Grado Fan Club!
Mar 4, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #34,832 of 65,811

First impression upon putting them on was, "Wait, these have bass?".  Compared to my GH1, GS1000e, and the RS1e I had shortly, these can really dish out the lows, and they are at the same time quite bright.  Not a problem as it's the signature Grado sound I love.  I'm using the stock L cups so far.  Might have to try the Gs and see if it tames the highs a bit.  But yeah, so far I'm in love.  I keep taking them off just to look at them... Good thing my wife is out of town so she can't see me doting on them, haha. 

you find the RS1e lacking bass?

I have the older model RS1, but they have bass alright...

Mar 4, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #34,833 of 65,811

not as low as gs1000i. and i much prefer gh1 to rs1 button. but i never heard rs1e anyway or the original rs1. Maybe he just compare it with other headphones. grado bass never really prominent but i have no problem with it.it could be better but it's there and quite decent  

Mar 4, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #34,834 of 65,811
First impression upon putting them on was, "Wait, these have bass?".  Compared to my GH1, GS1000e, and the RS1e I had shortly, these can really dish out the lows, and they are at the same time quite bright.  Not a problem as it's the signature Grado sound I love.  I'm using the stock L cups so far.  Might have to try the Gs and see if it tames the highs a bit.  But yeah, so far I'm in love.  I keep taking them off just to look at them... Good thing my wife is out of town so she can't see me doting on them, haha. 

How are the mids? I'm looking for something with a less v-shaped sonic signature than my GS1000e.

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #34,835 of 65,811
How are the mids? I'm looking for something with a less v-shaped sonic signature than my GS1000e.

Well, they're still breaking in, but they seem really bright so far.  Way more low end oomph than the GS1000e.

I only had the RS1e a week, but from what I remember, they had a mid bass hump but it dropped off really quickly and made the bass kind of rubber band sounding.

Mar 4, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #34,837 of 65,811
Astral Abyss

Wow those look amazing! I usually like bright headphones (as do many posting here, I presume). Would you say they lean towards harsh/punchy or more sparkly, detailed sound?

I don't really find them harsh, but keep in mind I use them with my Ember II and have a tube mellowing them a bit. I need to try them with my Shanling M5 DAP.

Mar 5, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #34,838 of 65,811
For whatever it's worth, I don't find them particularly brighter than any other grado I've owned. I'm not sure what that says about the headphone but, I'm really happy with it.

Mar 6, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #34,839 of 65,811
For whatever it's worth, I don't find them particularly brighter than any other grado I've owned. I'm not sure what that says about the headphone but, I'm really happy with it.

The more I listen to the GH2 the more I like it.  Really something special here.  I'd say they're a step up over even my GH1s that I love.  Just did a little A/B back and forth while listening to some Jethro Tull and I found myself preferring the GH2.  It's got the really tight bass that I mentioned before and is a bit clearer in the mids than the GH1.  The tonality of the GH2 is a bit fuller.  I would guess it's got something to do with the denseness of the cocobolo wood.  Highs on both are about the same.  Only unknown is how it will sound after it breaks in.  My GH1 has several hundred hours on it, GH2 has about 10.

Don't know if it's different enough from the GH1 to buy it if you already have a GH1 and are happy with it, unless you're like me and a sucker for unique woods.  But I'd say it's a really excellent Grado and not going to be around long either.

Mar 6, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #34,840 of 65,811
  I just EQ'd my SR225e in relation with the frequency graph on them. Meaning I dropped the hotter treble stuff in the JRiver EQ function.

I pulled:
3KHz down by 3.9dB.
6KHz down by 3.1dB.
12KHz down by 3.5dB.

That's going by this graph.

Good grief!

I didn't expect it. They sound perfect. Yeah still a little trebly - just maybe. However the bass notes are in tandem fully. I am aware all the time of them. I don't need to focus to hear the bass notes. Whereas if I put the EQ flat again, the bass fades by the fact that the treble notes come forward.

I guess this is what the effect of modding the SR225e and other Prestige Series would have. I recall @DavidA saying the bass got better and the treble sweeter with his SR225e when Dynomat and sorthobane was used. ....
basshead.gif
I am going to have to do it. (Or at least, the tape-mod.)

I mean I always had my mind focused on the Grado with a proper and more equal bass presence. Like the PS500/e, and maybe the GH-1. (I have always even shied just minutely fractionally away though from them. Now they are an option.)

Mar 6, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #34,842 of 65,811

Dang  ,  slap those HP's off her head saying  "These SR-325e ain't for sharing woman !!!! " 
wink_face.gif

lol, she says she won't share them

Mar 6, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #34,845 of 65,811
Joining the club with a humble set of SR60E..Seriously blown away by these and i can't se any other headphones that i own getting used in the near future. If this is entry level and for 80 bucks or so ( 125+ ) in Sweden where i live. I'm mind blown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back