Grado Fan Club!
Oct 20, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #43,576 of 65,584
Oct 20, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #43,580 of 65,584
You can use a balanced amplifier. There are amazing single ended amplifiers, so I don’t think it’s necessary unless you have a good balanced amplifier.

Correct. It's worth it just then, if you have a fully balanced amplifier. Then, there are several technical and audible benefits. More power, faster slew-rate, less noise which usually translates to a more effortles, more dymaic and open sound. But there are fantastic non-balanced amplifiers too.

Single-ended is a bit different term, you can have a balanced amplifier which has 2 single ended amplifier inside (facing each other). It describes how the output stage is designed (push-pull or single ended are the two most common types).

Oct 20, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #43,581 of 65,584
Correct. It's worth it just then, if you have a fully balanced amplifier. Then, there are several technical and audible benefits. More power, faster slew-rate, less noise which usually translates to a more effortles, more dymaic and open sound. But there are fantastic non-balanced amplifiers too.

Single-ended is a bit different term, you can have a balanced amplifier which has 2 single ended amplifier inside (facing each other). It describes how the output stage is designed (push-pull or single ended are the two most common types).
This is why I need a WOO WA22 fully balanced headphone amp.

Oct 20, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #43,582 of 65,584
Have some somebody heard a Black limited edition? They look real nice...

Oct 20, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #43,583 of 65,584
I'm already in way deep. Bought the RS2e in May. Then the GS1000e a few weeks ago. Pre-ordered the GT-220 wireless buds...they are coming Wednesday. And just received the Hemp headphones today. I'm liking the Hemp!! I'm running them all through a Fiio M11 DAP. Should I run that through a headphone amp? Been looking at the Schiit Vali2. Is it necessary if I have a DAP though? It has it's own amp
Many headphones scale well with improved amplification; your GS1000e will, I'm sure, as they are a statement headphone and demand to be driven accordingly.

Oct 20, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #43,584 of 65,584
Recently upgraded from my vent modded 225i's to the GS1000e. What an amazing headphone. It is just so comfortable and really disappears on my head while the sound flows around me. When the house is quiet playing these at low levels is really a treat. Cheers everyone.
IMG_1570.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #43,585 of 65,584
Got the PS500e earlier this month & I really like it. Using it w/ my WA6-SE 2nd gen [w/ 274B Sophia Mesh Plate Tube/ Rectifier & 13EM7 NOS tubes] & I switched EQ & presently using the JDS Labs Subjective 3. The sound is so clean/ clear & dynamic without any grain, sibilance or overlapping of instruments. Also very detailed. For example, listening to Van Morrison’s Whenever God Shines His Light, the drums in the background are fast and smooth, the rider cymbal sounds authentic, not harsh or sibilant, the bass drum‘s sound is tight and clear not overly “boomie”. All of the instruments are well separated and even the odd rhythmic guitar lick coming from the left side is clear. I’m really happy with this headphone, it’s better than I expected.

Oct 21, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #43,586 of 65,584
Got the PS500e earlier this month & I really like it. Using it w/ my WA6-SE 2nd gen [w/ 274B Sophia Mesh Plate Tube/ Rectifier & 13EM7 NOS tubes] & I switched EQ & presently using the JDS Labs Subjective 3. The sound is so clean/ clear & dynamic without any grain, sibilance or overlapping of instruments. Also very detailed. For example, listening to Van Morrison’s Whenever God Shines His Light, the drums in the background are fast and smooth, the rider cymbal sounds authentic, not harsh or sibilant, the bass drum‘s sound is tight and clear not overly “boomie”. All of the instruments are well separated and even the odd rhythmic guitar lick coming from the left side is clear. I’m really happy with this headphone, it’s better than I expected.

Congrats! I have the PS500e, too and love them. Great headphone.

Oct 21, 2020 at 4:01 AM Post #43,588 of 65,584
All the PS500e love here is quite funny because when i bought mine a while ago and did some research beforehand i nearly didn't buy it because the reviews were very mixed. It was called "dark" and "veiled" by some. I mean you could call it that if you compare it to an SR60e but it's far from having no highs or being boomy. In the end i bought it because it was kinda cheap on Ebay and i wanted a "darker" counterbalance to my RS2e and i was pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #43,589 of 65,584
Continuing to enjoy HF2 and GS2000e, both well broken in when I inherited them.

Much to the exclusion of my other cans, although I've briefly and intermittently gone back to my favorites, just for additional perspective, and they still all do that thing they do, whatever that thing is.

But they don't do that Grado thing, that's like, here's the real music, shut up.

So I've fallen down the rabbit hole, and have some more and lightly used Grados incoming, that I'll have to burn in myself, a GH1 and a late RS1e.

I understand these are all in a sense outliers, either warmer, darker or more polite than ... normal, or normal for Grado.

Should I just cut to the chase, get an SR60 and be done? My wallet would surely thank me.

Oct 21, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #43,590 of 65,584
Continuing to enjoy HF2 and GS2000e, both well broken in when I inherited them.

Much to the exclusion of my other cans, although I've briefly and intermittently gone back to my favorites, just for additional perspective, and they still all do that thing they do, whatever that thing is.

But they don't do that Grado thing, that's like, here's the real music, shut up.

So I've fallen down the rabbit hole, and have some more and lightly used Grados incoming, that I'll have to burn in myself, a GH1 and a late RS1e.

I understand these are all in a sense outliers, either warmer, darker or more polite than ... normal, or normal for Grado.

Should I just cut to the chase, get an SR60 and be done? My wallet would surely thank me.

Or go the other way and try them all... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back