Grado Fan Club!
Jan 25, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #45,076 of 65,584
I do know them. I love their work and I own all their albums.

Edgar Knecht
Emil Brandqvist Trio
Foehn Trio
Lorenzo Naccarato
Myriad3
Neil Cowley Trio
Portico Quartet
Remi Panossian Trio
Shalosh
Sumrra

Have you heard of them? These are some of my favorite modern jazz groups that don't sound like the jazz your grandpa used to listen to.

Matthew Halsall is great. I'll check out The Gondwana Orchestra.

You could say I am a bit of a fan of GoGo Penguin!
rq4xcr246z361.jpg

I've heard a few of the others, but I'll see if they're on Bandcamp. I've got Mammal Hands' vinyls and GoGo Penguin's FLAC albums all downloaded. Prefer for the smaller artists to get a bigger chunk of the money!

Jan 25, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #45,077 of 65,584
Don't forget E. S. T.

(edit And lots more nu-jazz on the ACT label)
E S T a great jazz group. Got a few Cds and saw them live a few years ago.
But when you say nu - jazz ......would have thought you would mean. New Jazz.
Nu - Jazz to me means mainly bossa type jazz from places like Italy. The Schema lable. Artists like , Mario Biondi, Nicola conte, Gerado frisina, Papik,

Jan 25, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #45,078 of 65,584
Nu - Jazz to me means mainly bossa type jazz from places like Italy. The Schema lable. Artists like , Mario Biondi, Nicola conte, Gerado frisina, Papik,
Both, new and nu😉

.. but you're correct. I should have used the word 'new' in this instance. Sorry!

Jan 25, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #45,080 of 65,584
Wow, didn't realize they were that big. It's an impressive feat to sound close to stock with such a different earpad, it sounds too good to be true! I'm itching to buy a pair. Thanks for all your views on these and the pictures! Looking forward to the comparisons with the other pads you have on the way

I am surprised about the sound too TBH. However IDK how I feel about the loose fabric and foam floating (The might be able to cover the driver issue that I previously mentioned for edge cases) on the cups.

However its not like I’m having issues, or anything, it’s only the first batch, and so far they are the best pads ive used, just weird and has inconsistencies due to being made by hand.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #45,082 of 65,584
You could say I am a bit of a fan of GoGo Penguin!

I'm also a big fan. I saw them live in Paris a couple of years back.

While at the concert I closed my eyes and thought, "what headphone sounds the most like being here?". Grado and the Beyerdynamic DT1350, I remember thinking.

Jan 25, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #45,083 of 65,584
My GH2 will be here Thursday, coming with L. Guess I'll have to try G, which I loves on GH1.

ATM, Zappa, Imaginary Diseases, Been to Kansas City in A Minor. Nom nom nom. :D

They sound great with both L and G pads.

With the G pads you lose some bass (I'm not a basshead, so meh), but the soundstage opens up immensely. The G pads on RS2e accentuate the highs too much, so I prefer the L pads on that model.

Jan 25, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #45,084 of 65,584
Both, new and nu😉

.. but you're correct. I should have used the word 'new' in this instance. Sorry!

I just call it modern jazz. Many of the musicians from the list I posted are in their 20s.

Jan 25, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #45,085 of 65,584
Really love the look of the GH2, which other Grado would it be closest to? I have GW100, Hemp, 325i and RS2e already.

Jan 26, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #45,087 of 65,584
I do know them. I love their work and I own all their albums.

Edgar Knecht
Emil Brandqvist Trio
Foehn Trio
Lorenzo Naccarato
Myriad3
Neil Cowley Trio
Portico Quartet
Remi Panossian Trio
Shalosh
Sumrra

Have you heard of them? These are some of my favorite modern jazz groups that don't sound like the jazz your grandpa used to listen to.

Matthew Halsall is great. I'll check out The Gondwana Orchestra.
Depends how old your grandparents are.

Jan 26, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #45,088 of 65,584
Really love the look of the GH2, which other Grado would it be closest to? I have GW100, Hemp, 325i and RS2e already.
I have the GH2, and yes they are pretty! I also just bought an RS2e from a fellow Head-Fi'er that will arrive shortly. I plan to compare the two, and stick with whichever fits my tastes. I don't need and can't afford to have two $400+ headphones that sound similar.

I had the 325e for about 2 months before I found the GH2, and I compared them before I sold the 325e. The GH2 is a notch above in overall sound quality, but it is also smoother than the 325e -- not as smooth as a Sennheiser ( cough, boring, cough!), but it tames down the upper treble energy of the 325e a bit. I wouldn't call the GH2 dark, but it is warmer than the 325e, and just a step better in almost every way over the 325e.

BTW, my knock-off G-size pads stay on my GH2, giving it a much wider sound. I will be comparing the GH2 vs RS2e with the G pads for the most part. I will post my thoughts next week some time.

Jan 26, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #45,089 of 65,584
I tried the Geekria "LL" pads as Gippy described them, or flat pads as someone else did, on the 325e and what a revelation on my LG phone last night. Smoother treble, greater space, more detail maybe (I can hear more of the background pub chat in Paranoid Eyes). I bought some before Xmas when I got the hemps, but didn't really give them a chance, so I threw them onto the Hemps today, and I'm loving the effect. The treble has opened up like a Grado should, with the same greater sense of space and soundstage (I find the F pads pus the sound right in your face so to speak), but the bass hasn't really lost any impact. I need to leave them on now for an extended period to see if they fit like a pair of comfy shoes.

Jan 26, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #45,090 of 65,584
I tried the Geekria "LL" pads as Gippy described them, or flat pads as someone else did, on the 325e and what a revelation on my LG phone last night. Smoother treble, greater space, more detail maybe (I can hear more of the background pub chat in Paranoid Eyes). I bought some before Xmas when I got the hemps, but didn't really give them a chance, so I threw them onto the Hemps today, and I'm loving the effect. The treble has opened up like a Grado should, with the same greater sense of space and soundstage (I find the F pads pus the sound right in your face so to speak), but the bass hasn't really lost any impact. I need to leave them on now for an extended period to see if they fit like a pair of comfy shoes.
I noticed very, very little difference between those and the stock flats. As long as you have the larger opening facing your ear so that none of the driver is covered. The thickness is practically the same as stock, so the driver is about the same distance away from your ear. It's so close to your ear, that I'm not really sure what the difference in material is going to do here besides handle some very slight reflections? Until someone shows me graphs that it's different, the difference is so miniscule that I can't say it's better or worse.

IMO, the clamp has a greater effect here than these two pads. A looser clamp will not have the driver pressed against your ear as much and tames the bass some. So if someone with a tight clamp compares these two pads, then maybe there'd be a bigger difference. The stock flats are stiffer and will hold their distance better. I keep such a loose clamp that I can't tell them apart.

I'm also in my upper 30s, so if there's a slight difference in treble I probably can't hear it anyways! ; )

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back