Grado Fan Club!
Apr 7, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #46,801 of 65,584
After reading this,I bought these 2 album I plan to buy on cd instead of Tidal Store.
(Ref my earlier posts)

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #46,802 of 65,584
Hi guys! It has been quite a while since I’ve been gone from Headfi.

Anyways, I recently got a vintage RS2 and thought it will be my end game (silly me). However, it sounds a tad too sharp in my opinion. Does anyone find the buttoned RS2 sharp too?

It is with great sadness that I will be selling those for another alternative

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #46,803 of 65,584

Anyways, I recently got a vintage RS2 and thought it will be my end game (silly me). However, it sounds a tad too sharp in my opinion. Does anyone find the buttoned RS2 sharp too?

It's been years and years since I had the buttoned rs2 but if you find it too sharp you could try different pads like the ttvj flats. If you definitely like the Grado sound you could sell the rs2 and get the Grado Hemp (used) for about the same price. Just make sure it comes with the stock flat pads and not something else.

Apr 7, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #46,804 of 65,584
It's been years and years since I had the buttoned rs2 but if you find it too sharp you could try different pads like the ttvj flats. I'd you definitely like the Grado sound you could sell the rs2 and get the Grado Hemp (used) for about the same price. Just make sure it comes with the stock flat pads and not something else.
Thanks for the advice!

Apr 8, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #46,806 of 65,584

Hate to see you sell such a good phone when a small bit of EQ could help bring down the 5-10K span. Of course that assumes you are using a source that allows EQ adjustments.

Another option is to try three larger G crush earpads, esp some of the Geekria pads. They take a bit of the bite out of most Grados IMO.

I have the newer RS2e, and I think with many of the 'e' models that Grado smoothed the trebled down a bit. I know the 325e I had a years ago was much easier on my ears than the older 325i I got to hear.n

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #46,807 of 65,584
Hate to see you sell such a good phone when a small bit of EQ could help bring down the 5-10K span. Of course that assumes you are using a source that allows EQ adjustments.

I have the newer RS2e, and I think with many of the 'e' models that Grado smoothed the trebled down a bit. I know the 325e I had a years ago was much easier on my ears than the older 325i I got to hear.n
I used to have the ‘E’ version. I like that more actually.

I wanted the vintage one because of its beauty and rarity. If the sound doesn’t suit me then I guess it ain’t worth it

I hope I am not breaking any rules by saying that if anybody is interested with the headphones, just PM me!

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #46,808 of 65,584
New Elex arrives today, so very curious whether that will tick both Grado and Sennheiser boxes in some useful way.

But this morning, just a GH1/L, driven by a Modi Multibit and a battery RA-1. Still, if you add it up, that's about a $1k system...

Arkenstone catalog, and just WOW, so good. It's shocking what a textbook 40-yo opamp can do with these: gain and level setting resistances, bypass and input coupling capacitances, 2 modern lithium cells and an ancient chip. Stone knives and bear skins.

With a nice Jen Pfeifer shiraz, whose label says "Rock it like a redhead." Schiit yeah.

Apr 8, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #46,809 of 65,584
The regular ttvj flat and deluxe ttvj flat look so much alike that they had to mark the deluxe pads with a little silver dot on the inside to be able to tell them apart. I doubt anyone could tell them apart in pictures alone when mounted to a headphone.
Fantastic! many thanks. Found the silver dots on one of the pads, then realised that I had mixed them up having one of each on my hemps😜Now everything is in place, but I must admit that the difference between the standard and deluxe pad doesn’t feel like 15$. But at least now I know which is which😄

Apr 8, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #46,810 of 65,584
Fantastic! many thanks. Found the silver dots on one of the pads, then realised that I had mixed them up having one of each on my hemps😜Now everything is in place, but I must admit that the difference between the standard and deluxe pad doesn’t feel like 15$. But at least now I know which is which😄

The rule of the diminishing returns in audio is apparently also applicable to pads. :sunglasses:

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #46,811 of 65,584

The rule of the diminishing returns in audio is apparently also applicable to pads. :sunglasses:

Perhaps the silver dots cost $7.50 each... :wink:

Apr 8, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #46,812 of 65,584
Last day of my holidays. Lots of time to relax, browse the web, and look at headphones! Which has lead me to both buying a set of PS500e’s and ordering 2 more sets of shipibo aluminium sets so all my grado’s can have them! I got one black one classic satin. I’m thinking satin on the GH2’s, black on the Hemps and PS500e.

Apr 9, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #46,814 of 65,584
Was looking for headphone broach really. But not easy to find. But I did find this company ( UK ) who make small badges to almost any style, picture etc .....But they already had this design. You have to spend £4 for any order ....Anyway arrived today ...they're ok .. They can make any style ...

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1617965067420.jpg
    FB_IMG_1617965067420.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 0
Apr 9, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #46,815 of 65,584
Last day of my holidays. Lots of time to relax, browse the web, and look at headphones! Which has lead me to both buying a set of PS500e’s and ordering 2 more sets of shipibo aluminium sets so all my grado’s can have them! I got one black one classic satin. I’m thinking satin on the GH2’s, black on the Hemps and PS500e.
The PS500e are awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back