Grado Fan Club!
Dec 17, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #44,371 of 65,633
I don't think I need to upgrade my system anymore (McIntosh MCD 500 and MHA150 and McIntosh C22 restored from 1967 and MC225 restored from 1964). It depends a lot on the music you hear. The GS3000e can definitely convince for classical music and jazz. For rock and blues, however, it lacks the punch and dynamics that the GH2 and, by the way, the much brighter RS2e have. It may be that this also comes from the peaks in the frequency response. I think that the distance from the driver to the ear, which is much smaller with the On Ears, also plays a role. I'm always amazed at the breathtaking dynamics that Grado On Ears have across all frequency ranges.

In 2008 I got my first Grado, the GS1000. The PS1000 and GS1000i followed later. I had never considered the on-ear Grados because I found them to be significantly more uncomfortable because of the L pads. I had almost written off Grado. Only recently and because of the helpful hints from this thread, I tried the GH2 as the first on-ear device and found that the L pads are not that uncomfortable when you get used to them. The RS2e followed a few days ago and I am absolutely thrilled with the On Ear Grados. My GS1000i, on the other hand, is gathering dust on the headphone stand. Could it be possible that Grado has the most experience with the On Ears? Wasn't Grado's first high-end headphones an on-ear?

I feel kinda the same. I wanted to have the best (on paper) Grado, hence I bought the PS2000e. Unless it had some fault it was not as dynamic, punchy as my RS2e. There was absolutely no point keeping them. I am contemplating an RS1e and/or a PS500e just to have my own experience with them. But no G pad model for me. But I do listen to a lot of electronica, funk, indie...

Dec 17, 2020 at 4:39 AM Post #44,372 of 65,633
I still think the GS3000e is the better headphone of the two but it's real finicky with source gear. I had to spend an extra $3k upgrading my gear, plus massage it with different settings to make it come out on top. Bonesy Jonesy in this thread loves his GS3000e but he's using a Chord DAVE + M Scaler which totals $20k. Besides the 6k peak, it also sounds smoother, but that may be a detriment if your music is brickwalled. The frequency peaks of lower-end Grado models may provide the illusion of greater dynamic range, which makes poor sources sound "better". It's the age-old debate of accuracy vs. musicality. If you audition the GS3000e expecting it to be leagues better than the Hemp/GH2/GH4 you're going to be disappointed. It's the extra refinement that makes the GS3000e what it is, which may ultimately be boring to those who expected greater dynamics.
Totally agree, I've only recently started using some EQ in my media player, and it's apparent that changing the tonal balance has a big impact on the perceived dynamics and detail at other parts of the unaffected frequency range. I've realised that it's ok to edit music in the way you would a photograph to bring some colour to it, to use the same analogy.

Dec 17, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #44,373 of 65,633
I feel kinda the same. I wanted to have the best (on paper) Grado, hence I bought the PS2000e. Unless it had some fault it was not as dynamic, punchy as my RS2e. There was absolutely no point keeping them. I am contemplating an RS1e and/or a PS500e just to have my own experience with them. But no G pad model for me. But I do listen to a lot of electronica, funk, indie...

The RS1e shouldn't sound that good. It should have a great spatiality, but a clear drop in bass and treble: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/grado-rs1e-matters-and-impressions.794247/page-16

I heard the PS500e in the store recently. IMO has no chance against the RS2e: In contrast, it sounds dull and not so jumpy. Dynamics and three-dimensionality are much better with the RS2e, which I think is a real price-sounding hit. He plays some headphones over 1000 USD / EUR on the wall.

Dec 17, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #44,374 of 65,633
The RS1e shouldn't sound that good. It should have a great spatiality, but a clear drop in bass and treble: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/grado-rs1e-matters-and-impressions.794247/page-16

In defence of the RS1e I think it has a unique place in the Grado line. All Grados have faults in some way and RS1e has it own faults, but none of the other models in the RS- or SR-lines, are as engaging, as intimate and involving me into the music as much as the RS1e.

I had the RS2e on loan for a while but they never really had the same effect as RS1e. Maybe it all depends on the genres I mostly listen to; jazz, classics, blues? RS1e just has a magical and effortless way to let music flow into my brain. So lifelike and real. To me they are worth the extra price compared to RS2e.

Dec 17, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #44,375 of 65,633
First I wanted to thanks for the advise not to buy an RS1e and one post further I want to buy again :D

Dec 17, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #44,376 of 65,633
First I wanted to thanks for the advise not to buy an RS1e and one post further I want to buy again :D

Conclusion: See how it suits your taste first by trying it out yourself :wink:

Dec 17, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #44,377 of 65,633
Just got my WHITE
It sounds very nice, and really comfortable to wear
1.jpg

Oh I love my GRADOs sooooo much :gs1000smile:

2.jpg

Dec 17, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #44,379 of 65,633
I ll be interested to knwo what the White sounds like compare to the GS1000...:)
Well, it should be noticed first that my GS1000i has been modulated by myself, using an unusual kind of cushion (called grain connector), and has changed the cable (sommer, the one with yellow sheath), so it would be quite different from the original gski.
However, since you asked, I'll compare with the original gski IN MY MEMORY.
WHITE has a thicker mid, vocal is closer, sounds more energetic (especially male), and this makes the sound stage smaller than gski. The bass of WHITE is a little bit less than gski, it dose not go as deep as gski, but feels more dynamic, you can feel the punch of bass. As for treble, these two are generally the same kind, full of the brightness of the GRADO feature.
In all, gski is REALLY good at playing symphony, and WHITE is really good at playing pop. As the name suggest, it memorializes the Beatles, and of course fit for Beatles--the pop music.

Dec 17, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #44,380 of 65,633
I ll be interested to knwo what the White sounds like compare to the GS1000...:)
The biggest difference that I notice is with the depth of the earcups. The GS1000 are bigger, and deeper, which makes for a more spacious airy stage. The Whites are more like the "classic" Grado style where the drivers are a lot closer to your ear. They're more immediate and visceral, like having front row seats. GS1000 are like being further back, casually taking it all in.

I love The Whites for live rock sets. GS1000 I tend to use for jazz or something softer, more intricate.

Dec 17, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #44,381 of 65,633
What is your experince with connector on Grados, it feels fragile. Something like you have them on head and you step on cable by mistake. Will survive it without changing sound like channel imbalance etc...?

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #44,382 of 65,633
I have a pair of Alessandro MS2i headphones that I have used throughout the years for many years but not heavy use and are in good condition. I am not sure what price I would put them at as I imagine that they may be due for rewiring but the sound drivers still fantastic. I recently acquired the Denon AH D5200 and it really shames all of my current headphone collection so I feel less of a desire to keep any of them around. What is a fair price for these cans in good condition? They were retail 300 but not even sure if they are even still a thing. Their website looks exactly the same as all of those years ago and shows the retail of $300 but I could not in good conscious even charge $200 for these. Appreciate any and all input that anyone can provide.

Dec 17, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #44,384 of 65,633
I have a pair of Alessandro MS2i headphones that I have used throughout the years for many years but not heavy use and are in good condition. I am not sure what price I would put them at as I imagine that they may be due for rewiring but the sound drivers still fantastic. I recently acquired the Denon AH D5200 and it really shames all of my current headphone collection so I feel less of a desire to keep any of them around. What is a fair price for these cans in good condition? They were retail 300 but not even sure if they are even still a thing. Their website looks exactly the same as all of those years ago and shows the retail of $300 but I could not in good conscious even charge $200 for these. Appreciate any and all input that anyone can provide.
I would say that if you want to move them you should ask for around $150. Why would you not charge $200 for your MS2i? Are they in bad shape? If not, you could try for get that amount, but it will take a while to sell them.

Dec 17, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #44,385 of 65,633
Headbands! Show us your custom headbands, now that I have the official confirmation that UK Hemps have a nasty looking vinyl thing, I'm going to invest in a custom version. the ones I had in mind include:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/194330...BwE&variation0=697386012&variation1=697385996
in the vintage red maybe (I have a thing about Alfa Romeo and red leather)

https://turbulentlabs.com/shop/grado-leather-headband-camel/

Other colours are unavailable, I also like the coffee one.

Then there's an Italian ebay seller:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Handmade...258461?hash=item1cf0a2639d:g:iCMAAOSwhXBfT3dM

I could of course try the hemp string wrap, but I'm a sucker for cowhide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back