Grado Fan Club!
Sep 25, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #43,201 of 65,789
hmm. I been interested in some GS3000e as an upgrade from my RS2E. But reading this maybe not. The thing I like most about the RS2E is that rich timbre and tone - you know, when listening to a live instrument actually sounds like there is somebody playing it - they sound like a single driver horn speaker, or like Zu Audio Omen speakers in that regard. I love the RS2E sound, but of course, am always looking for more of everything that they offer. Doesn't seem like there is a headphone offering this out there
If rich timbre and tone is your thing, not sure the GS3000e would be the best choice but of course you very well may hear it differently as others here do. It gives you the big soundstage and airier treble but tonal richness is the price paid for that. Haven’t heard a headphone with both yet. With flat pads, the Hemp has tone and lifelike timbre like crazy.

Sep 25, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #43,202 of 65,789
So I purchased the hybrid ear cushions and headband from beautiful audio.biz fir my SR325e’s. Part foam part Merino I believe. Do different colours too. No they aren’t cheap. Think set me back 175 dollars but must say they are super soft and comfortable. Last night I listened for four hours straight with them and at no time did I get head or ear fatigue from wearing them. I’m a glasses wearer too and didn’t feel any pressure from the cushions at all like I did with the stock pads. As for the sound, to my untrained ear I thought they seemed to ever so slightly enhance the bass whilst taking away some of the harshness in the highs giving a slightly more balanced sound. Really glad I got these for my SR325e’s. Super happy with them.
I have those on my 325e also. Yours look better than mine do. But they get the job done.

Sep 25, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #43,203 of 65,789
I kinda miss my Grado SR-60s (before the i and e series came out). I kept them until they literally fell apart, and then bought a Sennheiser HD600 (along with a Schiit stack) once I realized they weren't coming back. I wonder if I will ever dip my toes into Grado waters again. An irrational part of me wants to buy one of every model of theirs, since I like that they go up in numbers, but I can imagine that, say, an SR-80e is very close to an SR-125e.
Brand new SR60e goes for $80, and you can find used ones on Ebay anytime for even less. Come back home . . . Mama's callin' 😁

Sep 25, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #43,206 of 65,789
If rich timbre and tone is your thing, not sure the GS3000e would be the best choice but of course you very well may hear it differently as others here do. It gives you the big soundstage and airier treble but tonal richness is the price paid for that. Haven’t heard a headphone with both yet. With flat pads, the Hemp has tone and lifelike timbre like crazy.

Thats interesting to me - How would the transparency compare between the GS3000e and something like the HD800? For me it either goes two ways - dynamism, tone, texture - or - transparency, immediacy and accuracy. Both routes give me a real sense of the music (as opposed to just the reproduction of sound).

I've got a pair of Stax for the latter, and they reproduce a lot of music excellently, but I would replace them if given the choice (purely because they just feel like they require more effort to use, as weird as that sounds).

From what I have read, the hemps are great, but maybe no need since I have these RS2E's really singing with the current setup.

Sep 25, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #43,207 of 65,789
Thats interesting to me - How would the transparency compare between the GS3000e and something like the HD800? For me it either goes two ways - dynamism, tone, texture - or - transparency, immediacy and accuracy. Both routes give me a real sense of the music (as opposed to just the reproduction of sound).

I owned the HD800S for a very short time and had it concurrent with the GS2000e. So my thoughts aren't a direct comparison, but I still own my GS2000e and can compare against the GS3000e. At first listen, the GS2000e seems more transparent than the GS3000e. This is because the GS2000e has nonexistent sub-bass. The GS3000e has a slight upper bass boost at 150hz, and while that adds a sense of richness, that removes some of the transparency. But the GS2000e is a treble monster and tricks you into thinking it's more detailed when it really isn't. The GS3000e's drivers are more capable and actually extend below 60hz, unlike the GS2000e, though again, the default tuning kind of trades some speed for richness. Against the HD800S, the HD800S has slightly more soundstage depth due to its angled drivers. But it's very minute. I feel both the GS2000e and GS3000e have superior soundstage width.

What I can tell you is that at stock, when comparing the RS2e and GS3000e side by side, which I did in NYC, I actually preferred the RS2e because the stock GS3000e has a treble spike. For me, the GS3000e needed work to make it sound great, as I had to upgrade my amp, convert the plug to XLR4 (which made a difference, as the Pro iCAN's XLR4 out is significantly better than the 1/4" out), and use both my amp's analog processing as well as software EQ to get the most out of it.

Sep 25, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #43,208 of 65,789
I will at some point or another. Maybe I'll step up to the 80e (or the 125e....or the 225e?). Any recommendations?
Of the current line up, I have the SR60e, SR325e, and the Hemp. I heartily recommend any of them, depending on your budget. They're more similar than different. I suspect the same is true for the 80e, 125e, and 225e but I can't vouch for that personally. I have older model SR80 and SR125 which are fine but TBH the current SR60e is better then both of them.

Sep 25, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #43,209 of 65,789
I have older model SR80 and SR125 which are fine but TBH the current SR60e is better then both of them.

What's better about the SR60e?

I'm about to mod an SR60i. Perhaps I should mod the SR60e?!?!?

Sep 25, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #43,210 of 65,789
What's better about the SR60e?

I'm about to mod an SR60i. Perhaps I should mod the SR60e?!?!?
Bass.

When I listen to the older models I kinda get where the "Grados have no bass" trope came from. But the 60e has excellent, well-balanced bass for me. I listen to a lot of funky jazz with them while I work and they represent well.

The 80 and 125 I have are original non-i editions, so its possible that the 60i are closer to the 60e.

Sep 25, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #43,211 of 65,789
I have older model SR80 and SR125 which are fine but TBH the current SR60e is better then both of them.
That is not my experience. I prefer my original SR60 to a buddy's SR80e. Could be sample variation, could the ear pads used, could just be personal preference. I find the 80e a little more detailed, but uncomfortably bright.

IME, the SR60 does not get on well with the current Grado S-cushions. They pretty much ruin the sound. The original S-cushions are quite different; thinner, concave shape and made of softer, much finer grained foam than the current S pads. They deliver more bass, less treble than current Grado soft pads.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #43,213 of 65,789
That is not my experience. I prefer my original SR60 to a buddy's SR80e. Could be sample variation, could the ear pads used, could just be personal preference. I find the 80e a little more detailed, but uncomfortably bright.

IME, the SR60 does not get on well with the current Grado S-cushions. They pretty much ruin the sound. The original S-cushions are quite different; thinner, concave shape and made of softer, much finer grained foam than the current S pads. They deliver more bass, less treble than current Grado soft pads.
What did you think of the bass between the two, relatively. In every case where I've heard an 'e' version and an earlier version (same model #) I've thought the bass was significantly better in the 'e' version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back