Grado Fan Club!
Mar 15, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #46,156 of 65,582
Back to Grados, has anyone tried the he5xx? From its description it sounds like a contender for one of the most Grado like planars considering they're being described as aggressive and fun? Wondering if anyone here has compared them to their Grados
I had them, they are bright but not in a fun way like Grados. Grados are good as they are, I don't see the need for a planar version just for the sake of it being planar.

Mar 15, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #46,157 of 65,582
I'm struggling to understand how changing features to make them more popular is going to make any difference to my experience? If you extend that argument, then why not make the sound quality more mainstream? I really don't care how popular or unpopular they are, it's not a beauty parade surely?

Mar 15, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #46,158 of 65,582
I'm struggling to understand how changing features to make them more popular is going to make any difference to my experience? If you extend that argument, then why not make the sound quality more mainstream? I really don't care how popular or unpopular they are, it's not a beauty parade surely?
If Grado released more comfortable variants(aside from other possible improvements) of your favorite Grados would you buy them? You may not but I for sure would. Easy user experience upgrade right there.
Wanting the brand you love to have a larger customer base should be a reason in itself, as well as improving the user experience of their products.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #46,159 of 65,582
I had them, they are bright but not in a fun way like Grados. Grados are good as they are, I don't see the need for a planar version just for the sake of it being planar.
You've helped me not buy another headphone, my wallet thanks you dearly 😁

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #46,161 of 65,582
It's getting pretty spicy up in here today.

We the people of Grado Nation hold these truths to be self-evident.

1) Grado cables are a pain in the ass unless you need one to strangle a rat.
2) Grado earpads are not exactly "luxurious" or "comfortable" or "high quality" but they are highly functional.
3) complaining about 1) and 2) is protected speech by the Grado Owners Bill of Rights.
4) if $32 is too much money for something then maybe this isn't a good hobby for you
5) Gaslighting is a serious form of psychological abuse whereby someone bullies someone else into thinking that what they clearly hear and see isn't really happening
6) Gaslighting isn't arguing with an anonymous rando on the internet
7) The 325i gold edition has markedly weak bass compared with other Grados.
8) If you've owned one long enough for the earpads to disintegrate then you've clearly found a way to manage in spite of this

Mar 15, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #46,162 of 65,582
It's getting pretty spicy up in here today.

We the people of Grado Nation hold these truths to be self-evident.

1) Grado cables are a pain in the ass unless you need one to strangle a rat.
2) Grado earpads are not exactly "luxurious" or "comfortable" or "high quality" but they are highly functional.
3) complaining about 1) and 2) is protected speech by the Grado Owners Bill of Rights.
4) if $32 is too much money for something then maybe this isn't a good hobby for you
5) Gaslighting is a serious form of psychological abuse whereby someone bullies someone else into thinking that what they clearly hear and see isn't really happening
6) Gaslighting isn't arguing with an anonymous rando on the internet
7) The 325i gold edition has markedly weak bass compared with other Grados.
8) If you've owned one long enough for the earpads to disintegrate then you've clearly found a way to manage in spite of this
You're wrong about point 6 though? It's a form of argument made, it's a manipulative technique inducing doubt which leads to questioning ones own experiences, and this can happen in any medium. For example here if I have a certain experience with a headphone and it is a pretty big deal for me and if someone tries to convince me otherwise like what was done here repeatedly that these issues are minor and not worth consideration(how can he decide that for me?), this is a clear case right here. People often mistake gaslighting for only existing in their most drastic long term variants (or mistaking the byproducts of gaslighting as gaslighting itself)

But I like your post, there's something in there to offend everyone 😆

Also point 4 and 8 does not follow from the actual argument that was made

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #46,163 of 65,582
For all of your benefit I won't speak anymore on this topic, cheers lads and enjoy your Grados. I have another pair of sr225e's on order, miss them dearly 😁

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #46,164 of 65,582
I'll happily say the pads aren't terribly comfortable and that the needlessly thick cables being fixed is ridiculously inconvenient. However, I'm not over here pissing on Grado like they're being greedy about it or whatever.

No headphone is perfect, but the extent to which some people will throw a fit over pretty minor things is just mindblowing.
Grado is the way it is because it hasn't changed. If you don't like it don't buy it. No need to bitch about it. JMO.

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #46,165 of 65,582
Grado is the way it is because it hasn't changed. If you don't like it don't buy it. No need to bitch about it. JMO.
Ergo decedo

Mar 16, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #46,166 of 65,582
Multi-density foam components are not banal.

It may look like disposable packaging material, but it really isn’t.

Coming from the motor industry, I am aware of the time, effort and development costs that go, for instance, into seat foams.

Mar 16, 2021 at 4:49 AM Post #46,167 of 65,582
The postservice has not found my 325 Gold. Lost!
I get money back..

Mar 16, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #46,168 of 65,582
a. I like the Grado cables. They ooze reliability. Also as they can't be removed i am not obligated to try out a gazillion other cables to find out which sounds the best. And if i really wanted to change cables i could by tinkering.

b. I like the Grado concept of foam ear pads. It's quirky and special. It lets me try out different pads (but that's mostly not necessary) or just replace a used one easily. They feel good to my ears (not the S or the F though). Also ear pads of other headphones have to be replaced too. My OPPO PM-3s pads fell apart within 18 months.

c. What i am really not a fan of is the flimsy plastic rodblocks and gimbals. They are ok up to the SR225 but after that they should be delievered with better wood or metal rodblocks and gimbals. But all that can be remedied with Shipibo and Turbulent Labs.

d. I like that i can tinker around with my Grados.

e. I like the vintage feel and overall quirkyness. Grado is a little like Leica cameras. They are expensive and quirky and a lot of people can't understand why you not just buy a Sony cam for a tenth of the price.

Mar 16, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #46,170 of 65,582
It takes 5 minutes.

For the gimbals and rod blocks. Cups take a little longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back