Grado Fan Club!
Jul 1, 2018 at 3:05 AM Post #38,281 of 65,607

HD414 Comfort. L Cush Sound.

Nope nope nope... I've got some fake L cush and they muffle the sound. Genuine L cush use 3 densities of foam, and have excellent detail, fake use a single density and bring up the bass making everything sound a bit muddy.

The only positive about those fake pads is indeed the comfort.

Jul 1, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #38,282 of 65,607
Hi, just join the bandwagon from upgrading my Koss kcs75 to Grado 125e.

So far I've only cut a hole in the s pad came with the earphones but I found there is something off on this earphones when I'm listening to my favorite metal song.

For 1, it felt much less open compare to kcs75, I think it is due to the space between the driver and you ears are confined where as in kcs75 case there will be air circulation between the driver and you ear.

2ndly, I think the vocal representation also a bit unnatural and volume are little too high in a mix. Maybe because the high are tamed too much and the vocal sometimes sound just bloating over the electronic guitar cut.

Thirdly, might just been my imagination but I hear a faint echo off the cup and that slightly ruin the soundstage and make the vocal unrealistic in the same time.

The earphone is new so do you guy recommend me to doing some modification to fix that or wait for the driver and foam to burn in 1st?

Jul 1, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #38,284 of 65,607
I'd recommend buying Grado L cushions and letting them sufficiently burn in for at least 50hrs+ before drawing any conclusions.

Ok, the fact that my Grado sound seem to be inconsistent for past 2 days make me realize maybe it do need to burn in for sometime before it shines it's magic.

But right now I felt the echo of bass might be the reason that the mid sound a little bit unnatural and by making mid bloating it kind of affect the high and make the guitar riff seem dead as well. It is worth to mention that this earphone is very good in bring out the details and dynamic for pop song which the instruments are less complex and less bass involved. If I didn't know better this earphone might make me believe pop songs are generally far superior genre XD.

I'm very tempting to do the driver venting mod since I found it greatly enhances the sound quality of my previous pair of headphone but I guess just be safe I will wait for 2-3 weeks and the L and G cushion I ordered to arrive 1st.

What do you think about the driver venting mod generally?

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #38,285 of 65,607
Ok, the fact that my Grado sound seem to be inconsistent for past 2 days make me realize maybe it do need to burn in for sometime before it shines it's magic.

But right now I felt the echo of bass might be the reason that the mid sound a little bit unnatural and by making mid bloating it kind of affect the high and make the guitar riff seem dead as well. It is worth to mention that this earphone is very good in bring out the details and dynamic for pop song which the instruments are less complex and less bass involved. If I didn't know better this earphone might make me believe pop songs are generally far superior genre XD.

I'm very tempting to do the driver venting mod since I found it greatly enhances the sound quality of my previous pair of headphone but I guess just be safe I will wait for 2-3 weeks and the L and G cushion I ordered to arrive 1st.

The bass will definitely tighten up with burn in.
I'm not one to do any sound mods to my headphones, I'm fine with the way Grado does their tuning, so I really have no opinion on this subject. However, there are many threads about members who do mods to their Grades, as well as build their own custom headphones similar looking to Grado.

@DavidA Where are you?
Show off some of your custom builds. :)

Jul 1, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #38,287 of 65,607

I would let them burn in a bit. My SR325e's(G-Cush) are now my best sounding headphones after 50+ hours.

Jul 1, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #38,289 of 65,607
Hi,
can anyone point me to a good tube amp for my GS1000e ?

Considering a Schiit Mjolnir 2... any alternatives in that price range (or below :wink: ) ?

Thanks for your input.

d.

Maple tree audio ear+ hd
It's a magic with any Grado i tried. What an amp.. so happy i found it.
Highly recommend to any grado lover.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #38,290 of 65,607
The bass will definitely tighten up with burn in.
I'm not one to do any sound mods to my headphones, I'm fine with the way Grado does their tuning, so I really have no opinion on this subject. However, there are many threads about members who do mods to their Grades, as well as build their own custom headphones similar looking to Grado.

@DavidA Where are you?
Show off some of your custom builds. :)
Blue Hawaii_R1-b.jpg cosmo-1.jpg
EL8-Nhoord-V2-2.jpg Grado-Ypsilon-Nhoord-1.jpg
Hope this is what you are looking for

Jul 2, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #38,293 of 65,607
Has anybody listened to the album Basie Big Band thru their Grado RS1i’s?

Jul 2, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #38,295 of 65,607
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back