Grado Fan Club!
Jan 26, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #45,091 of 65,587
This probably has been covered at some point but may be not recently - what does everyone use for amplification? Also, I’d be curious what type of source people generally use - digital or analog? Not so much interested in type of DAC or turntable/tape deck but just curious if people are using more of one than another with grados. I ask bc I wonder if that also has bearing on recommendations for specific models and how they pair with certain amps and/or sources.
My sequence is in my signature but I use a liquid platinum fed by turntable (almost exclusively). Love this combo with the RS2e and interested if anyone has had similar “synergy” with either the LP (or other hybrid amps) and analog with their grados.

Jan 26, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #45,092 of 65,587
I noticed very, very little difference between those and the stock flats. As long as you have the larger opening facing your ear so that none of the driver is covered. The thickness is practically the same as stock, so the driver is about the same distance away from your ear. It's so close to your ear, that I'm not really sure what the difference in material is going to do here besides handle some very slight reflections? Until someone shows me graphs that it's different, the difference is so miniscule that I can't say it's better or worse.

IMO, the clamp has a greater effect here than these two pads. A looser clamp will not have the driver pressed against your ear as much and tames the bass some. So if someone with a tight clamp compares these two pads, then maybe there'd be a bigger difference. The stock flats are stiffer and will hold their distance better. I keep such a loose clamp that I can't tell them apart.

I'm also in my upper 30s, so if there's a slight difference in treble I probably can't hear it anyways! ; )
The Geekria pads are quite a bit deeper than F pads around the outer section, they are graduated like L pads, but far less draught. The lift the driver further away from my ears than either L or F. Both sets are fairly low clamping force in my head, so little compression, although I can't measure this. They definitely sound different to F pads, myself and my wife did several blind tests with both phones, and got it correct every time.

Jan 26, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #45,093 of 65,587
Steve Guttenberg brought it up in his videos a couple of times but- Grados get you moving. Just getting into Grados over the past few weeks, it’s impossible to sit still when you listen on their headphones. I’ve always been an active listener, I’m always moving my hands around and bobbing my head. Grados enhance that element so much so! Feels like I’m at a Vampire Weekend concert tonight on my RS2e

Jan 26, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #45,094 of 65,587
The Geekria pads are quite a bit deeper than F pads around the outer section, they are graduated like L pads, but far less draught.

Wonder if they're the same pads then, because my Geekria "flats" are certainly not deeper than the TTVJ stocks, at least not by much at all.

Jan 26, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #45,096 of 65,587
I have the GH2, and yes they are pretty! I also just bought an RS2e from a fellow Head-Fi'er that will arrive shortly. I plan to compare the two, and stick with whichever fits my tastes.

Good luck with that. That was my plan...and I ended up keeping both.

I don't need and can't afford to have two $400+ headphones that sound similar.

Same here...and now I own 5 Grados.

I hope you are a stronger man than I am. :worried:

Jan 26, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #45,097 of 65,587
The Geekria pads are quite a bit deeper than F pads around the outer section, they are graduated like L pads, but far less draught. The lift the driver further away from my ears than either L or F. Both sets are fairly low clamping force in my head, so little compression, although I can't measure this. They definitely sound different to F pads, myself and my wife did several blind tests with both phones, and got it correct every time.

Could post a picture of the pads your talking about or maybe a link to the page? Geekria makes a few Grado pads and doesn't really name or label them in any useful way.

Jan 26, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #45,098 of 65,587
The "LL" pads are these. They don't have an official equivalent.

Bernard23's opinions of the LL pad closely mirror those to mine in my Hemp review, and I chose them as my favorite non-L style pad that I tested. They're probably a great fit on the SR325e because they have more treble to begin with.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #45,099 of 65,587

Bernard23's opinions of the LL pad closely mirror those to mine in my Hemp review, and I chose them as my favorite non-L style pad that I tested. They're probably a great fit on the SR325e because they have more treble to begin with.

I got these same pads from a brand call misodiko. Overall they are nice. More comfortable than the more standard L style and sound similar, but I personally found a pad I like more than any other aftermarket Grado pad I've tried.
https://www.amazon.com/EARZONK-Replacement-Headphone-Cushions-Compatible/dp/B07Z5CCYP6
These are really good imo. They sound about the same as others here have described the geekria LL but I find them to be clearer and maybe a touch wider. I still stick with the F-cush on the Hemps, but I love these in my SR80e.

Jan 27, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #45,100 of 65,587
This probably has been covered at some point but may be not recently - what does everyone use for amplification? Also, I’d be curious what type of source people generally use - digital or analog? Not so much interested in type of DAC or turntable/tape deck but just curious if people are using more of one than another with grados. I ask bc I wonder if that also has bearing on recommendations for specific models and how they pair with certain amps and/or sources.
My sequence is in my signature but I use a liquid platinum fed by turntable (almost exclusively). Love this combo with the RS2e and interested if anyone has had similar “synergy” with either the LP (or other hybrid amps) and analog with their grados.

I have a Schiit stack I use with my Hemps at my PC. Works well for all the headphones I own.

Jan 27, 2021 at 2:56 AM Post #45,101 of 65,587

Nice I found these in Malaysia and they are way cheaper and shipped from China which is much closer. Interested to try with RS2e.

Jan 27, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #45,102 of 65,587
Wonder if they're the same pads then, because my Geekria "flats" are certainly not deeper than the TTVJ stocks, at least not by much at all.
I could try to measure them, but it's the thickness of pad between the driver and the front face of the pad that's thicker, even though overall they look similar. The position of the groove that sits on the cup flange is in a different relative position. However I suspect the bigger variable is the shape of my ears! That philosophical chestnut of everyone truly seeing the same colour or an interpretation.

Jan 27, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #45,103 of 65,587

Using the Lyr 3 for my Grados which works really well. The Lyr 3 is really smooth and detailed with great bass.

Jan 27, 2021 at 4:10 AM Post #45,104 of 65,587
Same here...and now I own 5 Grados.

I’m joining the 5 Grado club :) found a brand new GH2 for sale and well, you know, it had to be bought lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back