Grado Fan Club!
Apr 15, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #35,296 of 65,636
It really sucks that Grado gets so much schiit around these forums (and other forums). Recently I've stumbled across many a recommendation thread for noobs and usually by the first or second response it's some Dumbo talking about stay away from Grados they're no good. Usually it's just regurgitated crap that they themselves have seen or heard from someone that doesn't like Grados like Tyll for example. Just to be clear I have no trouble with someone not liking Grados, it's only the morons who give schiity advice based on something they heard from somewhere without actually having experience themselves with all things Grado.

I don't know about you guys but it took me awhile to stumble across a Grado (Rs2) that actually change my views on the sound signature that I now love. I tried just about everything else at the time that was supposed to be the bees knees and yet I was not satisfied with what I heard.

it's the same with everything nowadays. everybody just repeats what others said without thinking for themselves.
hell, even the media fails to do fact checking more and more now.

The RS2 changed me from being a basshead to a treble loving person.
Still enjoy bass, but now in a more balanced fashion

Apr 15, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #35,297 of 65,636
  I hear you loud and clear.

I fell in love with the Grado sound early, not because it is a neutral sound, because it was a fun as hell sound and I very much enjoyed it, and it sounded fantastic to my ears with classic rock and blues music.
Once you have fallen in love with the Grado sound, it is like the mafia....once your are in, you are in....and you can't "get out" if you wanted too  
floatsmile.png

I gave my neighbor my Grado SR60i to use on his vacation, and he feel in love with it and he does not want to put a whole lot of money in a system, but he said that it made him enjoy his music again, and that is what it is all about.

I don't often recommend stuff, because I know that people hear differently, have different gear, listen to different music with different sources......so I take most reviews and such with a grain of salt..but for $60 dollars and not needing an amp to power them, if someone wants a can for rock or blues...it is hard not to recommend the SR60.

I coudn't agree more!!

Here is a nice video to get your Saturday morning going...I know a lot of you guys like Joe Bonomassa and here is a great clip of him with Bruce Hornsby. He really looks kind of lost for about 8 minutes
blink.gif
but then watch out..
eek.gif

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #35,299 of 65,636
  Gh1's sounding good with a little acoustic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWEJPqJtZsk

Hi man, not sure about this particular youtube clip, but after your post, I have listened to James McMurtry on Tidal via Mojo and GH1 - thanks for pointing me to another marvelous acoustic artist. My James McMurtry journey starts on Tidal via Roon...

Apr 15, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #35,300 of 65,636

​Hi wormsdriver,

Good to still see this thread running.

My preference for the Grado headphones ( I only have the SR125's) other than the balance and placement of the players and instruments is due to me being a professional musician for 7 years. Grado's do not sit me back 10 rows from the band. In fact to me, they place me listening right on stage. I have two brothers that also play and I recommended Grado to them. They both bought them and love them because of that. Also other musicians I have known and worked with have gotten them after I demo'd mine to them.
These are truly a musician's headphone.
Just my thoughts,
Ren

Apr 15, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #35,301 of 65,636
Yea you guys pretty much nailed my thoughts exactly. Grado is a very love/hate type of brand in this hobby but to be honest.. most of the people who are on the "hate" side are only there because they go by what others tell them instead of really auditioning themselves. Or a lot of people dislike their unique appearance so they won't give it a try for that reason either.

Me personally, I bought every other brand and auditioned everything else until Grado was the last left and I was like.. what the heck let's try it out. Purchased the 60i and it made me say "wow" out loud. Ever since then I have been hooked.

What took me so long to try it in the first place is I came from a technical background so the less than ideal measurements kept me away and also I didn't think I'd like the "on ear" design. In the end I am obviously glad I gave them a shot and after discovering the RS2e I have the utmost respect for Grado sound. My only gripes still are build quality but meh..

Apr 15, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #35,303 of 65,636
This is the best thread on the whole site! It will probably be the last thread on the forums to die haha :smile:

No, that will be the HD-650 thread with its endless discussions about The Veil and which amp sounds best with the 650s.

deadhorse.gif

Apr 16, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #35,304 of 65,636
No, that will be the HD-650 thread with its endless discussions about The Veil and which amp sounds best with the 650s.

:deadhorse:

Yuck lol I actually listened to the latest revamped 650 (they've done like 20 updates by now) and it sounds completely different than it did 10 years ago. In a good way that is.

So by the way.. after I made the response about the 60i being the one to suck me into the Grado world.. I looked online and found a couple selling brand new at pretty much same price it used to sell at. I might get one for old time same as my old 60i basically fell completely apart after using it daily for a year straight 8 hours a day.

Apr 16, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #35,306 of 65,636
I have always expressed my infatuation with my Grado HF2s... Perhaps my most musical headphone in my collection.

Well by absolute fluke... I have this sound signature in speaker form.

They are the Fluid FPX7 studio monitors.

I initially wanted to purchase the Adam A7X... But the instore demo showed that these didn't sound any worse, and were half the price.

When I got them home... And hooked them up... Oh crap... These sound horrible. The treble was killing my ears and the bass was indistinct, couldn't follow the bass line at all.

Ah, you pay for what you get. I'll exchange them for the A7Xs.

But now... Wow. No way. Won't exchange them for nothing. Absolutely stunning treble and the bass line came on.

I think speakers need more break in than headphones.

This is the second day I have had them and if it gets better... It'd be a bonus.

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #35,308 of 65,636
Can't agree more! Canadian grade price is unreasonable. That why I love Grady but finally buy focal and fostex. Gh2, in Toronto bay bloor radio, is $975 + tax... don't know why grade official sale doesn't' ever want to deliver to Canada but only Mexico and US.

I haven't got a chance to try gh2, but according to a post I read on another forum, gh2 has a wider sound range than gh1, while gh1 has better high freq. I believe gh2 is set between gh1 and rs1e. But considering its price in Canada, I would wait for a used one in forum..

Hope these help.

Apr 16, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #35,309 of 65,636
  it's the same with everything nowadays. everybody just repeats what others said without thinking for themselves.
hell, even the media fails to do fact checking more and more now.

The RS2 changed me from being a basshead to a treble loving person.
Still enjoy bass, but now in a more balanced fashion

I think the problem I see more than anything is people who mistake bass quantity for bass quality. Grado's give you quality in exchange for a little less quantity. I'll take quality every time over quantity. If all you are after is bass quantity there are dozens of $50 headphones that will give you that.

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #35,310 of 65,636
I think the problem I see more than anything is people who mistake bass quantity for bass quality. Grado's give you quality in exchange for a little less quantity. I'll take quality every time over quantity. If all you are after is bass quantity there are dozens of $50 headphones that will give you that.

Well said! Hello everyone. My name is Musiclvr and I am a basshead.....in that I need fast, uber-detailed, and properly extended bass! Enter my GS2KE's which meet all of the above criteria except for in quantity presentation. My LCD-X's bass presentation checks all the boxes for me but don't have that Grado acoustic tonality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back