Grado Fan Club!
Dec 30, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #37,126 of 65,622
justifying price would be never ending conversation. it's always comes down to the buyer if it's worth or not, eventually they're going to dictate the value. that's how free market works

for the cost itself, i could only speculate but since we knew grado only manufactured the plastic parts. the wood,metal,drivers,cable, they have their own suppliers. so there is a chance price fixing might happen and the headphones assembled by hand, and grado have pretty small employee( i assume they're not contractor), i'm guessing mass produce won't be ideal. that two factors alone could add cost pretty significant. also the only parts they could share to their headphones pretty much just the plastic parts, if they don't know how well their products going to sell, big orders to their suppliers would be pretty much gambling, higher cost seems more likely. and from distribution, there is always dealer cut... that's another cost. add their profit margin. that's the price people have to pay.

i really think their problem is their low end models and their sound signature, the prestige series really sound great at much affordable price. and most of the time the higher models just incremental improvement, sometimes little bit different tuning but they still sharing those sound signature nonetheless. it really give impression their higher models are overprice, especially with those packaging. i'm not gonna lie i think ps1000e at their msrp is overprice but in that price point, i prefer ps1000e sound to other headphones

Dec 30, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #37,128 of 65,622
It's also worth saying that "price" and "value" aren't necessarily the same. I could agree that product X is justified to cost $3000 but still not buy it even if I had the money.

Dec 31, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #37,129 of 65,622
It's also worth saying that "price" and "value" aren't necessarily the same. I could agree that product X is justified to cost $3000 but still not buy it even if I had the money.
yes, that's why i said value.buyer could only determine price they want to pay hence the value part. no matter how hard we insist the price for a product if the seller doesn't want to sell in that price for whatever reason, then it's not going to happen

Dec 31, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #37,130 of 65,622
I think since it's heavily related to music, which is an art form, these headphone prices are somewhat a reflection of the artistic value they bring. And since art is subjective, and sentimental/personal, I think it is human emotion influencing behaviour justifying these illogical expenses. This is a hobby after all, and I'm a fan. :) You can't price fun IMO.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #37,132 of 65,622
Happy holidays! :) May yours as well.

Happy New Year to all of you and your families and friends.

Wishing happiness and health for 2018.

And may your headphone dreams come true... :)

Jan 1, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #37,137 of 65,622
Happy New Year to all of you "Gradoheads" :)

Jan 1, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #37,139 of 65,622
IMG_3399[1].JPG
Hi Guys,

I just got my first pair of Grados. As I just built my first HP Set-Up. I got a pair of SR325e's. I didn't even plan on getting them. I wanted to get a pair of "Starter" Grados. As a friend uses some SR125e's at work with his Samsung phone. So I tried some 125's at a local shop. I liked them paired with my iTouch 5th gen, ALAC. Since my budget was $200i'sh tops. I also tried the 225e. That was a definite improvement. So I told the sales guy "I'll take these". Then he says to try out the 325's based on what he asked me about. He asked what was I looking for a Grado to do for me. What my personal Sound Sig is. What I listen for in my music. What was in current rotation on my itouch and pc. And what's my equipment and how do I use it, etc. So, I tried them...WOW... they were exactly as he said they would be. I listened to my personal reference tracks. Then I sat there thinking about how the next few weeks are gonna be filled with lots of Ramen and Mac-n-Cheese. I PTT on them! Budget BE DAMNED!!

So now I would like to change the cables out. As they are Power Tool thick and Heavy. Where can I get high quality SMC and Female 2.5mm connectors. As I don't know which type will connected the the cable out on the phones themselves. I'll need to make a few sets. One for my iTouch. The other for my amp, then for my preamp. 3.5mm, 1/4" and Balanced. Any recs for connector and cable/wire brands will be appreciated.

Shout Out to Bill at Tune Hi-Fi here in Seattle.

My HP Set-Up(for now)

MacBook Pro w/ 3.5mm Digi Out
DAC: Schiit BIFROST
Amp: Schiit Valhalla 2
Phones: Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Senn HD6XX, and my Grados!

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #37,140 of 65,622
Hi Guys,

I just got my first pair of Grados. As I just built my first HP Set-Up. I got a pair of SR325e's. I didn't even plan on getting them. I wanted to get a pair of "Starter" Grados. As a friend uses some SR125e's at work with his Samsung phone. So I tried some 125's at a local shop. I liked them paired with my iTouch 5th gen, ALAC. Since my budget was $200i'sh tops. I also tried the 225e. That was a definite improvement. So I told the sales guy "I'll take these". Then he says to try out the 325's based on what he asked me about. He asked what was I looking for a Grado to do for me. What my personal Sound Sig is. What I listen for in my music. What was in current rotation on my itouch and pc. And what's my equipment and how do I use it, etc. So, I tried them...WOW... they were exactly as he said they would be. I listened to my personal reference tracks. Then I sat there thinking about how the next few weeks are gonna be filled with lots of Ramen and Mac-n-Cheese. I PTT on them! Budget BE DAMNED!!

So now I would like to change the cables out. As they are Power Tool thick and Heavy. Where can I get high quality SMC and Female 2.5mm connectors. As I don't know which type will connected the the cable out on the phones themselves. I'll need to make a few sets. One for my iTouch. The other for my amp, then for my preamp. 3.5mm, 1/4" and Balanced. Any recs for connector and cable/wire brands will be appreciated.

Shout Out to Bill at Tune Hi-Fi here in Seattle.

My HP Set-Up(for now)

MacBook Pro w/ 3.5mm Digi Out
DAC: Schiit BIFROST
Amp: Schiit Valhalla 2
Phones: Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Senn HD6XX, and my Grados!

I'm glad that you like them. I recently picked up a pair of SR325e for my girlfriend for Christmas and I've found that they don't perform much lower than the RS1, PS500, or GH2, seems more like a difference in tonality rather than quality. How do you like them through the Valhalla?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back