Grado Fan Club!
Dec 15, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #44,341 of 65,693
Does anyone know how similar in depth the Geekria S pad is compared to the F pad? I really like the F pad off my Hemps on my 325e, as it tames the bright top by a couple of dB and boosts the mid bass as well. I'm now using the Hemps with F pads with EQ when listening to FLAC files, and they are really good, it's a huge sound, big impact so kick drums, toms etc really do pound you, but the midrange still retains the iron fist in a velvet glove approach. I've concluded that the Geekria L pads without EQ are close, but because the ear is further from the driver, they lose some of that impact, and start sounding a bit too polite. I'm learning to live with a recessed treble on Tidal using F pads for shorter listening periods, if only Tidal had a built in DSP.

Dec 15, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #44,342 of 65,693
Reply from Armour Home (service for Grado UK) the phones are legit, but the Hemps they have with them have the leather headband, upon their advice I've forwarded my question to Grado support in the UK. The thick plottens....
Good to see your pads update above and that you found some black tape. Lol

Dec 15, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #44,343 of 65,693
For anyone who finds their Grados a bit bright, there's an inexpensive solution you should try:
https://www.amazon.com/Protectors-Wireless-Headphones-Headsets-1-57-3-14/dp/B07VRZ7BRT/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2P5GYVR5WLDU2&dchild=1&keywords=jarmor+earpads+sweater+cover+protectors&qid=1608053284&sprefix=jarmor+,aps,343&sr=8-3
These covers over S or L cushions tame the upper treble a touch and make the sound warmer. They also improve comfort, especially with the L pads. They do compromise a touch on the famous Grado clarity, but it can be a worthwhile tradeoff, depending on your gear and preferences.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #44,344 of 65,693
Good to see your pads update above and that you found some black tape. Lol
I now have a set of L pads with black tape, geekria with blue tape and geekria with black tape. I swear that black tape sounds better! :smiley:
I have also had confirmation that UK versions of the Hemps do indeed come fitted with the ugly cheap looking vinyl headband, so polluting the planet with an unnatural material instead of using a perfectly usable and sustainable natural animal hide.

Dec 15, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #44,345 of 65,693
Looks like I'll be joining the Grado fan club as of yesterday ~ grabbed a Hemp!

Dec 15, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #44,347 of 65,693
I believe Hemps are nice start Grado. Their sound signature is Grado like, but they are less aggressive and have good amounts of low end.

That's pretty much a perfect one-sentence explanation of why I got them.

I'm also in Colorado, so owning a headphone called the hemp is a pretty much a moral obligation as a native.

Dec 15, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #44,348 of 65,693
That's pretty much a perfect one-sentence explanation of why I got them.

I'm also in Colorado, so owning a headphone called the hemp is a pretty much a moral obligation as a native.

Ha hey man. Been a long time since we used to play CS 10+ years ago. Crazy running into you here! Enjoy, Grados are addicting!

Dec 15, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #44,350 of 65,693
CS bringing people together online as always :)

Yup. Really strange coincidence. We were in the same CS:Source clan (if that doesn't age me then I don't know what will!) at least 10-12 years ago. Haven't really talked any since!

Dec 15, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #44,351 of 65,693
Hi guys
I need your advice. I have fostex th900, hifiman ananda and grado gh2. This is my first grado.
It took a long time to acquire a grade because I was afraid of its treble but when they told me that gh2 is softer I decided to try.
I love his signature so much that I've only been with him for 3 weeks and I'm already considering a totl of the brand.
The gs3000e grade catches my attention, they use the same wood and I think they can have a similar profile but with more resolution and soundstage. Where I like the gh2 the most is in rock, they have punch and guitars and vocals sound great.
Do you recommend the gs3000e or do you think there is another more suitable model or should I stay with the gh2?
Cheers!!

Dec 15, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #44,352 of 65,693
For anyone who finds their Grados a bit bright, there's an inexpensive solution you should try:
https://www.amazon.com/Protectors-Wireless-Headphones-Headsets-1-57-3-14/dp/B07VRZ7BRT/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2P5GYVR5WLDU2&dchild=1&keywords=jarmor+earpads+sweater+cover+protectors&qid=1608053284&sprefix=jarmor+,aps,343&sr=8-3
These covers over S or L cushions tame the upper treble a touch and make the sound warmer. They also improve comfort, especially with the L pads. They do compromise a touch on the famous Grado clarity, but it can be a worthwhile tradeoff, depending on your gear and preferences.

I find that these covers do not change the signature at all. Perhaps your ears are better than mine and you are able to pick up some difference.

Maybe other members who own these covers can give us their opinion.

I use them on all my Grado headphones (except my GH2 which has G pads) for the improved comfort.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #44,353 of 65,693
The GH2 and GS3000e use the same wood but I wouldn't really call the GS3000e the "big brother". The GS3000e uses a completely different driver and has the midbass hump at a different frequency range. There's a chance you'll actually prefer the GH2 over it and have buyer's remorse. Always audition first. What the cocobolo does in the GS3000e is make it the lushest sounding of the Statement line, as the GS1000e and GS2000e are freakin' banshees. You might want to hunt for a GS1000i because that felt more like "GH2 but wider" to me. The GS1000i used Grado's older 40mm driver so it'll sound more familiar to you than the e-series Statement models.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #44,354 of 65,693
[QUOTE = "Gippy, publicación: 16039885, miembro: 464610"]
El GH2 y el GS3000e usan la misma madera, pero yo realmente no llamaría al GS3000e el "hermano mayor". El GS3000e utiliza un controlador completamente diferente y tiene la joroba de medios bajos en un rango de frecuencia diferente. Existe la posibilidad de que prefieras la GH2 a ella y te arrepientas del comprador. Siempre haga una audición primero. Lo que hace el cocobolo en el GS3000e es convertirlo en el sonido más exuberante de la línea Statement, ya que el GS1000e y el GS2000e son malditos banshees. Es posible que desee buscar una GS1000i porque me pareció más "GH2 pero más ancha". El GS1000i utilizó el controlador de 40 mm más antiguo de Grado, por lo que le resultará más familiar que los modelos Statement de la serie e.
[/CITAR]
H
¿Cómo cambia principalmente el gs3009e del gh2?
¿Tiene menos impacto?
¿No funciona tan bien en rock?
Salud
The GH2 and GS3000e use the same wood but I wouldn't really call the GS3000e the "big brother". The GS3000e uses a completely different driver and has the midbass hump at a different frequency range. There's a chance you'll actually prefer the GH2 over it and have buyer's remorse. Always audition first. What the cocobolo does in the GS3000e is make it the lushest sounding of the Statement line, as the GS1000e and GS2000e are freakin' banshees. You might want to hunt for a GS1000i because that felt more like "GH2 but wider" to me. The GS1000i used Grado's older 40mm driver so it'll sound more familiar to you than the e-series Statement models.
Hi
How does the gs300e mainly change from gh2?
Has it less impact?
Doesn't it work so well in rock?
Cheers

Dec 15, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #44,355 of 65,693
I find that these covers do not change the signature at all. Perhaps your ears are better than mine and you are able to pick up some difference.

Maybe other members who own these covers can give us their opinion.

I use them on all my Grado headphones (except my GH2 which has G pads) for the improved comfort.
I have the GH4 and SR60, a friend has the RS2e and SR80e. We both hear the same thing, slightly closed in and slightly warmer sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back