Grado Fan Club!
Nov 17, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #43,921 of 65,693
Douglas Fir as appreciated by Special Agent Dale Cooper?
There are some great aerial films of Scotland
1605604583082.jpeg

sounds great on SR80e

Nov 17, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #43,922 of 65,693
Why this lol? Is the GH1 and obvious choice?

Grados product range is congested. Bunch of headphones, around similar price points, look similar, scarce reviews. And a bunch use the same driver and vary in price wildly! Hard to decypher for the non-grado nutters.

As t the moment I'm wondering if any will suit my sonic tastes. I think most will be lacking in the bass/sub-bass, and those that have that boosted a bit might also be a bit V and bright up top for me. Hmm. Wish I could demo some here
You bring up bass a lot. Might consider The Hemp. Its more widely available, and not as expensive for a trial run. If the bass in those isn't what you're looking for then its doubtful any Grados will be.

Nov 17, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #43,923 of 65,693
If you only care about bass slam over everything else, then you're best off just getting an SR80e and punching 10 holes in the felt behind the driver. This can be done with a hairdryer and a ballpoint pen. It's significantly more difficult to do this on non-plastic models.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #43,924 of 65,693
The lol was because there's really no right answer. Just because one spends more money doesn't mean your gonna like it more.
I used to think this way about Grados since I went through almost all models at one point but now I'm not so sure with the newer limited editions and even the "e" models.
Out of the models you pointed out, I think the GH1 would be a safer bet (although I personally haven't heard the gh2). It sounds good with the stock L-cush but also with the bigger g-cush aka salad bowls so you get to choose which you like best. You can get the bigger sound stage of the bigger Grados or the more intimate stage with the smaller L-cush pads. Personally I preferred them with the stock pads but many like them with the G-cush pads.

Edit: yes, ideally it would be best to hear for yourself.
I also had nowhere to demo but fortunately I'm in the US so with Grado or any other headphones I want to try I keep a close eye on the classifieds and jump on good deals on used cans.
I can then hear for myself and then sell off at a minimum expense after I'm done with it.

Grado is definitely a rabbit hole, all the same and all different enough to matter.

Here, have HF2, GS2Ke, RS1e and GH1.

This small sample includes 2 with a 44mm driver and 2 with 50mm, 1 maple, 1 mahogany, 1 both, and an aluminum & mahogany hybrid.

And they all sound great, although my top whack favorite is definitely GH1/L. Timbre, PRaT, clarity, detail, resolution are to my tastes unequaled.

I appreciate their comfort, light weight, and style. And they were made from a tree that grew in Brooklyn, and how cool is that?

Nov 17, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #43,925 of 65,693
No the whole Bluetooth dac seems to be inside the left can. I could only try to turn it off and on... Perhaps I must open it up to check what went wrong.
Very disappointed because I haven’t use these much. This doesn’t inspire my confidence in Grado’s upcoming true wireless Either, probably would not buy it despite how much I love agrado...
I pre-ordered the Grado GT220 (true wireless). I had an issue with the first pair they sent. Seemed like the buds weren't seating in the case properly. They wouldn't charge or turn off sometimes. Not sure if it was the buds or the case. Nothing was wrong with the sound though, or pairing, etc. Grado swapped them out, no problem. The new pair is working great! Can't believe the sound I'm getting out of wireless ear buds.

Nov 17, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #43,928 of 65,693
Of all the models, what is the "best" Grado?
Looking for high detail/resolution and impactful bass (as much as a grado can), plus the usual Grado dynamics.
In my opinion after listening to both the PS2000e and the GS3000e hp’s I bought the 3000e’s because they sounded more open and natural to me. I listen to a lot of jazz, classical, and opera, so the 3000e’s suited my ears better. The PS2000e’s strong suits were rock & roll, hip-hop, techno, and pop music. I think the GS3000e’s are Grado’s best sounding hp’s.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #43,929 of 65,693
Thanks guys.

I might try a lower end ones first, see if it's my jams

If I find a GH1 or GH2 type one, what's a good pad for them? Want around the ear, and soft. I wear glasses, so on ear is a no no, and stiff stock Grado pads not so great either

Nov 18, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #43,933 of 65,693
If I find a GH1 or GH2 type one, what's a good pad for them? Want around the ear, and soft. I wear glasses, so on ear is a no no, and stiff stock Grado pads not so great either

The consensus on here and also my personal experience are that you don't want to change out the original pad type of most Grado models as that would change their sound profile too much.

FWIW I also wear glasses and i am fine with the L pads.

Nov 18, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #43,934 of 65,693
The consensus on here and also my personal experience are that you don't want to change out the original pad type of most Grado models as that would change their sound profile too much.

FWIW I also wear glasses and i am fine with the L pads.
Actually, that is not the consensus around here when it comes to the GH1.
The GH1 sounds fantastic with both, Grado L & G cushions, as does the GH2 IMHO.
I use both, my GH1 & 2 exclusively w/Grado G cushions and prefer both over other models that come stock w/G cushion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back