Grado Fan Club!
Oct 18, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #40,426 of 65,621
If there is an award for the longest first post in Head-Fi history, you sir win it! Hands down!:astonished:
:grin::grin:

Shane D

I feel like RuthieAndJohn might have me beat :)

What can I say, I'm pretty excited about these and will be putting them through their paces. Anywho, off to the store to buy some Elijah Craig Small Batch bourbon to indulge in music tonight. Happy weekend all!

Oct 18, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #40,427 of 65,621
Hello Gradophiles! First post on this board, so be easy on me. Just wanted to share some ramblings about my budding appreciation for these cans.

Some of my brief notes and impressions of the GW100:
  • GW100 was my first Grado and first open-back design. I see it’s not as highly regarded as traditional Grados but it’s signature has imprinted onto me for the better.
  • The first thing I noticed with it (used ~85% wired in home office, ~15% wireless): SO much more mid & upper bass than my Sennheiser HD-280 Pro. It also sounds faster and deeper, but I initially scooped out 2-3dB of the 250~500Hz range.
  • After a while, (probably “brain burn-in” & some driver burn in) I grew to love the closeness and immediacy – haven’t listened to the HD-280Pros for music in months!
  • The sound is INCREDIBLY addictive. Even before I read the “Grado Fan Club” thread, the Grado warmth & presence hooked me!
Comparison vs. Grado GW100

1. Semi-technical observations:
  • Bass is not as prominent as GW100, but noticeably goes about ½ octave deeper and doesn’t have the same “bloom”
    • I like to listen loudly and in some songs, the bass is so realistic that I notice phantom physical vibrations in my chair and on my feet when sitting during strong transients. I often work from home and today I got up twice to make sure no one broke in at 2:00pm
  • Almost same mid-bass warmth as the GW100, but less prominent and quicker around the 250Hz EQ band.
  • Low mids seem a bit scooped compared to GW100 – using VLC media player and listening to Edie Brickell’s “Stwisted”, a 0.8dB boost at 600Hz and 0.6dB boost at 1Khz seems to emulate the up-close-and-personal feeling the GW100s excel at so well.
  • Much greater upper treble – gradual increase starting at 8k, peaking around 10-12k, slow plateau to around 16k+ (the lack of “sparkle” is my main gripe with the sound of the GW100).
2. Subjective “sound” characteristic comparisons:
  • These arrived today from an eBay seller who claimed < 20 hours on them. First thing I notice is that the treble has such a crisp, effortless presentation that instrument separation is a piece of cake compared to the muffled tone of the GW100. I also immediately noticed higher frequency details that I have to go hunting for in my other cans. Ex:
    • Rhythmic squeak in possibly bass drum kick pedal or high-hats opening/closing in “Superstition” by Stevie Wonder.
    • Some odd light metallic contact or clanging sound during “Good Love Had To Die” by Grainne Duffy (good example at seconds 52-54). I’m guessing it’s those sizzler bead chains people but on ride cymbals that look just like ceiling fan pull chains, or could be her wearing a couple bracelets clanging against each other. The first time I noticed it was on my GW100s, but it was softer and not as convincing, thinking it was my dog’s tag brushing against her collar. With the GH2s, it gives me a tingling on my spine at the base of my skull, and is kind of enjoyable (in an eerie way)!
  • The (slightly exaggerated) upper bass / low mid presence from the GW100 is not there. After reading >300 pages of the “Grado Fan Club” thread, I see that this headphone departs from the typical Grado “house sound”, but still belongs in the neighborhood haha. To me, it feels like I’m in a private recording session in a well dampened, large studio. The down-side is that some guitar distortion (lower notes) isn’t as engaging and “crunchy”, but the upside is (male) vocals sound like they’re coming almost directly from the mixing board with a less forced sound. Female vocals like Dianna Krall actually depend on how deeps she goes – sometimes this works, sometimes when she hits the lower registers it doesn’t feel as lifelike.
  • The bass is actually weaker (quantity) in the <60Hz range compared to the GW100 (which REALLY surprised me, considering every says this is the bassiest Grado). However, it seems more linear (flatter frequency response) and does extend further. I still don’t notice much sub-bass (even my floor standers with only dual 6.5” woofers seem to make more audible bass below 40Hz). I tried swapping the “comfies” from my GW100s on, but the diameter of the cans on them are a good chunk wider than the GH2 and they didn’t stay on by themselves. This did improve the 50-70Hz bass, but it also re-created the mid-bass bloom of the GW100, decreased the treble extension and killed the sound-stage! I have to say, I am pretty disappointed about this aspect of the GH2s considering how much praise their bass gets! I’ve put about 4-5 hours on them so far, so according to the seller’s estimate they probably have 25 hours of “burn in”. I am hoping to continue listening to them at least 3 hours a day and maybe this will “loosen up” the drivers. A note on this – I am playing directly from mostly laptops and computers (Lenovo Thinkpad T440 with Intel 8 Series HD Integrated, Sager laptop with VIA HD ‘Vinyl’? sound-card, and Lenovo ThinkCentre M800 with Realtek HD). I tried my Parasound Classic 2100 stereo preamp’s headphone out, but it was too weak. I can’t find my 1/8th to 1/4” adapter to try my Onkyo receiver’s out and I’m guessing it will be no better. After I recover from buying the GH2s, I wouldn’t mind getting a good DAP or desktop DAC/Amp combo since I do ~90% of my listening at home.
3. Miscellaneous notes:
  • I must have a smallish head, because I don’t find the clamping force strong at all – I actually am carefully trying to bend the headband into a slightly tighter “U” shape for a bit better fit!
  • This is the first time I’ve used a ‘phone with the L-cushion and it’s not as comfortable as normal circumaural sets, or even the S-pad (which is only bad when certain parts of the driver grill are on the wrong spot of your ear), but they don’t offend me like some of you say. After one two-hour listening session, they just felt a bit “scratchy” on my upper hears. I also wear glasses all day and this wasn’t a problem for me.
  • Again on the pads – I see what you guys say about how drastically they affect the sound! I reversed them and it just killed the imaging and separation. The bass got sloppy and the highs were mushed together. The loose fitting S-pad (GW100) also made the bass very flubby, even worse than they sound on the GW100! I might try getting some Earzonks or other generics because I can hear noticeable changes in sound just from pushing the phones in VERY slightly, or adjusting how tight they fit! It’s also crazy how sensitive they are to putting your fingers even half an inch close to the backs of the cans. I can’t believe how much the sound signature changes.
  • The cord that comes with them can also be dual purpose as a stethoscope and for jump-starting a two-stroke Detroit Diesel during an Alaskan winter. I suppose it is good if I want to ever convert to balanced.
  • I can’t put them down. There is something magnetic about them, even with the weaker than expected bass. Perhaps with more burn-in (cranial and physical) they’ll loosen up and I’ll get that sound I’ve been craving the past few weeks. I will say that going back to the GW100s after these is a shock. It sound like listening to these cans with a cotton swab in between your ears.
  • I went downstairs and played some of the same “reference” tracks of mine on my modest stereo (Parasound Classic 2100 Pre, Parasound NewClassic 2125v2 amp, MartinLogan Motion 12 speakers). I dunno if buying a good headphone amp can ever emulate the sound and feeling of a full range stereo setup. You can feel the bass in the ground, the mids throw a scary realistic sound-stage (semi-dipole open back mid driver), and the treble (thanks to the folded motion tweeter) throw audience claps and fret noise over a vast 3D area, especially on “Framptop Comes Alive!” Yeah, the intimacy from headphones isn’t quite there, but DAMN if I don’t like how deep and wide it plays! I guess that’s kind of related to my prior opinion of headphones as being a good compromise.
Albums Sampled (FLAC or Spotify Premium Ultra Quality)
  • Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians – “Shooting Rubberbands at the Stars”
  • Grainne Duffy – “Out of the Dark” (thanks to the Head-Fi member who posted one of her songs from this album 3-400 pages back!)
  • Terry Reid – “Seed of Memory”
  • Hiromi’s Trio Project – “Move”
  • GoGo Penguin – “A Humdrum Star”
  • Owane – “Whatever” and “Dunno”
  • Celia Pavey – “This is Music”
  • Crosby Stills Nash & Young – “Deja Vu”
  • Dianna Krall – “The Girl in the Other Room”
  • Imogen Heap – “Speak for Yourself”
  • Intervals – “The Way Forward”
  • Stone Temple Pilots – “Purple”
  • Rodrigo y Gabriela – “Rodrigo y Gabriela”
  • Skooma – “Skooma” (small Stoner/Prog rock/metal from Binghampton NY – awesome)
  • Animals as Leaders – “Animals as Leaders”
Some background for those with more patience for my rambling

I haven’t been in the headphone game very long, just used to see them as a compromise tool for on the go listening. But I’ve always been somewhat of a sensible “audiophile” in the sense of a huge appreciation for music and faithful reproduction – NOT in the sense of spending hundreds of $$ on a 6ft run of speaker cable. I took piano lessons and played for over 8 years as a kid (now regret quitting), attempted the guitar for a couple years, and finally settled on drums which is the one instrument that “clicked” with me and never gets dull. So I like to humbly think I have a good musical grasp of melody, rhythm, good ear for details, and other subjective aspects that make me really appreciate it.

When the family is out of the house for a while, my favorite thing to do is pour a glass of bourbon and play music as loud as I can without fearing the neighbors will call the cops on me. I love feeling the heart rate increase and goosebumps in anticipation of a great guitar solo or belting vocal passage. Of double bass pounding that can be felt in your chest and sofa, of piano pedals being pressed and released and panning right to left of the low to high keys. It’s pretty incredible how “high” music can get you without drugs: it even makes getting up 25 times to get just the right speaker placement, toe-in, and seating position worth it. I’m hoping to catch that feeling with these cans and maybe you can help!

Really comprehensive review. I sort of made the same journey myself. I started with a pair of SR-80e's and they were great. Then I splurged and got a Schiit Fulla 2, and the listening experience improved dramatically. I wanted wireless so when the GW100's came out, I bought them. In Bluetooth mode to my Mac, they sounded much better than the SR80e's, even with the Fulla 2. But quite by accident, actually, I discovered the wired mode and was blown away about how different it sounded. It was much better. Hmmm... so I wondered how the wired GW100 would sound with a better headphone amp setup. So I drove up to the Schiitr and spent about 45 minutes doing side by side comparisons between the Magni/Modi the Magni/Modi Multibit and the Vali 2/Modi Multibit. I really could hear the difference between them and so purchased them. It's what I use today. But, then I started thinking about improving the headphones. I was looking at more expensive Grados but then decided to go the mod route and built a set of Grado-style headphones starting with Turbulence drivers and Shipibo components. I love them. I did get the opportunity to compare what I built to the new Grado HF4 headset at the CanJam OC show and to my ears the custom build sounds better.

Have fun with your setup!

Oct 18, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #40,428 of 65,621
... I wanted wireless so when the GW100's came out, I bought them. In Bluetooth mode to my Mac, they sounded much better than the SR80e's, even with the Fulla 2. But quite by accident, actually, I discovered the wired mode and was blown away about how different it sounded. It was much better. Hmmm... so I wondered how the wired GW100 would sound with a better headphone amp setup...
Have fun with your setup!

Yup, I have an iPhone XR (stupid lack of headphone jack) and the dongle/curly long HD-280 Pro setup was very cumbersome. I was getting ready for an Alaskan cruise back in May and wanted something more portable. I figured wireless would be ideal, but not having been impressed with Bose / Beats and AirPods, I started browsing AudioAdvisor (that was a mistake for my checking account!) I've always liked the vintage look of Grados, I'll be damned what everyone else says lol. The few review of them were exactly what I thought -- cheap ass build quality with the plastic and the cushions falling off and weak blue tooth connection if the phone is not in your left pocket (yet I can set my phone on the counter in the kitchen and walk into the living room behind a wall?

Anyway, I got them and was SUPER impressed with how they sounded. The blue tooth connection is obviously compressed, but the drivers and cans make them still sound better than most closed back in the same price range. However, my mistake was trying to use them on a plane or in our ship's room with other people haha. Sound leaks in, sound leaks out. What they WERE amazing for was sitting on the deck, looking out over the Atlantic ocean with a Yuengling and getting lost in music. Or walking the deck at 10:00pm watching the sun set with a glass of rye :)

One of these days I do need to get an amp, thats for sure!!

Oct 18, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #40,430 of 65,621
I like the fact that Grado's are open back and allow sound to come in. I can hear my wife or kids when they are calling me from my office :)

So for the stuff I mentioned, here are the links for Turbulent and Shipibo and Schiit ....

Thanks -- I'll check them out! In the meantime, I've got to prep for an 8:00 Saturday production change, so I'll have to enjoy music with a slightly weaker buzz than planned :frowning2:

Oct 18, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #40,431 of 65,621
Currently breaking in the GH2s with a 16bit/44.1KHz .WAV rip I made back in college (early 2000's?) from my Elac turntable of this song (my copy is much clearer with the exception of a few more pops):

Definitely sounds more balanced and "natural" than with the Senns or GW100. Seems like these cans are more sensitive to the media type than my previous. Even my hifi setup downstairs isn't this picky, sometimes I wonder if I should have purchased a new pair of RS2e's instead, or if I am just really impatient?

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #40,432 of 65,621
New member here, and I’m hoping you all will appreciate my Saturday morning head-to-head setup. Currently listening to Gregory Alan Isakov with the Colorado Symphony (44.1kHz/16 bit) on RS1es and GH4s. I love the differences between the 2 wood-body Grados with this recording; the strings, the male and female vocals, the plucked banjo and strummed acoustic guitar, and the dynamics all provide a lot of texture to pay attention to.

AA127DA8-8335-46C0-B32C-24069A0292EB.jpeg

There’s nothing like the spacious reproduction of a concert hall provided by the RS1es, and they really shine as the strings build up layer upon layer and increase in volume. I think the bass extension is excellent in this context. I do find that the brighter GH4s are spectacular for sharply plucked instruments like banjo or mandolin. There’s nothing harsh about them in spite of the potential for it, yet they seem to capture all the detailed, sharp, twangy bits and hammer-ons better than many other headphones.

Does anyone else feel as if the RS1es ever come across as slightly...maybe muffled isn’t the right word; perhaps gauzy? I haven’t made up my mind.

My RS1es have about 150 hours of listening, the GH4s about 40 hours; I’d be interested to know what burn-in aficionados and experiences members think about how these 2 headphones may evolve over time, and relative to one another.

Oct 19, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #40,433 of 65,621
New member here, and I’m hoping you all will appreciate my Saturday morning head-to-head setup. Currently listening to Gregory Alan Isakov with the Colorado Symphony (44.1kHz/16 bit) on RS1es and GH4s. I love the differences between the 2 wood-body Grados with this recording; the strings, the male and female vocals, the plucked banjo and strummed acoustic guitar, and the dynamics all provide a lot of texture to pay attention to.

There’s nothing like the spacious reproduction of a concert hall provided by the RS1es, and they really shine as the strings build up layer upon layer and increase in volume. I think the bass extension is excellent in this context. I do find that the brighter GH4s are spectacular for sharply plucked instruments like banjo or mandolin. There’s nothing harsh about them in spite of the potential for it, yet they seem to capture all the detailed, sharp, twangy bits and hammer-ons better than many other headphones.

Does anyone else feel as if the RS1es ever come across as slightly...maybe muffled isn’t the right word; perhaps gauzy? I haven’t made up my mind.

My RS1es have about 150 hours of listening, the GH4s about 40 hours; I’d be interested to know what burn-in aficionados and experiences members think about how these 2 headphones may evolve over time, and relative to one another.

VERY nice set-up! Especially the view.:thumbsup:

Shane D

Oct 19, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #40,434 of 65,621
Well, it's been a few days and I must say WOW on the Schiit Vali 2 and the same on the Beautiful ear pads. No pressure on my ears at all and the sound is incredible;. Guitars, drums, vocals and horns all sound amazing. Separation is great and everything sounds so clean. REALLY impressive for an economical amp, that I bought second hand.
I will stop here as I am very bad for falling deeply, passionately in love with audio gear, for a month. And then noticing all the faults and moving on.

I have not even done any comparisons yet. I will start those tomorrow as I received my Y-cables.

V21.jpg

If the Lyr 3 is noticably better than this, WOW!

Shane D

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #40,435 of 65,621
Those GH2's are beautiful. Received my first Grado a few weeks ago.. HF3. Almost returned it after the first hour.. sharp and shouty. Have let them burn for about 20 hours, and wow.. what a difference. Very airy and detailed. Am really liking these now. Some of my orthos sound veiled now, compared to the HF3.

Oct 19, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #40,436 of 65,621
Those GH2's are beautiful. Received my first Grado a few weeks ago.. HF3. Almost returned it after the first hour.. sharp and shouty. Have let them burn for about 20 hours, and wow.. what a difference. Very airy and detailed. Am really liking these now. Some of my orthos sound veiled now, compared to the HF3.

I started out with SR325e's and I found them fun, but bright. After a while the fun won out and they became my favourite. But I went looking for a smoother sound and I really wanted woodies. To me the GH2's are the 325e's perfected and prettier.:gs1000smile:

Shane D

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #40,437 of 65,621

I have nearly impulse-bought the HF3 several times, and was on the hunt for second-hand GH2s as well based only on others' reviews and their physical beauty alone. How many is too many?

Oct 19, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #40,438 of 65,621
Well, it's been a few days and I must say WOW on the Schiit Vali 2 and the same on the Beautiful ear pads. No pressure on my ears at all and the sound is incredible;. Guitars, drums, vocals and horns all sound amazing. Separation is great and everything sounds so clean. REALLY impressive for an economical amp, that I bought second hand.
I will stop here as I am very bad for falling deeply, passionately in love with audio gear, for a month;. And then noticing all the faults and moving on.

I have not even done any comparisons yet. I will start those tomorrow as I received my Y-cables.

If the Lyr 3 is noticably better than this, WOW!

Shane D
What replacements pads are those? I'm thinking about getting the HF3 shortly, but I disliked the L-cush pads that will come with it (see my review in TTVJ's HF3 loaner thread).

Oct 19, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #40,439 of 65,621
What replacements pads are those? I'm thinking about getting the HF3 shortly, but I disliked the L-cush pads that will come with it (see my review in TTVJ's HF3 loaner thread).

They are Beautiful ear pads from Australia. I believe the website is beautifulaudio.biz

SUPER comfortable, but pricey.

The L-cush hurt my ears after two hours.

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back