Grado Fan Club!
Jun 25, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #38,251 of 65,611
So I noticed the PS1 headphones on Grado’s limited edition page and couldn’t help but notice some design similarities with the HP1000 series. Anyone have any thoughts on these/heard both?

i haven't heard it but from reading, it supposed to be the bassiest grado

Hi. How do I what kind of this Rs1 model I bought? Is it the vintage model? The seller didn't know the age either.

that's a classic rs1, around early 2000s, the last model with button before they introduced the button-less rs1 similar like allesandro's style. so not vintage 90s rs1

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/classifying-versions-of-the-rs1-your-guide-work-in-progress.420092/

Come on, the 325 genuinely looks outdated as hell. Sources: I’ve old 6 versions of it (not counting the MS2e), I should know...

it looks classic, it's timeless design. i prefer that classic looks, some headphones you could tell what era they're build from, just like cars, porsche 911 looks classic. lamborghini countach looks super cool but outdated for sure, like pretty much all 90s cars, you could tell it's from 90s. same thing with clothing, audio, pretty much products design

Jun 25, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #38,252 of 65,611
Come on, the 325 genuinely looks outdated as hell. Sources: I’ve old 6 versions of it (not counting the MS2e), I should know...

As outdated as Beyerdynamics and AKG.

Jun 25, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #38,254 of 65,611
Hi guys, just take a look what I found for my beloved grado coollection...
Yes... kind of old, i would say rare RS1 Grado.
Yes, headstrip is broun and very soft nice leather, metal tips, and yea.. pink driver/mesh! But moste important it's sound it so nice and musical and smooth.. I recently sale RSi version (not my sound)... But this RS1 (old) is really other story, Really, its just another headphones. Obverall for all grados i had/have the colsest is HP1000, measn preatty natural, not really collored, vut very musical and plasant. Whicj could be, coneidering more or less same time of their developmnet (20 years old.. unbalaivable), This RS1 is just more soft.. If you ever have chance to find one, go for it! Just so lovelly sound. Love it.

20180625_190654.jpg

20180625_192202.jpg

20180625_190708.jpg

20180625_190804.jpg

20180625_191124.jpg

Attachments

• 20180625_190858.jpg
    20180625_190858.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Jun 25, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #38,256 of 65,611
Yes, headstrip is broun and very soft nice leather, metal tips, and yea.. pink driver/mesh! But moste important it's sound it so nice and musical and smooth.. I recently sale RSi version (not my sound)... But this RS1 (old) is really other story, Really, its just another headphones. Obverall for all grados i had/have the colsest is HP1000, measn preatty natural, not really collored, vut very musical and plasant. Whicj could be, coneidering more or less same time of their developmnet (20 years old.. unbalaivable), This RS1 is just more soft.. If you ever have chance to find one, go for it! Just so lovelly sound. Love it.

Just drop dead gorgeous :)

I totally agree with you, I went from an RS1i to a semi -vintage RS1 and it is a better sounding headphone to me also....love the top end of this headphone, not to mention that the smaller cables are so much more comfy.
Great example of it it "ain't broke, don't fix it"

Jun 25, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #38,257 of 65,611

9c7e8dcc415d33b4db9b2476da4aab70-2.gif

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #38,258 of 65,611

Photo on 2018-06-25 at 10.55 PM.jpg

Well Odessamarin, you & I are part of an exclusive club. Mine have the black headband. (Photo quality is poor due to being taken w/ MacBook Pro laptop camera).
:beerchug:

Jun 25, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #38,259 of 65,611

I forgot to mention, later on down the line you should also try the TTVJ flat pads on these pink driver Rs1's.

Jun 27, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #38,260 of 65,611
I just replaced my L cushions on my RS1i.
I purchased the RS1i somewhere in late '12 or early '13.

Done good then. Some folks say two years and they are replacing them. I was surprised mine did four years. They had only gone a bit in the middle. I have some very thin speaker cloth over the drivers, and they were not holding it in place any more.

Actually really pleased with these pads. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01B2H4FVY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I find them indistinguishable from genuine Grado pads. Even they look slightly different in the store page images to Grado ones. Apart from the fact my Grado ones have faded a bit, and flattened a fraction. The new copied ones are identical in every way. Took me by surprise.

Jun 28, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #38,261 of 65,611
Some of you may recall my recent ramblings regarding the 325e since I have recently jumped back upon the Grado Train. Still can't rate them highly enough :)

But I have recently purchased another Grado that I've always wanted to hear. Initial impressions were hmmm... Yes they have a much bigger soundstage, but they just don't have the same level of detail as the 325. As time has gone on (a week now) I can't get them off my head. The sound is huge warm and balanced. Not micro detailed like the 325 or an HD800 - but what you get is a natural sound. Nothing stands out. Fabulous for orchestral music. Really not what I was expecting... Imaging is centered and breathes out when needed unlike the HD800 which only gives you a huge picture whether you want it or not. Don't get me wrong detail is there, its just not highlighted. They do seem ever so slightly rolled off at the top end. But this is no bad thing. I prefer the 325e to be shaved right at the top.

They have to be the most comfortable hp's I've ever worn as well. So thats me happy for a while; these and my 325e (325e when I want a more sharper punchier sound for the likes of jazz. )

DSC_3891.jpg

Jun 28, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #38,262 of 65,611
Some of you may recall my recent ramblings regarding the 325e since I have recently jumped back upon the Grado Train. Still can't rate them highly enough :)

But I have recently purchased another Grado that I've always wanted to hear. Initial impressions were hmmm... Yes they have a much bigger soundstage, but they just don't have the same level of detail as the 325. As time has gone on (a week now) I can't get them off my head. The sound is huge warm and balanced. Not micro detailed like the 325 or an HD800 - but what you get is a natural sound. Nothing stands out. Fabulous for orchestral music. Really not what I was expecting... Imaging is centered and breathes out when needed unlike the HD800 which only gives you a huge picture whether you want it or not. Don't get me wrong detail is there, its just not highlighted. They do seem ever so slightly rolled off at the top end. But this is no bad thing. I prefer the 325e to be shaved right at the top.

They have to be the most comfortable hp's I've ever worn as well. So thats me happy for a while; these and my 325e (325e when I want a more sharper punchier sound for the likes of jazz. )

Totally agree. I call them my musical HD800. They have the detail retrieval of the HD800 without sounding clinical. I'd planned to sell mine when I got the LAOC anniversary edition, but I'm having a hard time parting with them. Once they're broken in and bottom end fills out and loses that rubber-band sound it initially had, I feel like I'm betraying all the time I put into them, and I'd end up regretting it.

Jun 28, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #38,263 of 65,611
Would you say Grados are really revealing? I generally don't notice much difference between 16/44 and higher rez FLAC's. But I got some SACD files and converted them to 24/88 and there is a distinct increase in quality compared to my CD rips. Now the thing is, this is very obvious with my SR325e's and not so much with my other headphones.

Jun 28, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #38,264 of 65,611
"Totally agree. I call them my musical HD800. They have the detail retrieval of the HD800 without sounding clinical."

And they don't have any unnecessary peaks like the HD800 :) Very natural inviting sound. Much softer than any other Grado that I've heard. Defo keepers for me. :gs1000smile:

Jun 28, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #38,265 of 65,611
Would you say Grados are really revealing? I generally don't notice much difference between 16/44 and higher rez FLAC's. But I got some SACD files and converted them to 24/88 and there is a distinct increase in quality compared to my CD rips. Now the thing is, this is very obvious with my SR325e's and not so much with my other headphones.

I would say they are very revealing. All my Grados reveal any imperfections in recording and source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back