Grado Fan Club!
Apr 17, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #35,326 of 65,632
you prefer SR60i to GS1000i? Notwithstanding the un-eq'd tonal balances - the GS1000i
is to my ears a summit-fi headphone, the SR60i is one if the best budget headphones -
to me, the GS is one of the best hp's available (assuming a high quality source, e.g. Mojo or equiv.).

I recommend listening for yourself, opinions can vary greatly.

I'm another that didn't care for the GS1ki, a modded sr225e has better a more balanced FR, better bass and cleaner highs to me.  Will a modded GS1ki sound better? who knows since I haven't seen anyone mod one yet.

Apr 17, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #35,327 of 65,632
i see.

well good luck then! my only advice is don't over do it.coming from that era when everyone modded their low end grado. most of the time they ruin the grado sound.keep it simple probably the best idea

here is some timber sample:
http://www.bellforestproducts.com/exotic-wood/
http://www.audiophile-id.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2395.0;attach=2593;image

Yea over doing it is exactly what I'm afraid of, that's why I'm keeping it real simple for now. Thanks for the wood samples, seems cool.

Apr 17, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #35,328 of 65,632
got a new toy, it isn't a grado, but i just couldn't resist ! a harman kardon 330c 
it's a beaut !

Apr 17, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #35,329 of 65,632
it looks cool! those green lights remind me of mcintosh :D

Apr 17, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #35,330 of 65,632
it is a beauty, i may like it better than the marantz

Apr 17, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #35,332 of 65,632
Someone at spirit labs told me and another guy that Grado labs uses the exact same driver for their entire lineup of E series including heritage series and the only difference is their vented holes they made in each one and then also obviously the housings and wood etc is different. Could this be true?

They have a ton of experience taking apart and modding Grado drivers so they'd have a good understanding but idk.. thoughts?

Apr 17, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #35,333 of 65,632
Grado labs uses the exact same driver for their entire lineup of E series including heritage series

The RS1e, GS1000e, and PS1000e use "red" 50mm drivers. The rest use "red" 44mm drivers.

The GS2000e uses a unique "purple" 50mm driver because making the shell half-maple half-mahogany should've made it brighter than the GS1000e, which is all-mahogany. It didn't; the GS2000e is somehow less U-shaped. Grado has said on multiple occasions that the GS2000e driver was a "new" design.

No one has ever bothered to blind test SR60e vs SR125e with multiple units to deal with variance, as those two models look completely identical. (The SR225e has a metal grill.) So who knows?

Apr 17, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #35,334 of 65,632
The RS1e, GS1000e, and PS1000e use "red" 50mm drivers. The rest use "red" 44mm drivers.

The GS2000e uses a unique "purple" 50mm driver because making the shell half-maple half-mahogany should've made it brighter than the GS1000e, which is all-mahogany. It didn't; the GS2000e is somehow less U-shaped. Grado has said on multiple occasions that the GS2000e driver was a "new" design.

No one has ever bothered to blind test SR60e vs SR125e with multiple units to deal with variance, as those two models look completely identical. (The SR225e has a metal grill.) So who knows?

I'm guessing he meant besides the GS2000.. he's probably meaning all the red 44mm are the same and all the red 50mm are the same. Just the shells and vented holes are different.

Apr 17, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #35,335 of 65,632
Ah this is a good angled shot. Looks super cool and I see some McIntosh vibes too.

had to get the shot at that angle because of the glare, i haven't put up curtains in "my room" yet

Apr 17, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #35,336 of 65,632
I'm guessing he meant besides the GS2000.. he's probably meaning all the red 44mm are the same and all the red 50mm are the same. Just the shells and vented holes are different.

Doesn't seem like a stretch to believe they're all the same.

Apr 17, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #35,337 of 65,632
Someone at spirit labs told me and another guy that Grado labs uses the exact same driver for their entire lineup of E series including heritage series and the only difference is their vented holes they made in each one and then also obviously the housings and wood etc is different. Could this be true?

They have a ton of experience taking apart and modding Grado drivers so they'd have a good understanding but idk.. thoughts?

this has been the rumors since the grado non i version. and listening to sr60,80,sr325i,rs1 button,gs1000i and some people in my local forum discussing grado and comparing their mods. no matter how close you clone the low end grado to the higher grado version.you still couldn't get that tuning. no matter how many vented hole you did,blue tack,damping,type of wood,cable,pad,even just clone it as it is still you couldn't get the similar sound. easiest case 325i gold and gs1000i. it just sound different

so maybe for certain models or generation.it's possible they did that. but if you listen to it,it's sound different. in the non i version.if you read on their website.the differences between sr60 and sr80 literary is bowl pad and comfy pad. you swap it.still both headphones not sound exactly the same. those sr325i gold version that has been modified,when you listen to it.it still resemblance the sr325i gold sound. not even close to rs1 or any type of grado i have heard

it was exciting experiment though. but with all those things, i came up with the conclusion. the drivers may not exactly the same. that's why i told it might worth to modded your low end grado but still at the end of the day.those drivers has limitation.no matter how hard you try,how close you clone that thing it won't give you the exact same sound of the higher version you try to clone

i guess that's the reason why not so many people discussing their grado mod like they used to.the myth has lost.when you think you could get the same performance of higher end grado with a lot less money just trying modify your low end grado. you couldn't. as sad as it is, the only thing close to higher end grado performance probably using third party drivers.not the low end grado's drivers

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #35,338 of 65,632
  it is a beauty, i may like it better than the marantz

''...better than the ''Marantz'', Ha! Ha!, you almost had me going there for a second!!!

Seriously though, I've never heard a vintage HK, but it must sound awesome because Marantz from the 70's sound great.

I have a 2220B, a 2226B, and a 2235B, and sound quality wise, the 2220B is the best sounding of the three.

When you think about it, buying a good vintage reciever is a major no brainer, for about $100 you get a pre amp, a speaker amp and headphone amp, a tuner, and a phono pre amp.

I also prefer the look of my Marantz to that of my new Yamaha RX-A 850, and last but not least, if you decide to sell your vintage reciever, not only can you get your money back, but you might even sell it for more than what you've paid.

Some ''purists'' might want to give me a Tobasco sauce enema for saying this, but I often use my 2220B to power my Focal Utopia headphones.

Quote:

Doesn't seem like a stretch to believe they're all the same.

Who knows!, after all, both the $100 SR60e and the PS2000e flagship both share the same rod blocks! 

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #35,339 of 65,632
from my understanding the vintage receiver was overbuilt. they were ahead of their time because every year those japanese companies was go to each others,trying to outdone each others.and some people might argue,yea but it was old technology.it was in 70s-80s. whenever you saw that made in japan label it's instantly unreachable, the japanese products prices was sky rocket, they built to last. they had all the resource to burn for just a research and trying something new.remember it was yamaha who built a first speaker with berrylium diaphragm in 70s. and considering manufacturing cost always increase each time. you really had a great bargain from vintage receiver or might even any products of those golden era from japanese manufcaturers

Apr 18, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #35,340 of 65,632

''...better than the ''Marantz'', Ha! Ha!, you almost had me going there for a second!!!

Seriously though, I've never heard a vintage HK, but it must sound awesome because Marantz from the 70's sound great.

I have a 2220B, a 2226B, and a 2235B, and sound quality wise, the 2220B is the best sounding of the three.

When you think about it, buying a good vintage reciever is a major no brainer, for about $100 you get a pre amp, a speaker amp and headphone amp, a tuner, and a phono pre amp.

I also prefer the look of my Marantz to that of my new Yamaha RX-A 850, and last but not least, if you decide to sell your vintage reciever, not only can you get your money back, but you might even sell it for more than what you've paid.

Some ''purists'' might want to give me a Tobasco sauce enema for saying this, but I often use my 2220B to power my Focal Utopia headphones.

Quote:

Who knows!, after all, both the $100 SR60e and the PS2000e flagship both share the same rod blocks! 

you caught me stacker, lol
actually what'd i'd say is it's different in a good way, where the marantz has a warm tone, the 330c is clear, snappy, it's a good contrast 
 i know i could sell each of them for more than what i paid, but right now, i have no plans to !
next up will be some better speakers for the marantz 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back