Grado Fan Club!
Nov 18, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #43,941 of 65,584
After seeing the bushmills Grado, I wonder when a non limited closed Grado will arrive. In ear and wireless grado have become reality, a closed back headphone would be nice.

Still dreaming of a GH2 closed back headphone.
How does the bushmills sound?
I think a closed-back GH2 would be very hard to tune even remotely similar to the open back version. I can hold my hand 1cm away from the grills on mine while listening and not only notice midrange reflections, but the midbass changes. If you completely cover the hole with something soft like a napkin (pourous?) it seems to decrease the punch they are known for. If I completely block them off with a solid drink coaster, they sound like absolute dog-spit. In order to sound decent I think the cups would need to be huge with a ton of damping, which would mean more weight, more expensive Cocobolo, and a hefty price tag. Maybe a GH5 and be a mix of the limited edition Heritage series and the Statement series? Or perhaps they could make a similar looking closed version with a different driver that has a different Qts and VAS.

EDIT: Also, I think the bushmills version is semi-open somewhere. Sorry didn’t mean to be a Debby Downer.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #43,942 of 65,584
Actually, that is not the consensus around here when it comes to the GH1.
The GH1 sounds fantastic with both, Grado L & G cushions, as does the GH2 IMHO.
I use both, my GH1 & 2 exclusively w/Grado G cushions and prefer both over other models that come stock w/G cushion.

I'm somewhere in between: I think the GH2 sounds fantastic with the G cushions, and it also sounds fantastic (perhaps a little better) with the L pads.

I only use G pads with my GH2. I think paraphernalia is right in saying that the G pads change the sound profile, which is a good thing since I like the resulting profile.

Nov 18, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #43,943 of 65,584
After seeing the bushmills Grado, I wonder when a non limited closed Grado will arrive.
The Bushmills is semi open around the circumference of the cups. Hard to see, though.

EDIT: Also, I think the bushmills version is semi-open somewhere.
+1

I only use G pads with my GH2. I think paraphernalia is right in saying that the G pads change the sound profile, which is a good thing since I like the resulting profile
I agree 100%.

Nov 18, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #43,944 of 65,584
Waiting on grado to make a GS500 version of the hemp lol, that would be something grand

Nov 18, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #43,947 of 65,584
I think a closed-back GH2 would be very hard to tune even remotely similar to the open back version. I can hold my hand 1cm away from the grills on mine while listening and not only notice midrange reflections, but the midbass changes. If you completely cover the hole with something soft like a napkin (pourous?) it seems to decrease the punch they are known for. If I completely block them off with a solid drink coaster, they sound like absolute dog-spit. In order to sound decent I think the cups would need to be huge with a ton of damping, which would mean more weight, more expensive Cocobolo, and a hefty price tag. Maybe a GH5 and be a mix of the limited edition Heritage series and the Statement series? Or perhaps they could make a similar looking closed version with a different driver that has a different Qts and VAS.

EDIT: Also, I think the bushmills version is semi-open somewhere. Sorry didn’t mean to be a Debby Downer.

Well I mean with the looks of the GH2. Sound is different of course. Is more like the ZMF Verite open and closed. Well, I think Grado can make a beautiful and good sounding closed back.

Nov 18, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #43,949 of 65,584
What's the consensus here on the HF3 headphones? They seem like a good deal for wood Grados.
They're fantastic. A lot like The Hemps, perhaps not as much bass but a little cleaner up top. Or I'm just imagining that. But definitely like the Hemps. Similar size, and feel.

Nov 18, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #43,950 of 65,584
This song just gives absolute chills on the GH2s:

With the LCD2-Closed, it sounds well produced and mixed but loses the emotions :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back