Grado Fan Club!
Dec 18, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #34,006 of 65,822
@joseph69

i also try ps1ke with bowl pad.at first its sound weird.after a while. i kinda dig the sound actually, but i have to lower the volume otherwise my ears start ringing and its not comfortable at all, that's the main reason why i pass hp2. i had a chance to buy hp2 a year ago.i was listening with rs1 button with flat pad and my thought was.this is not comfortable for long session.and since hp2 also comes with flat pad and it's probably heavier than rs1. so instead go for hp2, i choose ps1ke. with hope that's this probably a right call. fast forward to today.that hp2 still haunting me.

wow good for you! i'm waiting for your comparison. yea that's what i also read online about hp1000, neutral sounding and build quality(no glue.it all using screws) . and for ps1, people always said the midrange and bass.they kept saying ps1 bass really great. but it was like 10 years ago i guess.i'm wondering with all new headphone especially from orthodynamic. do ps1 bass still up there

@glevethan

headphone amplifier progress has been really fast and advanced for the last 8 years. yea those PPA really famous back then. is it v2? i think it's still competent to handle grado headphones. for rs1. from what i've read.people still choose ra-1 amp and maple tree amp.they all said it has the best synergy. if you looking for portable.you can't go wrong with chord mojo.

Dec 18, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #34,007 of 65,822
I also remember reading about the PS1 having more sub-bass, but the bass possibly bleeding into the mid-range (depending on who's opinion). I also read the HP2 has tighter bass rather than more, which I'm much more interested in being I'm not a bass head.

EDIT: Maybe the HP1000 is the only HP (build quality wise) worthy of its price? 
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #34,008 of 65,822
i don't know how much you paid for your hp2. with all red lettering intact that's probably over 2k. if not, you're lucky person :D. but build quality wise, for sure. i like the idea you paid something expensive, at least you could drop it once, at least without having a fear. especially if you're using that item not just for aesthetic pleasure like furniture

Dec 18, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #34,009 of 65,822
  @eserafinojr 
thanks man really helpful! i really appreciate it. its all right, i don't mind reading that. i prefer that actually hahaha
i believe the thread you mention is this
http://www.head-fi.org/t/485286/grado-ps1-vs-ps1000-when-the-dradon-meet-the-tiger
which brings to another questions if you dont mind :D

is it true? if you change the pad to bowl pad on ps1000 they sound close to ps1?

i had no idea ps-1 had different looks. so is it safe to say that any sr series with blackstar driver would give you idea of how hp1000 series sounds like? and between pink driver and blackstar drivers which one you prefer to listening music? i saw you had planar headphone and focal utopia on your signature. do ps1 and hp1000 still up there?

and this might be stupid questions. but i really curious about this ever since i tried some new flagship modern headphones. between rs1,gs series,ps1,hp1000,ps1000.could you ranking them in term of weight? which heavier which lighter? my bet is on rs1 for lightest and ps100 for heaviest.but i want to know where ps1 and hp1000 fell in between.

@TDL-speakers
it was around 2500usd since the last time i saw them on ebay but its very rare to come out.good luck with that hahaha

No problem man!

When I had the PS1000 I did try them with bowls and they sounded terrible. Congested boomy and with recessed treble.

The PS1000 sounds its absolute best with the original G cushions.

I don't agree that the PS1000 w/ Bowls sounds like the PS-1. 

The PS-1 and PS1000 are completely different sounding headphones in every respect.

Regarding the Blackstar SR's, yes they certainly give you an idea of the HP1000. Just as I told @wormsdriver the difference is not night a day.

They are indeed very similar. I described the difference between the 2 a couple of posts back.

As far as pure music listening pleasure between those 2, I'd reach for my Super Vintage Pink Driver SR80s over the HP2. Due to their beautifully musical and analog flavor to them. You can listen to them for hours on end and lose yourself into the music. Fantastic headphones.

Not to say I don't like the HP2s, I love them as I described previously. Just not for the first Grado I reach for when listening for awhile with a wide ranging playlist and types of music.

Regarding weight you are right on the Money. From lightest to heaviest of those 4 :

RS1 Buttonless Early 2000s (Lightest Grados I own)
HP1000
PS-1
PS1000

The PS-1's bass only bleeds into mids without an amp (If you were to watch a youtube video on your phone for example) or an amp that is on the bassy side.

Excellent Tube or SS amps with great control of bass, mids and trble.... the PS-1's entire frequency range is distinct and separate. Phenomenal dynamics, instrument separation... everything really.

So zero issues there for me on my set up.

BTW @joseph69 Congratulations on your HP1000 acquisition, looking forward to hearing your thoughts!!

Great discussion on all things Vintage Grados  
cool.gif

Dec 18, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #34,010 of 65,822

No problem man!

When I had the PS1000 I did try them with bowls and they sounded terrible. Congested boomy and with recessed treble.

The PS1000 sounds its absolute best with the original G cushions.

I don't agree that the PS1000 w/ Bowls sounds like the PS-1. 

The PS-1 and PS1000 are completely different sounding headphones in every respect.

Regarding the Blackstar SR's, yes they certainly give you an idea of the HP1000. Just as I told @wormsdriver the difference is not night a day.

They are indeed very similar. I described the difference between the 2 a couple of posts back.

As far as pure music listening pleasure between those 2, I'd reach for my Super Vintage Pink Driver SR80s over the HP2. Due to their beautifully musical and analog flavor to them. You can listen to them for hours on end and lose yourself into the music. Fantastic headphones.

Not to say I don't like the HP2s, I love them as I described previously. Just not for the first Grado I reach for when listening for awhile with a wide ranging playlist and types of music.

Regarding weight you are right on the Money. From lightest to heaviest of those 4 :

RS1 Buttonless Early 2000s (Lightest Grados I own)
HP1000
PS-1
PS1000

The PS-1's bass only bleeds into mids without an amp (If you were to watch a youtube video on your phone for example) or an amp that is on the bassy side.

Excellent Tube or SS amps with great control of bass, mids and trble.... the PS-1's entire frequency range is distinct and separate. Phenomenal dynamics, instrument separation... everything really.

So zero issues there for me on my set up.

BTW @joseph69 Congratulations on your HP1000 acquisition, looking forward to hearing your thoughts!!

Great discussion on all things Vintage Grados  
cool.gif

Thank you very much.
Also, thank you for all of your impressions!

Dec 18, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #34,011 of 65,822
@eserafinojr
thanks again!  i think its time to hunting for some pink drivers:D 
may i know what amp do you use to drive your grados?

@joseph69
i hate you :D 

Dec 18, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #34,012 of 65,822
They are hard to come by but when they do pop up go for it!

I'll shoot you a PM if I ever find any or see any for sale.

I'm a big fan of the top line Little Dot amps. And I've had amps like the WA22, but I never liked it with my Grados. I actually prefer SS amps with Grados because virtually all of my Grados have such a smooth and organic sound. I prefer neutral SS amps with them, although I am a big fan of tubes.

I use the Little Dot X1, their flagship solid state amp with their 500W power supply unit. The X1 has top notch components, lots of power up to 6W but it adjusts to the impedance of the headphone plugged in. No hiss, deep black background. Outstanding dynamics and clarity with all of my Grados.

Not sure why it never got any attention on headfi. People love the MK8 and MK6 and all of their other amps.

They don't advertise so it's all word of mouth!

At work I got a nice Marantz HD-DAC1 Amp/DAC combo I use with my HF2s. Great synergy with the Grados.

I had an Oppo HA-1 SS amp a while back for my home rig and the X1 blows it out of the water. It's got a phase splitter so single ended input can be listened to balanced and vice versa.

I use the LD MK6+ for my Audezes and the Utopia.

What about everyone else here? What do you guys use with your Grados? :)

Dec 18, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #34,013 of 65,822
I use either the GS-X mk2 or WA6.
I balanced my PS1K/GH1/RS1i because I use them in a fully balanced system with my mk2. I left the 325is SE because their my desktop HP's which I use with the Magni/Modi combo almost all of the time. I also made a 4-pin XLR>SE adapter so I for use with the WA6.

Dec 18, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #34,014 of 65,822
thanks!

i'm using CKIII, i've been thinking to buy tube amp. but i'm afraid it's going to change the sound dramatically, since i never experience tube sound before. i read a lot of good things about little dot amp from lowest end up to MKIV but beyond that, not a lot of people talk about it. so my first thought was maybe not that good... is it massive different between single ended and balance with grado? i once tried gs1000i with b22 4 boards long time ago. it's better but not enough justification i guess...bass really tight for sure.black background.and that's about it.it was long time ago.maybe i should try to 
listen to it again.

btw do you guys also using iem? is there any iem that has grado sound? i'm currently using shure se846. and i just kept thinking maybe i should change with something else.i'm thinking gr10e but what if its a downgrade from se846

Dec 18, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #34,016 of 65,822
  @eserafinojr
thanks again!  i think its time to hunting for some pink drivers:D 
may i know what amp do you use to drive your grados?

a good set or sr 60 or 80 pinks can be had for under $100 on the ebay
if you know what to look for

you don't need a lot of amp for most grados
the little dot is a great value, i have a MKiii
came with mullard preamp tubes, sounds fantastc

also the paw5000 is a great portable for grado's

Dec 18, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #34,017 of 65,822
Does anyone else enjoy the part about Grado's open backs that lets in subtle ambient noises like the crackling of a fireplace, or birds chirping? I swear it makes me happier than hogs in the mud. I'm listening to "Winter Was Hard" by Kronos Quartet right now by the fire, and it feels like I have a personal performance in my living room.

...No hiss, deep black background. Outstanding dynamics and clarity with all of my Grados...
...What about everyone else here? What do you guys use with your Grados? :)

I'm using a McIntosh MHA100 with all my headphones. Great solid state amp, and it certainly delivers those deep black backgrounds you're referring to. I love this. It reminds me of the blackest blacks on quality photographic fiber paper. Which is of part of what Grado's do for me in general.

Dec 19, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #34,018 of 65,822
Does anyone else enjoy the part about Grado's open backs that lets in subtle ambient noises like the crackling of a fireplace, or birds chirping? I swear it makes me happier than hogs in the mud. I'm listening to "Winter Was Hard" by Kronos Quartet right now by the fire, and it feels like I have a personal performance in my living room.

This is exactly why i like open headphones.
when you're outside, and you can hear everything + the music, it sounds like the whole world is playing your music.

when you're inside, it sounds like you're getting a private concert.

enjoyment +10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back