Grado Fan Club!
Mar 25, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #39,376 of 66,259
@Monolaf BTW, I used to own both the Ps1k and ps1ke. I sold the ps1ke as I preferred the former. A year or two passed and my tastes in headphones shifted a bit. It came to the point that I couldn't stand the high peak in the ps1k so I sold it. There was a void left by it and I was having difficulty filling it with other headphones. I thought once again about the ps1ke, and it fits the bill nicely! Either one (ps1k or ps1ke) are great headphones but I now much prefer the "e" version.

I strongly prefer my PS500 to the PS500e I had previously. This is honestly the best sounding Grado I've heard. In the past, I've owned the PS1000, GH1, PS500e, SR125, and a RS1. I've heard the GS1000e, and GS2000e as well. This particular PS500 beats them all handily. Must have been a good day at the old assembly table. Bottom line - the newer versions aren't ALWAYS the better option.

Mar 25, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #39,378 of 66,259
Agreed. The Grado sound signature as I know has changed since the (e) series was introduced, and although there still a great sounding series, I do prefer the originals that I've had the experience with.

Yes, I haven't heard an "e" series I liked better than the original so far.

Mar 25, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #39,379 of 66,259
New pair of ‘phones have arrived. This time Grado PS500e.

I’ve been swapping between my SR325e’s and the PS500e’s and am pleased that the new ones are a considerable upgrade.

I’ve had the 325e’s for about a month and have been preferring them to HD6xx and K702’s for the sheer communication abilities in the mid-band. Bass is not especially low but tuneful and the highs can sometimes be a bit too explicit but those cans are all about the mid-band clarity and on-stage presence.

The PS500e’s don’t fundamentally change any of that save for a bit of a smoother top end and a little bit more thwack in the lows but again, it’s all about the mid-band. Basically they have quite a lot more mid band detail and clarity when directly compared to the 325’s. Amazing to say so as the 325’s are no slouch but the PS500e’s do that trick of almost being able to reach out and touch the musicians. Imaging ability is a few notches up. Soundstage width seems similar on both which isn’t especially wide compared to something like the AKG702’s.

My love affair with Grado’s continues...

I’ve also just received this Astell & Kern a & Norma SR15 DAP over the weekend which being quite a smooth, slightly warm side and musics performer is a good match with Grado’s

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #39,380 of 66,259
I just received a Cavalli Liquid Carbon V1 today and have not tried it with any of my other phones as yet but the sonic match with new GH3 is better than good, really has some very good synergy. Anyone with any of the Cavalli LC versions should give the Grado a listen. I would love to hear some feedback or other impressions. Amazing combo for approximately $500, check it out.[/QUOTE]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Post:

I have now about 100 hours on the GH3 and as expected it has improved nicely with the play time. I also add to my recommendation regarding the Cavalli LC, it has shown itself to be quite the good match with any of my Grados I have tried with it.

Think about putting together a new playback system consisting of the Grado Heritage GH3 and a second hand LC or Massdrop variant and look what you have in excellent sound quality in the neighborhood of only $500 plus your source. Check these phones out.....

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 6:00 AM Post #39,381 of 66,259
New pair of ‘phones have arrived. This time Grado PS500e.

I’ve been swapping between my SR325e’s and the PS500e’s and am pleased that the new ones are a considerable upgrade.

I’ve had the 325e’s for about a month and have been preferring them to HD6xx and K702’s for the sheer communication abilities in the mid-band. Bass is not especially low but tuneful and the highs can sometimes be a bit too explicit but those cans are all about the mid-band clarity and on-stage presence.

The PS500e’s don’t fundamentally change any of that save for a bit of a smoother top end and a little bit more thwack in the lows but again, it’s all about the mid-band. Basically they have quite a lot more mid band detail and clarity when directly compared to the 325’s. Amazing to say so as the 325’s are no slouch but the PS500e’s do that trick of almost being able to reach out and touch the musicians. Imaging ability is a few notches up. Soundstage width seems similar on both which isn’t especially wide compared to something like the AKG702’s.

My love affair with Grado’s continues...

I’ve also just received this Astell & Kern a & Norma SR15 DAP over the weekend which being quite a smooth, slightly warm side and musics performer is a good match with Grado’s

Congrats on the ps500e!
I think they are often overlooked and underrated in the line up. I've seen used prices in the $300's which is a good deal in my opinion. I used to own an Ak100ii DAP and it also paired nicely with my Grados. It's something that I've always appreciated in these cans, the ability to sound good out of just about anything is a great plus in my book.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #39,382 of 66,259
@Monolaf are you able to buy both? That is a hell of a good price for a Ps1000! My advice would also be to buy both if you can swing it. If you decide you dont like the ps1000 it should be an easy resell and easily recoup the money invested in it.

I have bought both headphones:beers:: the PS1000, 4 years old, as new (for 450$ -> original price/Germany: 2150$) and the GH2, 2 years old, as new (for 450$ -> original price: 847$). I will receive both this week and will report. :) I am very excited.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #39,384 of 66,259
I have bought both headphones:beers:: the PS1000, 4 years old, as new (for 450$ -> original price/Germany: 2150$) and the GH2, 2 years old, as new (for 450$ -> original price: 847$). I will receive both this week and will report. :) I am very excited.

Congrats! I have never heard a PS model so it will be interesting to get your take.

Shane D

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #39,386 of 66,259

Good decision, let us know which you prefer.....I have a stinking suspicion you might keep both....at least for a while. Enjoy

Mar 26, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #39,387 of 66,259
Have any of you tried to get a replacement rod block from Grado? I need one, and Rich Grado either didn't receive my email, or just ignored it.

Do they prefer you send the headphones in for a rod block replacement?

Mar 26, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #39,388 of 66,259
Have any of you tried to get a replacement rod block from Grado? I need one, and Rich Grado either didn't receive my email, or just ignored it.

I believe Rich runs Grado's online store 4OurEars. Did you buy the headphone through them?

If not, perhaps you should contact Grado directly.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #39,389 of 66,259

You need to email Grado Labs through their customer service. If you email them today, they should get back to you by tomorrow morning. If you're in the U.S. they'll ask you for your address so they can send you one, no need to send in your headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back