether or not this modification voids the warranty. My guess is that yes, the warranty is voided.

May 14, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #47,205 of 65,563

Users who are viewing this thread

Back