Grado Fan Club!
Apr 2, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #46,711 of 65,554
Did you get the Shipobo leather headband? If so, can you post another picture?

I have never seen a good picture of that headband (the pictures on the Shipobo site are not that good).

Yes, they are the normal pads (there is a wide version too). Not much to see here, it has a bit more padding as the stock. Other than that it is a black leather headband :)

01A9A5E0-1862-4570-B3FF-DF4AC5DC5BCC.jpeg

70A5D41B-F98F-45BF-9359-334219C16EB9.jpeg

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #46,712 of 65,554
Nothing wrong at all about having multiple brands. Grado is what got me into the hobby since I can't have my 2 channel setup pumping 100+ dB all day with the family home. GH2 are my "standards". But dammit if Audeze don't make some very well built phones that are detailed and are even REALLY good with some EQ. I got the Sundara for the price and I wanted an open planar, even though it gets the least use. Still have a Senny I use for ham radio at least LOL. But yeah, each one adds some character I can choose from at the end of the day!
Right. But in my case the “Grado sound” formed my expactations heavily. It’s the zero point. I couldn’t live together with the ZMF Atticus and Verité Open because they were just muffled, slow compared to my Grado (for me). It was different, for sure, but too off for me. The LCD2 has potential, but it is heavy. But I can see keeping them just for the variety.

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #46,713 of 65,554
Is Topping D10s and Grado a good match?

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #46,714 of 65,554
First off all there is wiring diagramm for both the 4 pin XLR and the pentacon connector. The trick is to find out which color is the right chanel (in this case white cables were the right chanel and the red were the left - bit uncommon). Then you have to find out which 2 from the 4 black wires are going together with the sides.

It can be done with a multimeter for example. You take one colored wire (for example red) and measure the resistance. The black ones going to the same side will show a value (about 30Ohms) the other side is infinite (no connection). You can find out which color is which side by listening to the headphone while connecting the multimeter to the wire. You will here some noise/small cracking when you connect the mutimeter.

I do this measurements really fast, just a second really, because the multimeter uses DC voltage to measure the resistance and it is not ideal for the membran. It won’t do any harm in this situation (voltage is really low) but better to be safe then sorry.
Since they're grado, you should be able to just look in the back to figure out which color is which side. Looking in my SR60i, like what you have, white is right and red is left (backward from nearly everything else). Since you're re-terminating the plug, you could wire it white left and red right, and just swap the cups.

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #46,715 of 65,554
Y
Since they're grado, you should be able to just look in the back to figure out which color is which side. Looking in my SR60i, like what you have, white is right and red is left (backward from nearly everything else). Since you're re-terminating the plug, you could wire it white left and red right, and just swap the cups.
Yes, you are right. But you still have to find the correct black cables for the sides by going balanced.

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #46,716 of 65,554
I did give up the idea, that I will find my ultimate and one-and-only headphone, which means a certain collection will be amassed. But how to store them? I never liked the “wand of headphone” solutions. Too clumsy, especially if the cables are also attached to the headphones. Plus there is no protection against dust if the headphones are just around. So I went with Ikea instead and I donated a drawer for each headphone. Plus I ordered some laser engraved tablets...here is my small Grado collection :)

Here's my headphone "storage". I have more that I don't use as often stored in their cases or bags in a cabinet. I really like the drawers for each, wish I had the room for something like that.
IMG_3415.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #46,717 of 65,554
Right. But in my case the “Grado sound” formed my expactations heavily. It’s the zero point. I couldn’t live together with the ZMF Atticus and Verité Open because they were just muffled, slow compared to my Grado (for me). It was different, for sure, but too off for me. The LCD2 has potential, but it is heavy. But I can see keeping them just for the variety.
100% for me too. I came from a 2 channel background, I was that guy in the dorm (in the 2000s nonetheless) cranking Peter Frampton out of my Adcom 350w per channel amp and still prefer actual speakers over headphones. But Grado came as close as I could to a portable version of that sound. GH2s are my reference for any pair basically!

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #46,719 of 65,554
I bought the Shipobo Aluminium set for my GH2. Really impressed. Beyond the look, it just makes them feel so much better. I’ll be doing the same to the Hemps as soon as they have stock again. I’m rocking the GH2 with Beautiful Audio pads and headband. Really happy with them.

I’ve been on a pad buying spree as well. I have Grado L, G, Geekria S, L, G (on the way), Beautiful Audio Small hybrid, Large hybrid and the Shipobo pads. And I’ve just about convinced myself to buy a set of PS500e’s.

Does anyone know the diameter of the PS500e’s? I’m curious if it’s the same as the GH2 so the BA pads will fit both.

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #46,720 of 65,554
I bought the Shipobo Aluminium set for my GH2. Really impressed. Beyond the look, it just makes them feel so much better. I’ll be doing the same to the Hemps as soon as they have stock again. I’m rocking the GH2 with Beautiful Audio pads and headband.

wrQwvyK.gif

Apr 2, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #46,722 of 65,554
Apr 2, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #46,723 of 65,554
I received a pair of pre owned Hemps today. Question: have any of you compared the F-pads with ttvj flat pads? Or even ttvj deluxe pads?
The F pads ARE ttvj pads (normal, not the Deluxe type).

Apr 2, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #46,724 of 65,554
The F pads ARE ttvj pads (normal, not the Deluxe type).
I actually think that the stock hemp pads ARE the ttvj deluxe pads. I ordered the deluxe pads and they seem to be identical, not just in look but also in texture/feel.

Apr 3, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #46,725 of 65,554
I actually think that the stock hemp pads ARE the ttvj deluxe pads. I ordered the deluxe pads and they seem to be identical, not just in look but also in texture/feel.

I also compared them to the ttvj pads I own. I thought they were the normal pads, but perhaps I ordered the deluxe pads. Who knows...it was years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back