Grado Fan Club!
Mar 27, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #46,561 of 65,621
Yes, if you hear it you should be able to measure it. But if you can't correlate the measurement to what you're hearing I don't think that is a refutation of what is being heard.

Rather, it seems increasingly obvious people do not yet know how to measure what affects sound quality. There is little correlation between current measurements and how good something sounds.
You're correct in that there isn't much, but that's not because it's difficult, it's because it's not in the interests of those who have the cash available to conduct that sort of objective testing. The hifi "industry" is largely built on subjective influence (like fashion) not science. The little amounts of science are carefully managed and drip fed wherever it can have a positive impact. From a technical standpoint, it's not particularly challenging, but who would pay for it?
I also got to try out the GH4 and compare them to the Hemp. I definitely preferred the Hemp.
Ooh, why? I was thinking of hunting these down!

Mar 27, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #46,562 of 65,621
Well, the hemps sure are fun!
Seen some different opinions about pad choices, bought some Geekria large (model number EJZ-0047-04).
But these requires me to bend the headband in quite a bit, anyone here tried this combo?
As im satisfied with the stock ones, they will have to do for the time being.

How these handle lows are the most impressive part for me thus far, just so playful and still crisp.
Nice addition to the rotation.

Mar 27, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #46,563 of 65,621
Seen some different opinions about pad choices, bought some Geekria large (model number EJZ-0047-04).
But these requires me to bend the headband in quite a bit, anyone here tried this combo?

How these handle lows are the most impressive part for me thus far, just so playful and still crisp.
I've tried a handful of pads on them, the stock Grado S-cush, the L-cush, and the Geekria comfort (the flatter donut). I haven't tried that one specifically but the bowl shape tells me it should do something similar to the L-cush and I think while it can sound okay, it won't have the "in your face" punch that they have stock.

Mar 27, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #46,564 of 65,621
I've tried a handful of pads on them, the stock Grado S-cush, the L-cush, and the Geekria comfort (the flatter donut). I haven't tried that one specifically but the bowl shape tells me it should do something similar to the L-cush and I think while it can sound okay, it won't have the "in your face" punch that they have stock.

Thanks for the information, will probably stick with the stock ones until something interesting pops up.

Mar 27, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #46,565 of 65,621

Yes they are quite fun. I just picked these up about a month ago after seeing all the love for them and was pleasantly surprised on how good they sound. One thing I will say as I really don’t like the stock pads at all I just do not like a on ear headphone but did have a extra pair of pads that I got for my old RS1’s ( that I sold last year) that do make them much better for me.

Mar 27, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #46,566 of 65,621
Yes they are quite fun. I just picked these up about a month ago after seeing all the love for them and was pleasantly surprised on how good they sound. One thing I will say as I really don’t like the stock pads at all I just do not like a on ear headphone but did have a extra pair of pads that I got for my old RS1’s ( that I sold last year) that do make them much better for me.

How far away from the driver does these pads put you compared to stocks?

Mar 27, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #46,567 of 65,621
I’m not versed in the Grado pads which are these ? Sorry haven’t posted a pic in a while and didn’t do what I wanted.

Attachments

• 9BAA5FCB-3BF7-4503-B2C7-BF10E565DA29.jpeg
    9BAA5FCB-3BF7-4503-B2C7-BF10E565DA29.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • EEE58BB1-5D70-4C0F-8168-9A2374594557.jpeg
    EEE58BB1-5D70-4C0F-8168-9A2374594557.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #46,568 of 65,621
I know for a fact that one thing that Grado is not is complacent. John is always looking ahead and seeking out even better performance. I have seen some models that took years to come to market. Over the years he has always looked for the best performance possible in whatever category and price range he is working on whether headphones or phono cartridges.
Oh I agree with the performance argument, Grado has mentioned something along those lines with the release of the hemp, in a news release they claimed they learnt a lot from designing the hemp and it was the result of a lot of testing. When I was talking about complacency I wasn't talking about the performance however.

Mar 27, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #46,569 of 65,621
I really like Grado but it happens that the SR-325 is one of two models that I never really enjoyed. That does not mean I therefore do not like Grados. I have always had Grado in my collection even before I could call it a collection. With all the different phones I have my different Grados get a very large portion of my listening time. I also feel that many people might not play around with fit as much as they should. There is quite a lot that fine tuning can achieve in better fit, comfort and sound.

Back to opinions someone earlier mentioned Zeo. I usually enjoy his videos but have on a number of occasions did not at all agree with his opinions on headphones that I own and have had extensive experience with.

That is okay as it again boils down to what each of us think, not that there is a right or wrong.

Enjoy the journey.
I only shared that comment because of how widespread the complaints about the pads were.

I however love the sr325 although I find them a tad bright

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #46,570 of 65,621
Let’s not forget this whole hobby we share is still down to our own subjective tastes and opinions. Grado has continually improved their line & performance (to my ears) since the very beginning with Joe Grado’s Signature series and continued with John’s total expansion of the line. As far as opinions there is of course the myriad of awards, great reviews from multiple valid sources in the industry that Grado has garnered throughout the years.
No disagreement here

Mar 27, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #46,571 of 65,621
Will not say my 325 are bright.
Sounds more backward and relaxing than my 225e.
My 225e are more forward and engaging.

Mar 27, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #46,572 of 65,621
I'd love to see the tuning process of a new limited edition. Like how that works, the way they sit and analyze each one, all that stuff.
The tuning process and evolution of a Limited Production model would not be much different than what needs to be done when a new series (e at the moment) is to be introduced. On a Limited Series they are just starting with ideas and what they think they want the model to achieve and are usually starting from scratch. On new replacement models (i series to e) I would think they are building on the former model to evolve with better performance
within that framework. A LOT of listening must surely be a part for both.

Then again, perhaps it is just a magic wand that actually leads the way.
Regardless, in my opinion they certainly get results and for this I thank them.

Mar 27, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #46,573 of 65,621
Will not say my 325 are bright.
Sounds more backward and relaxing than my 225e.
My 225e are more forward and engaging.
Those gold sr325 look super interesting, I hope to own a pair some day

Mar 27, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #46,574 of 65,621
Ooh, why? I was thinking of hunting these down!

I’m not really the right person to ask because I don’t have a whole lot of experience comparing Grados. The Hemp are only the second pair I own (after the SR60, which I’ve had for almost 20 years). I’ve heard a few other pairs over the years, but it’s mostly just from walking into a store and listening for a few minutes here and there.

In other words, I don’t have extended listening time with the Grado sound signature, so I can’t tell you how the GH4 compare to other Grados. What I can tell you is that just generally as a headphone listener, I can say that the GH4 have more of that sound that people typically associate with Grado - ie. more of a mid/high focus and less bass.

The Hemp are considered an outlier in the Grado lineup because while they still have the recognizable Grado sound, they’re more balanced and thus, may appeal to a wider audience. The GH4 sounded quite good to me, but I have no idea whether they’re better or worse than something like an RS2e or PS500e. What I can say is that the Hemp hit harder than the GH4 and that made them the clear choice for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back