Grado Fan Club!
Mar 3, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #45,751 of 65,581
I agree with him about the cables and the pads (don't like them...I know some people do).

The only problem I have with the cable is that they are "pre-kinked" from the factory, due to the method of packaging. Considering the price, this really is pretty poor performance.

The cable is fine until it is boxed... the older style boxes were superior in this regard as they allowed the cable to be coiled for packing.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #45,752 of 65,581
The only problem I have with the cable is that they are "pre-kinked" from the factory, due to the method of packaging. Considering the price, this really is pretty poor performance.

The cable is fine until it is boxed... the older style boxes were superior in this regard as they allowed the cable to be coiled for packing.

That happens with a bunch of cables. They're fine on their own but get mucked up in packing. Definitely annoying as hell but as long as they "relax" over time, all's well.

Mar 3, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #45,753 of 65,581
Rs2e with fiio m7 using the senn adapter with a couple of amp bands works OK

Attachments

• 20210303_225534.jpg
    20210303_225534.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Mar 3, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #45,755 of 65,581
Mar 3, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #45,757 of 65,581
The only problem I have with the cable is that they are "pre-kinked" from the factory, due to the method of packaging.

The expensive ones aren't, but that's because 1) they're in larger boxes; 2) the 12-conductor cable on the expensive models is so thick that it can't be kinked easily.

Mar 3, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #45,758 of 65,581
Grado still insisting on using those bigass cables that can't even detach is one of the most irksome things, but I guess that's part and parcel of dealing with an artisanal company.

Mar 3, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #45,760 of 65,581
I like their cables, they are very nice.
Well that's wonderful but the thing is everyone is stuck with them rather than having the option.

I will never, in as long as I live, understand why "I would like the option to use something else" causes people to immediately go "well I like it just the way it is!" Cool. You could keep using them, while other people could put on a different one.

Mar 3, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #45,761 of 65,581

I also think that weight is a problem. I can live with Grado cables...but I'm always wishing I could change them to something more flexible.

One positive thing about Grado cables is that they will last forever. The cables of two of my Beyerdynamics (T5p and DT1350) disintegrated on me. I had to send the T5p for a recabling job and I "replaced" the DT1350 cable myself.

Mar 3, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #45,762 of 65,581
Grado still insisting on using those bigass cables that can't even detach is one of the most irksome things, but I guess that's part and parcel of dealing with an artisanal company.
I don't mind the big cables they tangle less easily

Mar 3, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #45,763 of 65,581
The expensive ones aren't, but that's because 1) they're in larger boxes; 2) the 12-conductor cable on the expensive models is so thick that it can't be kinked easily.

True, but many of the models in the smaller boxes aren't exactly cheap.

Again, i'm a fan of their cables but not a fan of their updated small box, only because it forces the cable to be kinked. It makes for a less impressive first impression/presentation of an otherwise excellent product.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 1:21 AM Post #45,764 of 65,581
I put one on my ears and listen to it for a while. Then change to the other one and try to compare the sound with the first one. If necessary go back and forth some times.
Little Prankster? :upside_down::thinking:

And again, i would never compare an open and a closed back headphone. Why? Cause i know before that it is an absolute different soundstage/ signature. Not compareable in my opinion in this deep. I would rather compare changed cushions, driver, wood or metal cups.

But at the end it is absolutly up to you what you are doing with your headphones...:v:

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #45,765 of 65,581
Little Prankster? :upside_down::thinking:

And again, i would never compare an open and a closed back headphone. Why? Cause i know before that it is an absolute different soundstage/ signature. Not compareable in my opinion in this deep. I would rather compare changed cushions, driver, wood or metal cups.

But at the end it is absolutly up to you what you are doing with your headphones...:v:
Except the HD820 which is the only closed back I've heard that sounds more open than most open backs 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back