Grado Fan Club!
Jan 17, 2021 at 11:49 PM Post #44,926 of 65,581
You can get a new headband, and if something else breaks you can have them repaired by Grado for a reasonable fee. The cups on my GS2000e got destroyed, along with the gimbals and headband, they fixed them completely for $250 if I recall properly.

I have to ask... how did the cups, gimbals and headband get destroyed? I love a good horror story... :)

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #44,928 of 65,581
Am I getting tired of grados treble? I just joined the family last Monday with the sr80e and hour Long listening sessions the brightness/treble wasn't fatiguing. i purchased the hemp and it was too dark sounding. I spent the past two days listening for many hours with the sr80 at moderate volumes and my head feels drained. I have the RS2e coming on Wednesday I hope that It has a little less brightness because that would be the perfect headphone for me. I just hope im Able to continue listening to grado because I’m blown away each time I listen! But I don’t wanna feel out of it at the expense of sound quality lol
My initial impression of the hemp was similar, and had to add EQ when playing local files, but i can't do that with Tidal etc, but after time I have got used to the tonal balance, they're good enough to overcome a slightly recessed (for Grado) treble.

Jan 18, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #44,929 of 65,581
I'm enjoying my GW100, especially having replaced the ear pads with the G-cush.

One problem I have is that when wired, the left and right channels are reversed. Is this a known issue or by design? Over Bluetooth everything's fine (with the left channel being the one with the controls), but having tried several wired sources, it does appear that L & R are reversed.

Jan 18, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #44,931 of 65,581
Well...look at my avatar. And then I tell you the RS2e is an absolut delight with Prince’s music. I listened yesterday to the whole “lovesymbol” album (from 1992). Maybe Gold is brighter, but still. It’s a heavily mixed album with lot’s of layers and it was fantastic.

But I must also note: I use an R2R Dac with a hybrid (tube/FET output stage) and a tube headamp (Tor Audio balanced) cabled with a full shunyata venom loom. They all contribute to the effect, that while the sound is open and engaging, it is never too hot or fatiguing. But in this system I do prefer the RS2e to the Hemp.

Thanks for reminding me of this album! I remember very well when it came out, one of my favorites from him...

Ok good, I’m excited! I have found some of the treble energy on the sr80 to be fatiging depending on the albums i play, but i felt the hemp was too mellow. Hopefully the RS2 is perfect

Let us know what you think! - I also went from the 80e to the RS2e. I'm eventually going to try a tube amp, or some way to round out the sound of my RS2e's...

Jan 18, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #44,932 of 65,581
Thanks for reminding me of this album! I remember very well when it came out, one of my favorites from him...

Let us know what you think! - I also went from the 80e to the RS2e. I'm eventually going to try a tube amp, or some way to round out the sound of my RS2e's...
Is the rs2e less fatiguing to you than the 80e?? That’s my only hope!

edit: I’m gonna play prince first on them when they arrive in honor of you lol

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #44,933 of 65,581
I'm enjoying my GW100, especially having replaced the ear pads with the G-cush.

One problem I have is that when wired, the left and right channels are reversed. Is this a known issue or by design? Over Bluetooth everything's fine (with the left channel being the one with the controls), but having tried several wired sources, it does appear that L & R are reversed.
@Pat the dog Maybe its the 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable you are using which is faulty with the wiring reversed. I once came across this with a cheap cable. You might try another cable or the same with another headphone to be sure (just by swapping source you will not be able to ascertain that)

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #44,934 of 65,581
I don’t think anyone got it already. Mine is also underway...

Have yours finally arrived and do you have any thoughts or updates?

My Shipibo earpads should arrive today/tomorrow along with some gimbals so I am looking forward to that!

(edit: fixed reply, and grammatical errors)

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #44,935 of 65,581
Have yours finally arrived and do you have any thoughts or updates?

My Shipibo earpads should arrive today/tomorrow along with some gimbals so I am looking forward to that!

(edit: fixed reply, and grammatical errors)

Still not here. They are not even in my country. At first I thought the 2-3 weeks shipping time is misinformation but it seems that is the way.

Jan 19, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #44,936 of 65,581
Still not here. They are not even in my country. At first I thought the 2-3 weeks shipping time is misinformation but it seems that is the way.

Oh, I would have thought that was misinformation too, especially considering how much closer you are to his country than I am. I would have chosen that option as well since the other shipping option is almost half the price of your entire order (if you only got the earpads), just a bummer it is taking that long to get to you.

Jan 19, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #44,937 of 65,581
Oh, I would have thought that was misinformation too, especially considering how much closer you are to his country than I am. I would have chosen that option as well since the other shipping option is almost half the price of your entire order (if you only got the earpads), just a bummer it is taking that long to get to you.

Well...that’s the tracking history. It didn’t even left Poland if I interpret it right...but that’s nothing new. My Tor audio amp was 4 weeks(!) in the post. Covid...it will be here next week I think.

Please post your impressions! :)

8A5CD9AC-17F5-45D0-B582-7EB94E5B72AD.jpeg

Jan 19, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #44,938 of 65,581
Well...that’s the tracking history. It didn’t even left Poland if I interpret it right...but that’s nothing new. My Tor audio amp was 4 weeks(!) in the post. Covid...it will be here next week I think.

Please post your impressions! :)

That’s some crazy stuff, and some long wait times.

Also damnit, I called it, FedEx is delivering it tomorrow and had an exception, and I will be sure to do that once I get them!

9BEAFCD6-D574-4D45-8035-AF7AD8F11A5B.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #44,939 of 65,581
Man alive, these new SR225e sound better than a $200 pair of headphones has a right to sound. I have run them through Tool, Down, Dethklok, Dr. Dre, The Beastie Boys, Fiona Apple, and Boston since I pulled them out of the box, and they have acquitted themselves well.

That being said, oh my goodness, these feel like the cheapest thing in my house, and I have some Empi parts (Previous owner) I pulled off my ‘68 Bug in here. They make my Powerbeats Pro feel premium. They are also not the most comfortable headphones on my ears with glasses on, so not sure they are keepers.

Jan 19, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #44,940 of 65,581
20210108_190029_HDR.jpg
20210108_190029_HDR.jpg

Used 2019 Turbulent X drivers, they're warm and laid back, reminds me of the HD600 and definitely not the turbulent X drivers I used to own that had the easily scratchable drivers. I put together a microphone stick that uses a panasonic wm61a microphone capsule that sounds way better than antlions.

Anyways I noticed that Grados do something really nice for gaming. It pulls the soundstage inwards while maintaining that second layer. All over ear headphones I've tried so far will push sound outwards and have layering, but what Grado type headphones seem to do is make it so much easier to hear sounds that are further away. Anyone know of over-ears that do this? Have good imaging but also have a small soundstage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back