Grado Fan Club!
Mar 1, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #37,637 of 65,633
That's crazy that magenta line has a nice 2 dB bass boost and lessens that 3k Peak, but introduces an even bigger 10k peak :/

So I dig the 2k reduaction and bass improvements! As those other traces are waaaay to bass humpy, but that 10k Peak is icky! ANY pad mods that cut that down at all :/

Mar 1, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #37,638 of 65,633
Ah sorry, it´s: Magenta -Original L-Pad Tapemod.
My bad. I fix it.

I'm a bit confused with the above if the Magenta -original L-pad (tape mod) so which is the bulk G-pad? see highlighted below

From top to bottom:
Blue -Bulk L-pad (Tapemod)
Green -Bulk L-pad
Red -Bulk S-cushion
Orange -Original S-cushion
Red -Bulk G-pad (magenta?)
Light blue -Original L-Pad Tapemod.

PS: this is really a great comparison and its appreciated

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #37,640 of 65,633
Omg this got confusing really fast :scream:
I´m a bit ill today, so my brain is not working properly. So i edited it once again. Thanks for pointing this out.
:ok_hand: now its perfect.

Hard to believe the original L-pad and bulk G-pads reduce the bass so much relative to the bulk L-pads and S-pads

Mar 1, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #37,641 of 65,633
:ok_hand: now its perfect.

Hard to believe the original L-pad and bulk G-pads reduce the bass so much relative to the bulk L-pads and S-pads
I would not saying that original reduces bass, but more like that bulks enchances them. They are made from more denser material and as such they keep more bass inside. Ond that could be a good thing on many original Grado models, since some of them are a bit weak from bottom end.
As said, those SR325is are modded, and have more bass in first place, so i prefer original L-pads when tapemodded.

Mar 1, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #37,642 of 65,633
I would not saying that original reduces bass, but more like that bulks enchances them. They are made from more denser material and as such they keep more bass inside. Ond that could be a good thing on many original Grado models, since some of them are a bit weak from bottom end.
As said, those SR325is are modded, and have more bass in first place, so i prefer original L-pads when tapemodded.
I think I need to keep in mind that the graphs are unique to your 325 and they may or may not translate over to other models. The reason I say this is to me the bulk G-pads have more bass than bulk L-pads on my Nhoord Red V2, Ypsilon R1 and RS2e (modded), maybe due to the better seal I get with the G-pads over the L-pads.

Mar 1, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #37,643 of 65,633
Neato the Tape mod makes a pretty noticeable differance on my RS-1 Button, though the L Crush pads I'm using are also very worn out... either way with my Vali 1 I'm diggin it!

Listening to some jazz and I have to say the highs aren't like SUPER piercing... the bass isn't over powering at all and the mids are really something special!

I have to say I'm diggin the sound of the Electrical Tape Modded L Crush Pads!

Now here's a fun experiment... how does different kinds/densities of tape change the sound of the mod... as I have some paper scotch tape, there's the clear plastic scoth tape and I'm using the thicker almost rubbery electrical tape

Ok curse you guys!!!!! I have no business keeping these but hot diggity the TapeMod really helps balance things out >.> I'm diggin em out of my Vali and my modded SET

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #37,644 of 65,633
When referring to "bulk" or "generic" pads from various online sources, there are several different manufacturers, correct?

If that's the case, it would follow that there would be differences between the various generics too.

Mar 2, 2018 at 4:57 AM Post #37,645 of 65,633
When referring to "bulk" or "generic" pads from various online sources, there are several different manufacturers, correct?

If that's the case, it would follow that there would be differences between the various generics too.
Yes, there are differences between generic pads: more so with the G and L from what I've seen so far. With the G-pads is usually the depth of the bowl, distance from the face of the driver to the bottom of the pads, density of the foam and uniformness of the cut/shape. With the L-pads its usually the slope of the foam from the driver face to the edge of the pads and the density of the foam and sometimes the over all diameter.

Mar 2, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #37,646 of 65,633
I think I need to keep in mind that the graphs are unique to your 325 and they may or may not translate over to other models. The reason I say this is to me the bulk G-pads have more bass than bulk L-pads on my Nhoord Red V2, Ypsilon R1 and RS2e (modded), maybe due to the better seal I get with the G-pads over the L-pads.

As i stated in my post, i did same test allso with the original Grado SR60, wich is pretty far from 325is and had similar results. So im pretty sure, that its pretty much in scale. Grados are after all a bit different breed of same beast.

Mar 2, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #37,648 of 65,633
These are those bulk pads that i use. I have ordered those several times, from different seller from around 3-5€/pair and they are allways the same.
Pads.jpg

Mar 2, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #37,649 of 65,633
These are those bulk pads that i use. I have ordered those several times, from different seller from around 3-5€/pair and they are allways the same.
Been having some fun with the pads myself on the SR60e. Right now, the setup I find more suitable for my tastes and comfort is the unmodded reversed L-pads. I am waiting for a second pair of aftermarket (chi) Ls to do the tape mod, so I'm able to compare them on the fly with the unmodded ones.
As for the G-pads, I am not getting a very comfy fit, they seem to rest weirdly on my glasses... :frowning2:

Mar 2, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #37,650 of 65,633

could you measure few samples of those generic L-cush that you have? it would be nice to take a look how much different each generic L-cush from each vendor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back