Grado Fan Club!
Dec 17, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #44,386 of 65,696
I'm so torn! Staring down the barrel of a few Amazon giftcards this holiday, I was originally thinking about picking up a pair of Anandas as a counterpoint to my Clears, but the Grado-verse looks like a lot of fun.

Seems like I can save a few bucks and pick up a pair of Hemps for a pretty solid intro into what they're all about. Choices choices.

Dec 17, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #44,387 of 65,696
I'm so torn! Staring down the barrel of a few Amazon giftcards this holiday, I was originally thinking about picking up a pair of Anandas as a counterpoint to my Clears, but the Grado-verse looks like a lot of fun.

Seems like I can save a few bucks and pick up a pair of Hemps for a pretty solid intro into what they're all about. Choices choices.
Get them. They are a gentle, and impressive introduction to the club, but be warned, Grado are the hotel california of the headphone world. I'm going to get some rs2e soon, and get my ageing SR80e repaired, and maybe customise with cups, pads, gimbals etc etc.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #44,389 of 65,696

"A lot of fun" is a good way to think of it.

Dec 17, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #44,391 of 65,696
Headbands! Show us your custom headbands, now that I have the official confirmation that UK Hemps have a nasty looking vinyl thing, I'm going to invest in a custom version. the ones I had in mind include:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/194330...BwE&variation0=697386012&variation1=697385996
in the vintage red maybe (I have a thing about Alfa Romeo and red leather)

https://turbulentlabs.com/shop/grado-leather-headband-camel/

Other colours are unavailable, I also like the coffee one.

Then there's an Italian ebay seller:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Handmade...258461?hash=item1cf0a2639d:g:iCMAAOSwhXBfT3dM

I could of course try the hemp string wrap, but I'm a sucker for cowhide.

My vote goes to the Italian seller.

Dec 17, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #44,392 of 65,696
Do you recommend the gs3000e or do you think there is another more suitable model or should I stay with the gh2?
I highly recommend staying right where you are with the GH2. My only suggestion is to buy a pair of Grado G cushions and put them on your GH2 and you'll be set.

There's a chance you'll actually prefer the GH2 over it and have buyer's remorse.
I agree 100%

Dec 17, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #44,393 of 65,696
Right? I'll admit I'm also very drawn to the modding aspect. After poking around this thread, I definitely know which way I'm leaning.

Yeah, but you don't want to mod a Hemp. Pick up an SR225 for dismemberment activities.

So buy a Hemp...get hooked on the Grado sound...then buy the SR225 and mod that one. In the end you will own two Grado headphones. :sunglasses: Win, win!!

Dec 17, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #44,394 of 65,696
Yeah, but you don't want to mod a Hemp. Pick up an SR225 for dismemberment activities.

So buy a Hemp...get hooked on the Grado sound...then buy the SR225 and mod that one. In the end you will own two Grado headphones. :sunglasses: Win, win!!

Sounds like a plan! :darthsmile:

Dec 17, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #44,395 of 65,696
I highly recommend staying right where you are with the GH2. My only suggestion is to buy a pair of Grado G cushions and put them on your GH2 and you'll be set.
100% agree with you there on the GH2 + G cushions combo (although, my G cushions are 3rd party, not Geekria). Listening to Tool "Fear Inoculum" right now -- drums are huge, meaty, deep and very accurate sounding. Adam Jones' Les Paul absolutely screams on "Tempest." But to me, live small-club jazz with the G cushions is probably the best combo for that pads -- the airy-ness and space is so immersive. I would be interested in a comparison vs the RS2e, but everything I've read about the RS2e vs GH2 leads me to think I would stick with the GH2.

Dec 18, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #44,396 of 65,696
I would say that if you want to move them you should ask for around $150. Why would you not charge $200 for your MS2i? Are they in bad shape? If not, you could try for get that amount, but it will take a while to sell them.
They are pictured below. They could probably benefit from new ear cushions and maybe a recabling since they like to twist. I guess I was just viewing them in depreciating value like many things do. I do admit that it is always magical listening to any music with a guitar using these cans. Just put them on and became conflicted after hearing that grado magic. Just the twang of the guitars. The treble doesn't bother me and the forward presentation and the energy is so nice... I still think I will end up selling them.

20201218_003631.jpg

20201218_003557.jpg

Dec 18, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #44,397 of 65,696
They are pictured below. They could probably benefit from new ear cushions and maybe a recabling since they like to twist. I guess I was just viewing them in depreciating value like many things do. I do admit that it is always magical listening to any music with a guitar using these cans. Just put them on and became conflicted after hearing that grado magic. Just the twang of the guitars. The treble doesn't bother me and the forward presentation and the energy is so nice... I still think I will end up selling them.

20201218_003631.jpg

20201218_003557.jpg

They look to be in great shape. I think that $200 is not out of the question, but you will have to wait for a buyer. If you ask for $150 you should be able to sell it faster. A used SR325 goes for around that price.

I owned an MS2 for around 10 years. I went crazy and I sold it, only to regret it soon after, so I purchased an SR325e (which was too bright).

My advice to you is to keep it...or you might miss it like I did. What the heck can you buy with $150 nowadays? Certainly nothing that sounds as good as an MS2.

Dec 18, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #44,398 of 65,696
The RS1e shouldn't sound that good. It should have a great spatiality, but a clear drop in bass and treble: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/grado-rs1e-matters-and-impressions.794247/page-16

I heard the PS500e in the store recently. IMO has no chance against the RS2e: In contrast, it sounds dull and not so jumpy. Dynamics and three-dimensionality are much better with the RS2e, which I think is a real price-sounding hit. He plays some headphones over 1000 USD / EUR on the wall.
In defence of the RS1e I think it has a unique place in the Grado line. All Grados have faults in some way and RS1e has it own faults, but none of the other models in the RS- or SR-lines, are as engaging, as intimate and involving me into the music as much as the RS1e.

I had the RS2e on loan for a while but they never really had the same effect as RS1e. Maybe it all depends on the genres I mostly listen to; jazz, classics, blues? RS1e just has a magical and effortless way to let music flow into my brain. So lifelike and real. To me they are worth the extra price compared to RS2e.

I think an important point when comparing different Grado models is their status with regard to burn-in. I have never seen well burned-in Grados in a demonstration in any Grado dealer in Germany. Anyone who listens to such an not-burned-in Grado for the first time will be disappointed with the brand, because it sounds shrill, centered, bassless and without a soundstage. This also applies to the RS2e. Like all Grados, it should be burned in for at least 150 hours. Only my GH2 sounded good out-of-the-box. So if you take a Grado model home to test, you should make sure that the Grado is fully burned in. My GS3000e, which I had at home for testing, was a demo model from the German Grado sales department that I burned in for another 60 hours to be absolutely sure.

When the burn-in of my RS2e is complete, I'll compare it again exactly with my GH2 and the GS1000i.

Dec 18, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #44,399 of 65,696

Users who are viewing this thread

Back