Grado Fan Club!
Jan 7, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #37,171 of 65,611
The PS500 seems to perform overall equally, but with different strengths and weaknesses, with the G Cush as compared to the L bowls.

The GH1, on the other hand, actually improves in overall sound in moving to the G Cush from its stock L bowls.

How about the GH2? Does anyone know whether it improves, stays the same, or degrades (as about all other L bowl Grados do) when fitted with the G Cush?

Thanks!

I personally prefer the G-Cush all of the way around on the GH2. Once in a while I'll put the L-Cush on to mix it up but quickly find myself switching back. The staging and imaging with them are just too good.

Jan 7, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #37,172 of 65,611
I was browsing the F/S forums and noticed there were 2 ads that show 'lock' icons not to them. When I went to view these ads, it says;
(You have isssuficient privileges to reply here.) One of the ads is for the GH2 from @Uri Cohen. I don't believe I'm being blocked by you, am I? I've recently quoted one of your posts with a reply from you as well without issue. Is it just me that see the lock on this ad?Thanks

EDIT: Never mind, both ads are sold, which is why they're locked, I just never noticed this before. Maybe something new.

Yep I don't block no one. Once an item is sold, the sales thread get locked by the user (me).

Heads up, if anyone wants a GS2000e, I might have one for sale soon for a killer price. Cheaper than a new GS1000e!

Jan 7, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #37,173 of 65,611

Jan 7, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #37,174 of 65,611
Hello all

Might be a weird question but... Do the Grados that come with G-pads allow the cup to tilt more than the Grados that come with other pads?

The reason I'm asking is because, I recently bought a pair of G-pads to try with my SR60e, but I can't get a good fit. The cups can't tilt enough and that makes for uneven pressure around my ears, too much above it and not nearly enough below. A quick look shows that the gimbals come in contact with the G-pads and blocks the cups from tilting. It seems like it could be fixed by moving the gimbal holes further out on the cup.

It's difficult to tell the small differences between each Grado from pictures, so I figured it'd be easier to ask.

Besides that, I'm really enjoying the SR60e. I've put L-pads on them with some thin cloth in front of the drivers and a DT770 headband cover over the (way too thin) headband. Really good for Jazz, Piano, Blues, older Prog-Rock, and some Metal. Basically all I listen to.

Jan 7, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #37,175 of 65,611
Hello all

Might be a weird question but... Do the Grados that come with G-pads allow the cup to tilt more than the Grados that come with other pads?

The reason I'm asking is because, I recently bought a pair of G-pads to try with my SR60e, but I can't get a good fit. The cups can't tilt enough and that makes for uneven pressure around my ears, too much above it and not nearly enough below. A quick look shows that the gimbals come in contact with the G-pads and blocks the cups from tilting. It seems like it could be fixed by moving the gimbal holes further out on the cup.

It's difficult to tell the small differences between each Grado from pictures, so I figured it'd be easier to ask.

Besides that, I'm really enjoying the SR60e. I've put L-pads on them with some thin cloth in front of the drivers and a DT770 headband cover over the (way too thin) headband. Really good for Jazz, Piano, Blues, older Prog-Rock, and some Metal. Basically all I listen to.

by tilting do you mean in vertical way? if it does, then no.there is very minimal almost non existence vertical movement, at least in ps1000e, i think it's pretty much the same in statement series. the uneven pressure actually also happen sometimes when i'm wearing ps1000e although it's kinda hard to tell because of the weight of the headphone but sometimes after a while i could feel the pressure at the top part of the pads, i just did simple re-adjustment to get better fit, just be patience and keep doing it eventually i'll get the sweet spot

Jan 7, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #37,176 of 65,611
Hello all

They're on the same gimbal system with the same ergonomics all of the way up. The only time I've had that issue is when I was using the Earzonk pads for a little bit because they're thicker in the area that it attaches to the cup.

Jan 7, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #37,178 of 65,611
Hello all

I agree that the fit with G-pads on some don't fit was well as it does on others and its usually due to the bend in the metal headband at the point that it enters the rod block:
Bend at rod block.jpg
Its usually the bend is not enough to get the rod block/gimbals at a sufficient angle, you can bend the metal band but be very careful not to over do it since it will snap if over bent. The bend shown is what I've found to be a good starting point and seems to provide a good/great fit.

Jan 7, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #37,180 of 65,611
I believe he is just talking about the limited vertical movement using the G cushions due to the backs of them hitting the rodblocks and putting slight pressure on your temples.
Could be but I think he's having the same issue that I and a few of my friends had and its not only with the G-pad. If you hold the cups apart the width of your head you will notice that if the bend at the rod block is not sufficient then the gimbals don't have enough rotational movement to keep the top portion of the ear pad from hitting the gimbal. This is a picture of 2 different metal bands and you can see the very slight differences in the bend:
Bend at rod block-comparison.jpg
The bend on the black headband is just a little less than the brown one and its the difference between a good fit (even pressure on the top and bottom) to a not so good fit (too much pressure on the top) for me and a few of my friends. Its something we started to notice with changing the leather headband and why some fit better than others.

Jan 8, 2018 at 6:13 AM Post #37,181 of 65,611
Thanks for all the replies, guys.

Could be but I think he's having the same issue that I and a few of my friends had and its not only with the G-pad. If you hold the cups apart the width of your head you will notice that if the bend at the rod block is not sufficient then the gimbals don't have enough rotational movement to keep the top portion of the ear pad from hitting the gimbal. This is a picture of 2 different metal bands and you can see the very slight differences in the bend:
---
The bend on the black headband is just a little less than the brown one and its the difference between a good fit (even pressure on the top and bottom) to a not so good fit (too much pressure on the top) for me and a few of my friends. Its something we started to notice with changing the leather headband and why some fit better than others.

Looks promising. I'll try this when I get back from work.

EDIT:

I decided to do something else. Instead of bending the headband, I bent the metal rod of the gimbal. Just a slight bit did the trick and everything fits comfortably now.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #37,182 of 65,611
The Grado PS2000e, GS2000e, GS1000i, PS1000: A Tale Of Balanced and Single Ended

Thank you for this review. I've been wondering about mod'ing my GS2000e headphones for balanced operation, probably sending them to Moon Audio.

In terms of a balanced amp, consider the Jotunheim. I have it, and it's a very nice amp (also own the Ragnarok). If you decide you don't like theJot after 15 days, you can trade-up to the Mjolner without losing money (except for shipping).

Jan 8, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #37,184 of 65,611
@headfry , if you live in the US then just ask Grado for a new gimbal. I broke one of the pins on the gimbal for my RS2e when they fell on the floor and sent them a request to purchase a replacement but they just sent one free of charge. You can also go with these if you want a little nicer one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Grado-Alum...218115?hash=item4b16bfd603:g:bLkAAOSwZQRYfRYS

Same here. Grado sent me a new gimbal. Crisis over.

I agree with this , the quality of the 325e is superb , i have recently been listening to them and it's the overall tonal presence of the aluminum that flavours them so much.
I have been listening to the RS2e solid for the past few months so when i heard the 325e this week i really noticed the change in sound.
The first time i heard the 325e was when i upgraded from my 80e and i never noticed the metallic sound as much as i have done recently , maybe i have adapted and grown very fond of the woodies.
So quality wise my 325e can hang with my RS2e no problem, but the difference wood or aluminum makes towards the overall sound is huge.

I only demo-ed a pair of 325e for maybe only three minutes. I was sure I could hear the clout and tonality that the aluminium seemed to give them. (Compared to my 225e anyway.) However the 325e seemed not to be run-in. They were very toppy airy and thin lower down the frequency register. I could still hear what they were going to about though. Meaning if it was a case of needing to be run-in. Or it just might have been the pioneer DAP they were on in the store. I would love to hear the 325e for real on a good source though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back