Grado Fan Club!
Jan 22, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #39,063 of 65,818
Of course, like a clown, I declared that the LCD-2 classics were enough. Till my neck said otherwise, lol. Bought some GS1000e’s don’t get the hate for them. Sound super open. Very happy initially. Used with a Burson Soloist SL MK2, Bit of Aussie power right there. Vinyl front end coming. Project Classic, Ortofon Quintet Red, Project Tube Box S2. Mogami cables. (Cause they’re strong, used in studios, and why spend more?)

Jan 22, 2019 at 5:18 AM Post #39,064 of 65,818
Of course, like a clown, I declared that the LCD-2 classics were enough. Till my neck said otherwise, lol. Bought some GS1000e’s don’t get the hate for them. Sound super open. Very happy initially. Used with a Burson Soloist SL MK2, Bit of Aussie power right there. Vinyl front end coming. Project Classic, Ortofon Quintet Red, Project Tube Box S2. Mogami cables. (Cause they’re strong, used in studios, and why spend more?)
welcome to the club! :beerchug:

Jan 22, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #39,065 of 65,818
Interesting modification. Very creative. So the extra pad surrounds the wood but doesn't block the open end. Presumably the pad dampens some of natural resonances of that wooden cylinder. How would you describe the overall effect on the sound?

Jan 22, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #39,066 of 65,818
Interesting modification. Very creative. So the extra pad surrounds the wood but doesn't block the open end. Presumably the pad dampens some of natural resonances of that wooden cylinder. How would you describe the overall effect on the sound?
Smoother more focused, with a greater sense of imaging, a fuller sound.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #39,069 of 65,818
Picked up the GW100s for that wireless convenience. Pretty happy with the sound, but a little bit smeary on the high end. Good low end (rock, jazz, punk). Very quick. Kind of put you in the front row in a small club.

Stock pads were a bit uncomfortable, so I grabbed some Geekria flats. Better, but not enough in terms of comfort. So on a whim I ordered some Brainwavz round ear pads for large headphones. What I ended up with is a bit of a Frankenpad situation. I have the Geekria pads on, then the Brainwavz on top of them, but backwards, so the vinyl trim wraps around the Geekria pads and fits pretty snuggly. When I take them off the Geekria pads are nestled inside the Brainwavz.

I'm sure I'm committing some major sonic crimes here, but I don't really notice it. Lost some bass and punch, but smoothed the high end out some with better separation/detail. Instead of front row I'm now 20 rows back in a mid-sized venue. Overall I'd say I prefer the sound with just the flats, but only slightly. And that changes from genre to genre and even recording to recording, so it is very close. The comfort is not close. My dual pad approach is super-comfy.

I'm thinking about cutting out the membrane on the Brainwavz to see what that does to the sound, but given that I'm happy with them as-is I'm not sure I want to start cutting.

fullsizeoutput_236c.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2370.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_236b.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_236f.jpeg

Jan 24, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #39,070 of 65,818
Thanks guys! I am breaking them in now on a Mytek Brooklyn+ DAC.

The PS1000e & GS2000e will start to gel at about 50 hours and really hit their stride and show their real stuff after 100 hours, enjoy the journey. They are both quite excellent in my opinion. They also respond well to final tweaking of their position on head and ears. You will probably find a favorite position, experiment.

Congratulations.....

Jan 24, 2019 at 6:55 AM Post #39,072 of 65,818
hey guys im new to the grado brand, i've never tried any pair yet. i have a few questions that i hope you guys could answer and then recommend me a headphone to try.
1. detachable cable is a must.
2. leather/fake leather/swade or fabric pad. I saw that grado likes to use sponge hearpads and thats a no go for me.
3. must be over ear. i'm not a fan of on ear.

hope to hear from you guys :)

Jan 24, 2019 at 8:08 AM Post #39,073 of 65,818
hey guys im new to the grado brand, i've never tried any pair yet. i have a few questions that i hope you guys could answer and then recommend me a headphone to try.
1. detachable cable is a must.
2. leather/fake leather/swade or fabric pad. I saw that grado likes to use sponge hearpads and thats a no go for me.
3. must be over ear. i'm not a fan of on ear.

hope to hear from you guys :)

1. Grado has no phones with detachable cables
2. All Grado pads are sponge
3. Only the upper tier cans are over ear

Jan 24, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #39,074 of 65,818
1. Grado has no phones with detachable cables
2. All Grado pads are sponge
3. Only the upper tier cans are over ear
thats very disappointing :frowning2:
but thank you for your answer.

Jan 24, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #39,075 of 65,818
You can have whatever model you choose to be re-cabled or DIY if this is a must.
Also, Grado L cushions (on ear) are very comfortable after adjusting the headband clamping force and letting the cushions wear in, and
if you choose a model with G cushions (over ear) then even better for you. Don't deny yourself the Grado sound experience due to minor issue that can be easily addressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back