Grado Fan Club!
Apr 2, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #46,696 of 65,624
Apr 2, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #46,697 of 65,624
Looks like the 4ourears store has most of the SR in stock, only the SR60 still listed as out of stock.
You spoke too soon! All but the SR225e is out again.

Apr 2, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #46,698 of 65,624
You spoke too soon! All but the SR225e is out again.
COVID seems to be good business for grocery delivery guys and audio gear companies!

Apr 2, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #46,699 of 65,624
That is awesome! I love the accessories drawer too. Because every Grado-head surely has a stash of extra earpads and adaptors and stuff.

I did give up the idea, that I will find my ultimate and one-and-only headphone, which means a certain collection will be amassed. But how to store them? I never liked the “wand of headphone” solutions. Too clumsy, especially if the cables are also attached to the headphones. Plus there is no protection against dust if the headphones are just around. So I went with Ikea instead and I donated a drawer for each headphone. Plus I ordered some laser engraved tablets...here is my small Grado collection :)

40F72E4F-E4F7-46E3-B949-5FB39E5E8376.jpeg
E301D21C-090C-4C67-8050-C5CD2DBD170D.jpeg

I love how the Audeze is just hanging there, while the Grado models get their own little protected and labeled storage space. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Apr 2, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #46,700 of 65,624
Well if it wasn't the Grado fanclub thread there would be a significant risk somebody would suggest the Audezes are the ones he listens to all the time and the Grados are drawer Queens :D

No, I didn't even think it! :wink:

Apr 2, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #46,701 of 65,624
Well if it wasn't the Grado fanclub thread there would be a significant risk somebody would suggest the Audezes are the ones he listens to all the time and the Grados are drawer Queens :D

No, I didn't even think it! :wink:

We know carboncopy better than that.

Thought the fact that there is an Audeze hanging there makes me wonder about him now. Hmm. :thinking:

Apr 2, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #46,702 of 65,624
We know carboncopy better than that.

Thought the fact that there is an Audeze hanging there makes me wonder about him now. Hmm. :thinking:

Hey...I have a Cascade too :) The Audeze I got this week. Used ones, with a very good price. Never heard it, so...why not. One is sure. I used it for maybe 2 hours or something yesterday and I feel my neck. They are heavy. At the end of the day I reverted back to the HP2i. And...they can not have a drawer, they are too big.

Apr 2, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #46,703 of 65,624
At the end of the day I reverted back to the HP2i.

giphy (1).gif

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #46,704 of 65,624
Back to the track...a finished the upgrades to my HEMP. Complete Shipobo set (gimbal+rod+steel band+leahter) and changed the 4 pin XLR to 4.4 pentacon. That was not easy to soldier.

D574074D-B645-4BA9-865F-012B21D9646A.jpeg

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #46,705 of 65,624
How do you get the wires correct when reterminating?

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #46,706 of 65,624
How do you get the wires correct when reterminating?

First off all there is wiring diagramm for both the 4 pin XLR and the pentacon connector. The trick is to find out which color is the right chanel (in this case white cables were the right chanel and the red were the left - bit uncommon). Then you have to find out which 2 from the 4 black wires are going together with the sides.

It can be done with a multimeter for example. You take one colored wire (for example red) and measure the resistance. The black ones going to the same side will show a value (about 30Ohms) the other side is infinite (no connection). You can find out which color is which side by listening to the headphone while connecting the multimeter to the wire. You will here some noise/small cracking when you connect the mutimeter.

I do this measurements really fast, just a second really, because the multimeter uses DC voltage to measure the resistance and it is not ideal for the membran. It won’t do any harm in this situation (voltage is really low) but better to be safe then sorry.

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #46,707 of 65,624
Back to the track...a finished the upgrades to my HEMP. Complete Shipobo set (gimbal+rod+steel band+leahter)

Did you get the Shipobo leather headband? If so, can you post another picture?

I have never seen a good picture of that headband (the pictures on the Shipobo site are not that good).

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #46,708 of 65,624
First off all there is wiring diagramm for both the 4 pin XLR and the pentacon connector. The trick is to find out which color is the right chanel (in this case white cables were the right chanel and the red were the left - bit uncommon). Then you have to find out which 2 from the 4 black wires are going together with the sides.

It can be done with a multimeter for example. You take one colored wire (for example red) and measure the resistance. The black ones going to the same side will show a value (about 30Ohms) the other side is infinite (no connection). You can find out which color is which side by listening to the headphone while connecting the multimeter to the wire. You will here some noise/small cracking when you connect the mutimeter.

I do this measurements really fast, just a second really, because the multimeter uses DC voltage to measure the resistance and it is not ideal for the membran. It won’t do any harm in this situation (voltage is really low) but better to be safe then sorry.
That was my question. I would not have taken the chance at burning up the drivers.

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #46,709 of 65,624
That was my question. I would not have taken the chance at burning up the drivers.

I did not took any risk here. Much-much more is needed to “burn” the drivers (voltage and time wise too). But you are right, one has to be cautious with such things. I am an EE by trade, so I have some insight what to do and how to do.

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #46,710 of 65,624
Nothing wrong at all about having multiple brands. Grado is what got me into the hobby since I can't have my 2 channel setup pumping 100+ dB all day with the family home. GH2 are my "standards". But dammit if Audeze don't make some very well built phones that are detailed and are even REALLY good with some EQ. I got the Sundara for the price and I wanted an open planar, even though it gets the least use. Still have a Senny I use for ham radio at least LOL. But yeah, each one adds some character I can choose from at the end of the day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back