Grado Fan Club!
Mar 2, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #45,723 of 65,688
For $200 (at least)? Not exactly the same thing as a Grado with detachable cables.

Moon Audio is not cheap, but they are one of the few I would trust to make this mod with a brand new unit.
The thing is at $200 + cost of moon audio cables it's approaching the cost of a whole new copy of the hemp since it's only $420. At that rate could just have a dedicated 3.5mm,1/4" and dedicated xlr pair if you are going to switch frequently enough to justify removable cables.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #45,725 of 65,688
Spoiler: the beyer's gonna lose

Hemp + hd800s = ultimate combo
Ah but keep in mind I really don't like the HD800. The Hemp caught my attention because I like warmer headphones and the 177x has a beefy low end. So it's a possibility for either to win this battle and I think it's gonna come down to the Beyer's impact vs the Grado's energy and I am mega excited to see who wins.

(spoiler: I kinda want the Grado to win just because oh my god look at those things)

Mar 2, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #45,726 of 65,688
So guys, as you know I bought the GH3 second hand. It's in amazing shape, but I must say the gimble attached to the ear cups "sticks" a bit. Where as with the hemp, and my SR80 it's just fluid adjusting on the ear cups. I wonder wondering what options do I have? Get it replaced by Grado? Spray it with something? Deal with it?

Mar 2, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #45,727 of 65,688
Ah but keep in mind I really don't like the HD800. The Hemp caught my attention because I like warmer headphones and the 177x has a beefy low end. So it's a possibility for either to win this battle and I think it's gonna come down to the Beyer's impact vs the Grado's energy and I am mega excited to see who wins.

(spoiler: I kinda want the Grado to win just because oh my god look at those things)
Thats why the hemp and hd800s are ultimate combo, they are super different. Hemp gives you the raw and dirty power, hd800s gives you the precise technical finesse. Use the one that works best for specific content.

Mar 2, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #45,728 of 65,688

Keep in mind you might have to adjust the headband when you first get them. People (myself included) felt it was somewhat unbearable out of the box.

Mar 2, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #45,729 of 65,688
Keep in mind you might have to adjust the headband when you first get them. People (myself included) felt it was somewhat unbearable out of the box.
I ain't too concerned there. I've dealt with Audeze and Kennerton, these can't be any worse.

Mar 2, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #45,730 of 65,688
So guys, as you know I bought the GH3 second hand. It's in amazing shape, but I must say the gimble attached to the ear cups "sticks" a bit. Where as with the hemp, and my SR80 it's just fluid adjusting on the ear cups. I wonder wondering what options do I have? Get it replaced by Grado? Spray it with something? Deal with it?
WD40?

Mar 2, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #45,731 of 65,688
I've called Grado a couple times asking when they would have replacement pads for the Hemp (stock). I've not checked in a while. Do any of you have any insights regarding availability?
Todd the Vinyl Junkie sells flat pads that are by all accounts exactly the same as Grado's.

Mar 2, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #45,732 of 65,688
Todd the Vinyl Junkie sells flat pads that are by all accounts exactly the same as Grado's.
Thanks! I haven't checked out his web-site since I order my Grado Head-F1 headphones.

Mar 2, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #45,733 of 65,688
Thanks! I haven't checked out his web-site since I order my Grado Head-F1 headphones.
Ordered the deluxe edition. A few $$ more. I'll let you know if there are any sonic differences. Based on the recent comments I changed the stock pad with the G pads. Definitely a good sound to my ears. Listening to the Dead, tube amp, and the Hemp......

Mar 2, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #45,734 of 65,688
Ordered the deluxe edition. A few $$ more. I'll let you know if there are any sonic differences. Based on the recent comments I changed the stock pad with the G pads. Definitely a good sound to my ears. Listening to the Dead, tube amp, and the Hemp......
I only ever use my Hemps for listening to the Dead. ✌

(I have a lot of other headphones)
(I listen to the Dead a lot)

Mar 2, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #45,735 of 65,688
I only ever use my Hemps for listening to the Dead. ✌

(I have a lot of other headphones)
(I listen to the Dead a lot)
they were reeling and rockin', what a crazy sound. They never stopped rocking till the moon went down. Last song before encore. Peace

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back