Grado Fan Club!
Aug 26, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #42,616 of 65,759
The Hemp on the other hand is wonderful. Just because something is way more expensive doesn't mean it's automatically better.

That is exactly why I am thinking about a second Hemp for work. I have my GLMK2 at the office and my LP at home and so, although same headphone I will still have two slightly different presentations. For closed back I have settled on Meze 99C which really is one of the best deals for do it all closed back headphone. My other go too is the HD600, which I cannot get over how good it can sound on tubes.

Aug 26, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #42,617 of 65,759
If soundstage is the top priority, there’s nothing that tops the HD800S. I did a pretty extensive comparison between the HD820 and HD800S and for me the HD800S was better across the board.
Yeah I owned hd800 in past and demoed hd800s so pretty familiar. Hd820 was first priority because most of time my listening area has noise. So now that I got one with isolation looking to get another for late night whether hd800s / gs3000 or otherwise

I will say the hd820 is not just smaller soundstage, it's just different. At times it gets as big as hd800s , other times smaller. Hd800s on the other hand big all the time. An interesting counterpart.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #42,618 of 65,759
Yeah I owned hd800 in past and demoed hd800s so pretty familiar. Hd820 was first priority because most of time my listening area has noise. So now that I got one with isolation looking to get another for late night whether hd800s / gs3000 or otherwise

I will say the hd820 is not just smaller soundstage, it's just different. At times it gets as big as hd800s , other times smaller. Hd800s on the other hand big all the time. An interesting counterpart.
The 820 is definitely a good choice if a closed headphone is required.

Aug 26, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #42,619 of 65,759
Greetings from Spain,

What's wrong with the HF3, the cable? It is very hard and tough... Well, it is changed and ready:
Grado-HF3cable-1.jpg

Original four core cable per channel from Grado, reused, braided and with a soft nylon cover. Amazing sound, perfect.

Be safe!!
C.K.

Aug 26, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #42,620 of 65,759
Of course everybody's taste in sound varies but for what it's worth, I owned the GS3000e for a while and just couldn't quite love it. The Hemp on the other hand is wonderful. Just because something is way more expensive doesn't mean it's automatically better. The Hemp and GS3000e are both very high caliber headphones but very different sounding and in the end it comes down to your own taste and priorities.

For what it's worth, I currently own the hemp and owned the HD800S for years (bought it right when it came out and sold it earlier this year) and also owned the GS3000e for a while. I would rank them Hemp, then HD800S, then GS3000e. The Hifiman Arya is what prompted me to sell the HD800S. As I've said here before, there was something about the mid-range tone of the GS3000e that I just couldn't live with so I stuck with the HD800S at the time.
Have you any idea of how hemp compares with gh2? Many thanks

Aug 26, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #42,621 of 65,759
Greetings from Spain,

What's wrong with the HF3, the cable? It is very hard and tough... Well, it is changed and ready:
Grado-HF3cable-1.jpg

Original four core cable per channel from Grado, reused, braided and with a soft nylon cover. Amazing sound, perfect.

Be safe!!
C.K.
FWIW: maybe I am just a weirdo, but I like the cable on the HF3. It doesn’t tangle and if you don’t move to much, it is quite good....

Aug 26, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #42,623 of 65,759
Thanks so much for the response. Would you say that Grados sound like electrostatics or maybe Audiotechnicas or the older Beyers? Specifically I am interested in the PS series.
Got to agree with the others, Grado does their own thing. If you're not in a position to try a Grado the next best thing is trying a koss ksc75 with yaxi pads, off my lg g8x with the quad dac it sounds the closest to a Grado I've heard. The ksc75 shares a lot of grado qualities such as a fast, reasonably life like and energetic sound. If Koss suddenly revealed these were built by Grado in disguise I would believe them lol

The only electrostatics I've heard is the sr009(I was in awe at the time) but that was so long ago that I wont be able to make an honest comparison, but I can say without a doubt it's very different sounding.

My only extended experience with audio technica is my m40x and the m50x, the m40x is very different, it's more like a studio monitor, flat sounding. Very good at what it does but lacks the energy and life like qualities grados bring to the table. I didn't like the m50x personally.

The only Beyer I've spent enough time with is the dt770, the bass and midrange is near opposite to what you'll get in a grado, grados have a more upfront and tonally a more life like midrange whereas in the 770 the midrange sounds a bit recessed compared to the treble and bass. The bass in grados is lighter and faster sounding(in some models the speed and snap is almost planar like for a dynamic driver), whereas the 770 sounded boomier and slower to me.

I hope this was helpful!

I owned the GS3000e for a while and just couldn't quite love it. The Hemp on the other hand is wonderful.
Even though I really like the gs3000e I'm joining the club of those who prefer the Hemp for the same reason :beerchug:

Aug 26, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #42,625 of 65,759
Isn't Hemp like the most popular headphone Grado has released in the past decade? What can they do to continue the momentum given its an LE?

Hemp Pro LE w/ larger driver? :)

Aug 26, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #42,626 of 65,759
Isn't Hemp like the most popular headphone Grado has released in the past decade? What can they do to continue the momentum given its an LE?

Two Words: DETACHABLE CABLE

But we know that will never happen haha.

Aug 26, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #42,627 of 65,759

Provide one or two standard models based on the flat pads. That's the main reason the Hemp sounds so good. They could market it as a throwback to the original Grado designs to go along with the Heritage Matters theme.

Aug 26, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #42,628 of 65,759
Provide one or two standard models based on the flat pads. That's the main reason the Hemp sounds so good. They could market it as a throwback to the original Grado designs to go along with the Heritage Matters theme.
This. Make an RS3e thats basically a Hemp without the button. Keep the price at $420, for the ones who know.

Aug 26, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #42,630 of 65,759
I was testing a lot with higher volumes, it got pretty hot to the touch, not scorching hot but still hot. I did an all-nighter working on my thesis with the hemp and the spark, this was a near transcendental experience...

Ah, how I miss my days of doing nothing else but working on my doctorate dissertation. Cherish them while they last! BTW, may I know what tracks//artist/music genre were you listening to when you felt like it was a near-transcendental experience with the Hemp & Spark pairing?

Got to agree with the others, Grado does their own thing. If you're not in a position to try a Grado the next best thing is trying a koss ksc75 with yaxi pads, off my lg g8x with the quad dac it sounds the closest to a Grado I've heard. The ksc75 shares a lot of grado qualities such as a fast, reasonably life like and energetic sound. If Koss suddenly revealed these were built by Grado in disguise I would believe them lol

Did you put on the Yaxi pads over the stock KSC75 pads or did your remove the stock pads entirely before putting on the Yaxis?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back