Grado Fan Club!
Mar 1, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #34,801 of 65,633
Thats cool. You guys have such a diverse array of trees over there. Macassar has always been one of my favorites but it's *really* expensive here, as far as hardwoods go. I've got some stashed away for when I feel like I'm good enough to attempt to make some cups out of it. Tigerwood mostly gets sold as wood for outdoor decks here, it's relatively new as a tonewood in guitars and (I guess) headphone cups. I've been thinking about picking up a few boards if I can come across some nice ones. If that happens, I'll let you know. :)

Mar 2, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #34,805 of 65,633
Mar 2, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #34,806 of 65,633
Good guess, Stacker! When I really want to rock out I get up to 105 dB, but I use M50's...  My concern here was the drivers
darthsmile.gif

Thanks, tiger roach!   

Mar 2, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #34,807 of 65,633

Further caution, do not play Grados loud! I personally would not exceed 90 dB with them...

Just curious - is this out of concern for blowing a driver, or an eardrum?

Its out of concern for the plastic surgeon's lonely wife. He's going to need at least a week to repair the damage when these things MELT YOUR FACE!!!! Because these cans RAWK!!!

Did I get it? Is that why?

biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #34,808 of 65,633
@ecdarby
haha they guy just trying some different woods just for aesthetic. but the sound turn out to be okay i guess.cool! just let me know

pretty sure you hurt your eardrum first before the driver blow out. i've done this before. i was using pioneer se 700 on CK2III at full volume.and then the day after i switch for ps1000e. turn the power on. put the headphone on.hit the music.bam! shocking.i immediately put off the grado.and then look at the volume level.damn it! i forgot.i lower the volume down.but my ears already ringing. i didn't listen any music that night. go to sleep.hoping the ringing will be gone and i didn't damage my eardrum.and luckily it's gone. 

Mar 2, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #34,809 of 65,633
  @ecdarby
haha they guy just trying some different woods just for aesthetic. but the sound turn out to be okay i guess.cool! just let me know

pretty sure you hurt your eardrum first before the driver blow out. i've done this before. i was using pioneer se 700 on CK2III at full volume.and then the day after i switch for ps1000e. turn the power on. put the headphone on.hit the music.bam! shocking.i immediately put off the grado.and then look at the volume level.damn it! i forgot.i lower the volume down.but my ears already ringing. i didn't listen any music that night. go to sleep.hoping the ringing will be gone and i didn't damage my eardrum.and luckily it's gone. 

Yep, absolutely. I've had many situations like that running live sound through unknown equipment, usually when I wasn't the only one with my hands on the volume knob. I'm very lucky to still have hearing at this point in my life. I really try to treat my ears with more respect now than I did when I was younger and would absolutely agree with limiting the volume, even when the urge to turn it up is strong. It may sound good now, but you will have to live with those damaged eardrums someday. 

Mar 2, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #34,810 of 65,633

good for you! yea that's the problem living in third world country.i don't have luxury to have things like garage sale or flea market. especially in electronics. so my only option is to go online shop or online auction.it used to be great place to hunting.the price seems fair. but lately the price being really non sense. and since my local community not really having a huge variety of collections.so my only option to hear it is i have to buy the headphone.and if i don't like the sound.selling it going to be a pain in the ass

the hp2 or any joe grado headphones still on my wish list. i really want to know what the fuzz is all about.is it really the holy grail.currently there is 2 headphones i really want to try hp2 and stax sigma. i have a few on my list.but those 2 headphones always on my top list. 

i love grado headphones. i bought 4 grados without any auditioning in the first place.i'm just gambling.i'm just disappointed with rs1 button. the other three.love em. i'm using grado sr60 for six straight years. until i decided i need to try other sound. in that moment the other brand not really compelling to me and i even auditioned some of them. so i go vintage route.there used to this website called wikiphonia and there used to be dude called wualta and duggeh. they really spreading the vintage headphones around. so i try to looked it up. and bought whatever i could. it was cheap not super cheap.but still cheap. and easily one of the best purchase.i ended up spending 3 years using mb quart 85 and toshiba hr 810 just because my amplifier could only drive this 2 very moderate.the others, no such luck.and with those 2 headphones, i just could not find any logical reason why would i spend more. and somehow i stop listening on my grado. but there's something missing in every listening session. and then i bought rs1 button. really disappointed to be honest. a week later i had a chance to bought either grado ps1000e or hp2. somehow i gamble on ps1000e even though all my guts go for hp2 but my thought was it was really in beat up condition and the thought using flat pad might cut me on long listening session. well, grado ps1000e brought me back to grado community

the wood really looks familiar.may i know what is it?

Well you might want to cross the HP2 off your wich list because I have  a pair and it's a piece of crap!

I'm kidding of course, but keep in mind though that the HP1000 doesn¯t have the smiley face that most Grado's have, to my knowledge it' the most neutral headphones that Grado has ever produced.

I much prefer Joseph's approach to headphones desing, than John's penny pinching way of doing buisness.

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #34,811 of 65,633
  *snip*

If I hadn't found them as I did, they probably never would have crossed my radar and I would probably still be listening to lackluster Sony's, thinking that was as good as it gets. But I currently own about 10 pairs (6 sets of Grados) and have taken up wood turning to learn how to carve my own cups and build my own (speaking of being cheap, see below). :) I do personally, really like these headphones and wouldn't sell them for $500, regardless of what I paid. If you ever get a chance to really sit down and listen to a set, I couldn't recommend doing it enough.

Beautiful work....is that Black Limba for the body? What's the face wood?

I've found I prefer a hardwood for the outside face, and as the wall around the driver (so the driver touches the Black Limba body with its back, but is encased around the outside by something hard and dense). My favorite layered build so far is a pair of Ypsilon (the original version) in cups made with Burmese Blackwood on the outside face and around the driver, and a Black Limba body, with flat (S-Cush) pads.

Mar 2, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #34,812 of 65,633

Beautiful work....is that Black Limba for the body? What's the face wood?

I've found I prefer a hardwood for the outside face, and as the wall around the driver (so the driver touches the Black Limba body with its back, but is encased around the outside by something hard and dense). My favorite layered build so far is a pair of Ypsilon (the original version) in cups made with Burmese Blackwood on the outside face and around the driver, and a Black Limba body, with flat (S-Cush) pads.

Thanks! Gray Limba? It's from a board that is very clearly divided down the center with black limba on one side, white limba on the other. It's definitely from the more whitish side, but I was really surprised that after sanding, the grain started to pop out with a light grayish-black. Nothing dramatic, but the grain turned out way better looking than I was expecting when I started. The wood on the face was some thin stock Bocote I had stashed. The Limba board is 4/4, so I just used to Bocote to give the chambers some depth and the outside some character. The Janka hardness of bocote is noted to be around 2010 lbf, not nearly as hard as the blackwood, but still much harder than the limba. What effect does using super dense wood on both sides of the limba have on the sound?

The first thing Im trying to figure out is how deep the air chamber can be before it starts to have a pronounced effect on the sound. These are pretty shallow, just shy of an inch from the back of the driver to the outside face.

Mar 2, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #34,813 of 65,633
Just got my GH2.
blink.gif

I gotta say, as someone that moved on from Grado a few months ago (sold my GH1 and GS1000e), these cocobolos sounds pretty dang good. Dare I say it, even better bass response while still holding true to that classic Grado mid centric sound. Color me impressed! 

Mar 2, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #34,814 of 65,633
Just got my GH2.
:blink:
I gotta say, as someone that moved on from Grado a few months ago (sold my GH1 and GS1000e), these cocobolos sounds pretty dang good. Dare I say it, even better bass response while still holding true to that classic Grado mid centric sound. Color me impressed! 

That's great to hear! How is the treble? Any pics on the way?

Mar 3, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #34,815 of 65,633

Well you might want to cross the HP2 off your wich list because I have  a pair and it's a piece of crap!

I'm kidding of course, but keep in mind though that the HP1000 doesn¯t have the smiley face that most Grado's have, to my knowledge it' the most neutral headphones that Grado has ever produced.

I much prefer Joseph's approach to headphones desing, than John's penny pinching way of doing buisness.

yea that's my main reason why i want to have hp1000, i want to try something different but still have grado genes. and it's really good looking headphone :D

i know. but at that time the company almost went bankrupt so can't really blame him.but now.yea he could do a lot better approach. at least better quality control please.but then again, my drivers never failing out.so....
confused_face_2.gif

do you have hp2 or hp2i? out of curiosity.what if somehow at some point the drivers went bad.is there any way to get it repair? cause i think i read it somewhere that even joseph didn't have the stock for the drivers anymore 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back