Grado Fan Club!
Mar 4, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #45,842 of 66,261
Another cool thing about having more than one good headphone is that you can admire your other headphones while listening to one lol. With Grados is very easy to swoon. After a two album stretch listening on the GH3 (Bowie- Diamond Dogs, Janelle Monáe- Archandroid) , I have moved on to listening on the Hemp (Judas Priest- Stained Class) while admiring the GH3!

Mar 4, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #45,843 of 66,261
Really interesting comparison you made between the 2000e and 3000e. That was one of my biggest questions here, as I had seen that Joshua Valour video and that made me really question the entire Statement series. In his opinion, the $1400 GS2000e isn’t merely overprice and isn’t merely providing diminishing returns compared to the SR80e, but he just outright says that he thinks the SR80e is a better headphone, regardless of price. And if a $1400 headphone sounds the same or worse than a $100 headphone, something is seriously wrong. The fact that you don’t like it either but seem to love the GS3000e give me hope that the problem isn’t with the entire high end Grado lineup but rather, with that particular headphone.

The 50mm driver Grados have this strange tuning where the midbass hump is moved from 90hz to 150hz. This makes the sound fuller instead of providing the toe-tapping bass slam. The G pads on all the high-end models also introduce a 6k spike. This is a flaw of the pad, as if you put the G pad on the Hemp, it gets the exact same spike. Some people are very sensitive to this, others aren't. So at stock, every statement model has somewhat of a muddiness introduced by the midbass hump, and a nasty 6k spike that makes you wince when you hear a hi-hat or cymbal. This is a confused sound, because you get no bass slam, and a fistful of tizziness at a particular frequency. It works at low volume due to the equal-loudness phenomenon, but not at high volume. At least for the GS2000e driver, there's also this grain that's prominent at higher volume. This is what Joshua Valour heard and that's why he hated it.

As for the EQ I use, I had a previous post where I tried the AutoEQ profile, tuned to the Harman curve. It was way too dark for me compared to my own EQ curve. Note that both curves EQ up 60hz, EQ down 150hz, and EQ down 6khz. Note that the equal-loudness phenomenon plays a large role as to whether you enjoy the Grado sound. My curve was suited for more quiet listening (~60db), but I have since made a second profile (graph and code below) for higher volume (~80db) when I want to rock out, which puts the mid and treble adjustment in between the two curves and minimizes any musical treble spikes.

I still think that for non-tweakers and those who prefer something more neutral, the GH4/RS2e/Hemp is the way to go. The Hemp is tuned in such a manner that you can go >90db and not wince at the treble. I love my GS3000e but I'm sure not running it at stock, so my experience is unique, even when compared to other GS3000e owners. I've tweaked the sound for maximum bass depth and soundstage width by using the iFi iCAN Pro, which isn't a neutral amp. So what I'm hearing isn't what other GS3000e owners are hearing. But it works for me because I wanted a Grado that can do <40hz, and the GS3000e is the one model that can do that on my rig. As for the PS2000e, it was never a consideration for me because it costs 50% more than the GS3000e and weighs >500g.

I hope that answers your question. In a way, you are correct in that the Statement models aren't pure upgrades. But they work for some people. As okrelayer stated earlier that the models are like different recipes. And he got the GH3 (which nobody else in this thread seems to have) over the GH4 because he was looking for his specific preference instead of a "better" model.

CurrentEQ.PNG

Channel: all
Preamp: -14 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 10 Hz Gain 6.7 dB Q 0.3
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 30 Hz Gain 4 dB Q 0.8
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 60 Hz Gain 9 dB Q 0.6
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 90 Hz Gain 3.2 dB Q 1.6
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 110 Hz Gain 1.2 dB Q 1.6
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 180 Hz Gain -1.8 dB Q 1
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 400 Hz Gain 0.5 dB Q 1.8
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 500 Hz Gain 6.5 dB Q 0.7
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 1000 Hz Gain 4.3 dB Q 0.8
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 1500 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 1
Filter 11: ON PK Fc 2000 Hz Gain 6.5 dB Q 0.8
Filter 12: ON PK Fc 3000 Hz Gain 0.5 dB Q 1.5
Filter 13: ON PK Fc 4000 Hz Gain 2.5 dB Q 2
Filter 14: ON PK Fc 6000 Hz Gain -3.2 dB Q 2
Filter 15: ON PK Fc 7500 Hz Gain 3 dB Q 0.8
Filter 16: ON PK Fc 9000 Hz Gain 1.5 dB Q 1.5
Filter 17: ON PK Fc 12000 Hz Gain 2.5 dB Q 1
Filter 18: ON PK Fc 16000 Hz Gain 4.5 dB Q 1.5
Filter 19: ON PK Fc 20000 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 2
Filter 20: ON LPQ Fc 22000 Hz Q 1

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #45,844 of 66,261
Another cool thing about having more than one good headphone is that you can admire your other headphones while listening to one lol. With Grados is very easy to swoon. After a two album stretch listening on the GH3 (Bowie- Diamond Dogs, Janelle Monáe- Archandroid) , I have moved on to listening on the Hemp (Judas Priest- Stained Class) while admiring the GH3!

I kept bopping between the Beyer and the Hemp and jeez it really is hard. Keeping both is a stretch because of finances but the WILDLY different presentations make me want to break my normal rule of "one headphone for each use case."

Mar 4, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #45,845 of 66,261
I kept bopping between the Beyer and the Hemp and jeez it really is hard. Keeping both is a stretch because of finances but the WILDLY different presentations make me want to break my normal rule of "one headphone for each use case."

I feel you man. Until I settled on owning TWO Grados (Long story- comfort issues with anything other than on ear headphones lol) I was like you with having one headphone per use case. Wireless, earbud, proper listening etc.. It seems like you have a few weeks to finalize this decision, i’m sure you’ll make a good one!

Mar 4, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #45,847 of 66,261
I hope that answers your question. In a way, you are correct in that the Statement models aren't pure upgrades. But they work for some people. As okrelayer stated earlier that the models are like different recipes. And he got the GH3 (which nobody else in this thread seems to have) over the GH4 because he was looking for his specific preference instead of a "better" model.

I always appreciate your detailed and thoughtful replies in this thread. Sometimes I feel like I’m on my own little GH3 island. But for my preferences (comfort, and loving Norwegian pine) the GH3 seemed like the best option over the 60/80/125 with some of the refinement you seem to get with the 325/RS2e. I’m loving my time listening to them on this little island lol

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #45,848 of 66,261
I feel you man. Until I settled on owning TWO Grados (Long story- comfort issues with anything other than on ear headphones lol) I was like you with having one headphone per use case. Wireless, earbud, proper listening etc.. It seems like you have a few weeks to finalize this decision, i’m sure you’ll make a good one!

Yep, I got until the 26th before the Beyers are out of the return window so I can really chill out. The big thing is gonna be just seeing if I keep instinctively reaching for one over the other. One thing the Grado does lack is that "all encompassing" feeling, but I'm pretty sure it's just because of the on-ear design, the little pads giving the psychological feel of smallness. Coming from a rather massive set, there's a lot to sort of re-calibrate my brain with.

That said, I really cannot speak highly enough of these damn things. They're just "alive" in a way so few headphones I've heard are. I'm willing to bet with a good tube amp these would absolutely glow.

Edit: just for funsies, here's something I've been listening to with the Hemp. It is... an absolute journey with these.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #45,849 of 66,261
I’m not sure if this has been covered but did we ever get an answer regarding the white stitching vs black stitching on the Hemp?

Did Grado just run out of one thread halfway through production and decide that the other one would look cool? Is there any difference between these two versions besides the stitching color?
While I have not seen a difinitive answer as to WHY, I do know that it is the newer Hemps that have the white stitching while the older ones have black.

@elira the vegan headband is the crappy vinyl one on the plastic cup models. They used that on the Hemps in the UK. @Bernard23 had this headband I believe.

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:15 AM Post #45,850 of 66,261
I really need to keep the DT-1770 Pro because I need them closed for when I use them at the office or when there is too much noise at home. The Grados are only for home-use and when it is quiet. The good thing is that they are similar enough so the switch is not night and day but different enough so presentation of the music engages. With other headphones one could sound boring or flat in comparison and it would not get any use. But the DT-1770 and my Grados can easily live peacefully together with each other and the ER4XR.

Mar 5, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #45,851 of 66,261
I really need to keep the DT-1770 Pro because I need them closed for when I use them at the office or when there is too much noise at home. The Grados are only for home-use and when it is quiet. The good thing is that they are similar enough so the switch is not night and day but different enough so presentation of the music engages. With other headphones one could sound boring or flat in comparison and it would not get any use. But the DT-1770 and my Grados can easily live peacefully together with each other and the ER4XR.
They're so complementary it really does feel like they almost need to be brothers. One on-ear open-back with a highly energetic mid-focused sound, one bigass over-ear closed-back that's more V-shaped with analytical treble.

Mar 5, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #45,852 of 66,261
They're so complementary it really does feel like they almost need to be brothers. One on-ear open-back with a highly energetic mid-focused sound, one bigass over-ear closed-back that's more V-shaped with analytical treble.
I don't know the DT1770, but I find that much the same is true of DT177x and my Grados. All 32 ohm as well.

Mar 5, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #45,853 of 66,261
I don't know the DT1770, but I find that much the same is true of DT177x and my Grados. All 32 ohm as well.
LOL aw man you're killing me. I have the 177x myself. I'm gonna end up keeping both, ain't I.

Mar 5, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #45,855 of 66,261
I'm in Dubai on vacation and didn't bring my Hemps with me. I'll be stuck here for a few months as Canada has super expensive travel restrictions if I come back soon. I'm in so much pain

Users who are viewing this thread

Back