Grado Fan Club!
Aug 27, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #42,646 of 65,587
What is the smoothest sounding Grado out of GH2, Hemp and ps500e for rock and metal?

I have had the RS2e and gs2000e previously but the treble was just to much for me. I currently have the GW100 and Empyrean.

I have never heard the Hemp, but I found the PS500e's too smoothed out for my liking. I love my GH2's, which I find a lot smoother than my SR325e's.

Aug 27, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #42,647 of 65,587
Since there was a lot of talk about the Sennheiser hd6xx series, I thought I would add my thoughts, I really like my hd6xx as a nice complimentary companion to my Grados!

For music I use the hemp for pretty much anything, but for music that doesn't require energy and instead can make do with a more relaxed sound and a meatier low end, then the darker sounding hd6xx is hard to beat, an example of this is certain folk music like Eivor, Myrkur and the like, or even synthwave, these all sound absolutely magical with the hd6xx with tubes or the spark(I still like all of these with the Hemp/spark combo, it's very versatile).

Also the HD6xx is probably unparalleled for movies and tv shows, where with the HD6xx you don't ever have to worry about anything ever getting too bright or sibilant.

In regards to a "live" sound; I find the Hemp more live sounding in comparison to the HD6xx. While the HD6xx does have amazing mids, the highs and the low-end don't contribute much in the way of a "live" sound as much as the Hemps do imho. But for a dark smooth relaxed listen the hd6xx is amazing but can sound dull depending on the track as a result.

Btw Myrkur's album Folkesange is giving me goosebumps listening with the Hemp spark combo, her voice sounds so real and the violins and cellos are rendered so beautifully.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #42,648 of 65,587
Since there was a lot of talk about the Sennheiser hd6xx series, I thought I would add my thoughts, I really like my hd6xx as a nice complimentary companion to my Grados!

For music I use the hemp for pretty much anything, but for music that doesn't require energy and instead can make do with a more relaxed sound and a meatier low end, then the darker sounding hd6xx is hard to beat, an example of this is certain folk music like Eivor, Myrkur and the like, or even synthwave, these all sound absolutely magical with the hd6xx with tubes or the spark(I still like all of these with the Hemp/spark combo, it's very versatile).

Also the HD6xx is probably unparalleled for movies and tv shows, where with the HD6xx you don't ever have to worry about anything ever getting too bright or sibilant.

In regards to a "live" sound; I find the Hemp more live sounding in comparison to the HD6xx. While the HD6xx does have amazing mids, the highs and the low-end don't contribute much in the way of a "live" sound as much as the Hemps do imho. But for a dark smooth relaxed listen the hd6xx is amazing but can sound dull depending on the track as a result.

Btw Myrkur's album Folkesange is giving me goosebumps listening with the Hemp spark combo, her voice sounds so real and the violins and cellos are rendered so beautifully.
Interestingly I do the same thing, except HD8xx/HD700 is my "bright/detailed" and Hemp my "Dark/relaxed". HD6xx I find too dark with soundstage too small to excite me.

Aug 27, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #42,649 of 65,587
I have the GH2, along with the SR325e for a while, and I would love to compare it to the Hemp, but alas, I would need some trusting soul to send me one to demo!!

Compared to the SR325e, the GH2 has an improved coherence and placement of instruments over the 325e. When I listen to the 325e for 20-30 minutes on familiar music, they sound great (and not too much spikey treble with the "e" version), but when I swap to the GH2 and re-listen to those same tracks, it is just clearer and "right" sounding. The bass on the GH2 is a bit tighter and fuller, and that is a characteristic of cocobolo that is reflected in acoustic guitars that have cocobolo for back and sides -- tight, punchy, clean bass without absorbing any of the treble in the upper registers. Very smooth (not grainy).

I haven't heard anything higher up the Grado chain.
Many thanks. Currently, I own the hf3, gh2, gs2ke, gw100 and use them for different purposes/genres. May try to order the hemps, in another attempt to find the holy grail..:beyersmile:

Aug 27, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #42,650 of 65,587
I really like the mids on my HD6xx - so much better than my GS2Ke in terms of projection and detail. How would you compare your GS3Ke to your Senns?
Even though the HD6xx is an old design, it still is one of the most natural sounding in terms of midrange timbre. I've never heard the GS2Ke but have owned the GS3ke and agree that the mids really suffer in comparison. The Hemp on the other hand, brings the mids nicely forward with very natural tone quality.

Aug 27, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #42,652 of 65,587
Alrighty, got my 325i (c2004) back from Grado - mount is fixed and they recabled it with the same as on the Hemp. Wish they'd given one foot more on both.

I have been using the Hemp every day for gaming, music, and videos out of a Modi/Magni 3 combo from my PC. I stand by my initial impressions - very good can but... the SR325i just has this magic in that range so many vocals are in, it's like the meat of the upper mids is just a knockout blow with them. Otherwise very similar in overall signature with the Hemps having perhaps a little more bass. All testing with standard pads - me no likely the flats.

Sorry if this is a love letter to my 325i but they really just hit my sweet spot! I like the Hemp and will hang on to them for now, always good to have a backup and they do sound superb and look unique.

Aug 27, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #42,653 of 65,587
the SR325i just has this magic in that range so many vocals are in, it's like the meat of the upper mids is just a knockout blow with them. Otherwise very similar in overall signature with the Hemps having perhaps a little more bass. All testing with standard pads - me no likely the flats.
But a Hemp with SR pads is not a Hemp? My priority is sound quality, not comfort. Could you please explain what sonic differences you hear with the different cushions?

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #42,654 of 65,587
But a Hemp with SR pads is not a Hemp? My priority is sound quality, not comfort. Could you please explain what sonic differences you hear with the different cushions?

Almost none? The difference puts the drivers about 1-2mm farther away from your ear. From my POV there is no sound quality if they aren't comfortable (because I won't use them). It's not like I'm putting bowls on - those you definitely can tell a big difference as you might expect.

Pads don't make the cans Hemp or not, come on now.

Aug 27, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #42,655 of 65,587
Right on the money. Hemp without flat pads has become a different kind of drug.

Aug 27, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #42,656 of 65,587
Almost none? The difference puts the drivers about 1-2mm farther away from your ear. From my POV there is no sound quality if they aren't comfortable (because I won't use them). It's not like I'm putting bowls on - those you definitely can tell a big difference as you might expect.

You may have already tried this but have you tried stretching out the headband so that the cups just lightly rest on your ear? At first I could only wear the hemp for 30 mins as my right ear would start to feel like it's on the fire, the pain was that bad. After stretching it out I can wear it for hours without any discomfort! The Hemps sound best with their stock pads imho

Aug 27, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #42,657 of 65,587

I have the SR60 and GH4, with six different sets of pads. Changing pads always produces significant sonic differences. I find it very difficult to believe that there is no difference between an L-cush and F-cush with the Hemp.

Aug 27, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #42,658 of 65,587
I have the SR60 and GH4, with six different sets of pads. Changing pads always produces significant sonic differences. I find it very difficult to believe that there is no difference between an L-cush and F-cush with the Hemp.
Between the L cush and F cush there's a massive difference with the Hemp, with the L-cush it sounds more like a normal Grado(if that makes sense), the Hemp is really special with the F pads

Aug 28, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #42,659 of 65,587
My pad-rolling report on the Hemp:

Sennheiser 414 ‘Yellow’ pads (with Quarter mod)
The Sennheiser pads are a clear comfort upgrade over the Stock F-Cush pads and are also closest to them in terms of overall signature. While they also have an exposed driver thanks to the ‘Quarter mod’, the thicker pads move the driver further away from the ear, and as a result, offer a slightly drier tone with less immediacy. The 414 pads also cause upper mids to dip slightly, along with a lowering in mid-bass impact.

S-Cush ‘flat pads’
The stock pads on the entry-level ‘Prestige’ Series Grado model give a noticeable improvement in smoothness on The Hemp Headphone, at the expense of treble clarity and overall energy. While they’re far more tolerable in terms of comfort, they do reduce the fun-factor of The Hemp Headphone.

L-Cush ‘bowl pads’
The addition of the OEM Grado ‘bowl’ pads makes for an interesting change. The Hemp Headphone becomes more incisive, with a snappier treble response and a leaner, more spacious overall feel. While this does tame their signature warmth, it might be worth keeping a pair of these pads on-hand to complement the stock pads and change things up from time to time.

G-Cush
These sound awful on The Hemp Headphone. They leave a veritable canyon in the mid-range, voices become nasally and distant, and treble is etched and sharp. Avoid.

Beautiful-audio leather/merino hybrid pads
These terrific-looking aftermarket pads from Beautiful Audio fall somewhere between the stock F-Cush pads and the L-Cush in terms of signature, and also happen to be the most comfortable pick of the bunch. They add a lower treble boost, plus add a bit of additional width and air The Hemp Headphones sound stage. Their overall mid-bass impact is reduced, but it does become tightened-up in the process. While these look great and sound pretty decent too on The Hemp Headphone, they are an expensive aftermarket proposition and do tend to remove much that makes them unique-sounding in the process.

Aug 28, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #42,660 of 65,587
As i like this puppy so much I decided to treat her nice and installed some mods:

1. shipibo aluminium rods & gimbals;
2. turbulent labs leather headband.

Attachments

• Grado Hemp.JPG
    Grado Hemp.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back