Grado Fan Club!
Mar 4, 2021 at 2:31 AM Post #45,766 of 65,695
Except the HD820 which is the only closed back I've heard that sounds more open than most open backs šŸ˜‰
Ok!? For me, i started with closed backs like the MDR 7506 and the DT770, later on the DT1770. I donĀ“t liked the DT880 (sound) and the DT990 (sound , stock cushions). I also tested several brands like Fostex (other driver), AT, Meze, Sennheiser aso...
-> short: to have an overwiew in general and could pre-select between the different types of dynamic driver housings.

My very first pair of open backs was the SR80e. After experimenting with different cushions the sound was significant different for me (!), especially with the bowl cushions, beautifulaudio & shipibo cushions, yaxi pads and other third party brands.
I only mean the soft mods within the open back SR80e.

Shortly i received my beautiful wooden cups with R1 driver from an amazing cup builder here. I also tested the Turbulent X Driver and have a pair of V9 here for a friends build, Nhoord Driver is ordered for another friends build. So, i couldnĀ“t say anything about the last named. But these ones before i was able to test, sound absolutly different in comparison, but all of them where built-in an open back cup (different wood).

I couldnĀ“t hear any difference between the SR60e up to SR125e f.e..

I got a Graham Slee Amp here since nearly a week ( god damn the brexit, was waiting months for it. :wink: ). The difference is huge, what an amazing amp. i got goose bumps and tears in my eyes while hearing my test playlists on qobuz and tidal (for MQA), different DACĀ“s (FPGA, Wolfson, ESS, Cirrus). IĀ“ve never heard a delicious sound like this. So, actually i couldnĀ“t imagine to use any other headphones.

Maybe i understand wrong or you could call me a dumb newbie, but i wouldnĀ“t compare the prenamed closed backs deeply in sound characteristic with open back, cause i know before that the sound is absolutly different. I canĀ“t confirm that iĀ“ve ever heard a closed back, which sounds more open than an open back itself.

Which ones do you quote for this comparison?

We are here to share experiences and talk about a hobby. So, there is no toxic in my posts, only to clear. :v:

*sorry for my english

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #45,767 of 65,695
Little Prankster? :upside_down::thinking:

And again, i would never compare an open and a closed back headphone. Why? Cause i know before that it is an absolute different soundstage/ signature. Not compareable in my opinion in this deep. I would rather compare changed cushions, driver, wood or metal cups.

But at the end it is absolutly up to you what you are doing with your headphones...:v:
Haha. Sorry for my bad sense of humor.

It is certain that open and closed are different in many ways. But I do think it is OK to compare IEM's, earbuds, open headphones or closed, on-ear, over-ear etc. when talking about the signature or frequency respone. There are other characteristics where things cannot be directly compared, that is for sure. I guess what I wanted to say is that when having several headphones, and changing back and forth from day to day, I think it is easier to adjust to the differences when the headphones are not too different. So, if I am using my SR225e at home and bringing my ER4XR with me on the road, they are sort of within the same ballpark. Also DT-1770 Pro are not a totally different sounding headphone as well. For the headphones I own, the Hemps are definitely the ones where I have to spend some time before my ears have adjusted to the lack of treble.

Mar 4, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #45,768 of 65,695
I couldnĀ“t hear any difference between the SR125e and 225e.

Really? I feel the 225e sounds distinctly different just because of the pads. It also has a different cup grill which matters a little bit. (On my GS3000e, I hear a slight difference if I put my palm near, but not touching the cup.) The one people have difficulty with is SR60e/80e/125e as here, they all seem identical except for the driver tuning.

Mar 4, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #45,769 of 65,695
Really? I feel the 225e sounds distinctly different just because of the pads. It also has a different cup grill which matters a little bit. (On my GS3000e, I hear a slight difference if I put my palm near, but not touching the cup.) The one people have difficulty with is SR60e/80e/125e as here, they all seem identical except for the driver tuning.
Hey,

mistake devil on the road. I meant no difference for me from SR60e up to SR125e. Will change it. Thank you. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #45,770 of 65,695
i wouldnĀ“t compare the prenamed closed backs deeply in sound characteristic with open back, cause i know before that the sound is absolutly different
It depends on what kind of comparison you're making. For general "I'm trying to find a great headphone" comparisons you can absolutely put anything against anything. If I have $500 to spend and I'm considering a handful of headphones, it's perfectly fair to compare them all even if they're wildly different.

That said, comparisons are usually made between similar products because of the unstated assumption that what we're looking for is whatever sonic characteristic that product has.

Me, for example? I was looking for a "fun" headphone with a handful of traits and it came down to the DT177x and the Grado Hemp. I have the DT here and the Grado will be delivered today. I can only keep one. I am absolutely comparing them, regardless of how wildly different they may be, because my decision is between them and one is getting sent back.

I understand saying that some comparisons are unfair simply because they're judging one by the ideals of the other (like docking an open-back headphone because the sound leaks, or an IEM for not having enough soundstage compared to the open-back), but I think as long as you're cognizant of what exactly is being compared and why, you can put anything against anything.

Mar 4, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #45,771 of 65,695
Ok!? For me, i started with closed backs like the MDR 7506 and the DT770, later on the DT1770. I donĀ“t liked the DT880 (sound) and the DT990 (sound , stock cushions). I also tested several brands like Fostex (other driver), AT, Meze, Sennheiser aso...
-> short: to have an overwiew in general and could pre-select between the different types of dynamic driver housings.

Maybe i understand wrong or you could call me a dumb newbie, but i wouldnĀ“t compare the prenamed closed backs deeply in sound characteristic with open back, cause i know before that the sound is absolutly different. I canĀ“t confirm that iĀ“ve ever heard a closed back, which sounds more open than an open back itself.

Which ones do you quote for this comparison?
The only closed back I've ever heard that sounds like a (very open) open back is the HD820. The rest of the closed backs I've heard all sound very different (not in a good way usually). What they accomplished with the HD820 is pretty exceptional. I was just noting that the HD820 is the exception to the rule when it comes to closed back sounding way different than open backs.

Mar 4, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #45,772 of 65,695
Grado sr325i with fiio A3 amp , and still using the senn adapter.

Attachments

• 20210304_132441.jpg
    20210304_132441.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Mar 4, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #45,773 of 65,695
You don't have to spend a fortune for a grado case. Fits all my SR h/phones. Ā£6.99 ebay UK.

Attachments

• 20210304_132542.jpg
    20210304_132542.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210304_132526.jpg
    20210304_132526.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Mar 4, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #45,775 of 65,695
The only closed back I've ever heard that sounds like a (very open) open back is the HD820. The rest of the closed backs I've heard all sound very different (not in a good way usually). What they accomplished with the HD820 is pretty exceptional. I was just noting that the HD820 is the exception to the rule when it comes to closed back sounding way different than open backs.
I think the folly here is wanting open and closed backs to sound the same. Depending on what you're looking for, there are a lot of times when the closed-back sound is what you want. You can't want a closed set to sound open any more than you can want an open set to isolate outside sounds and then mark it down for failing to do that.

Mar 4, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #45,776 of 65,695
287_1545510413.jpg
Hi! are these gold? or is it the light? they are for sale. what is so special with the gold editon?
Worth 150$?

edit: offered seller 120 USD

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #45,777 of 65,695
Shortly i received my beautiful wooden cups with R1 driver from an amazing cup builder here. I also tested the Turbulent X Driver and have a pair of V9 here for a friends build, Nhoord Driver is ordered for another friends build. So, i couldnĀ“t say anything about the last named. But these ones before i was able to test, sound absolutly different in comparison, but all of them where built-in an open back cup (different wood).

How does the Turbulent compare with a Grado driver? Which one do you prefer?

Mar 4, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #45,779 of 65,695
287_1545510413.jpgHi! are these gold? or is it the light? they are for sale. what is so special with the gold editon?
Worth 150$?

edit: offered seller 120 USD
If you can get those for $150 do it. I find they are that old-timey classic Grado sound, lighter on bass but magnificent treble details. Even if you find you didnt like them you could flip them and get your $$ back easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back