Grado Fan Club!
Jul 14, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #32,791 of 65,622

i really like the way it's packaged. congrats!

just some tips regarding these IEMs: wear them over-ear (wire over ear) and you really have to fit them quite deep into your ear canal, that's when they sound at their best (to me, at least?)
and congratulations on these superb IEMs!

Thanks!

I'm pushing them as far as they'll go, and they sound great, could you please explain to me, what you mean, when you say ''wear them over ear'', because my cable is runs downwards, basically following my ear canal.
confused.gif

@CH23 here are some more photos. Pretty cool super "L" cushions included. The cable is really thin for Grado too but it's really nice in that it feels almost weightless. The DS2012 definitely has a detailed sound as well as speedy coherent bass. Very satisfying.

I might be wrong, but I used to own a pair of GS1000, and I think that the DG edition might be a renamed first gen GS1k, wich had the same ''thin'' 4 conductors cable. The GS1ki had 8, and the GS1ke has 12 conductors.

Jul 14, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #32,792 of 65,622

Thanks!

I'm pushing them as far as they'll go, and they sound great, could you please explain to me, what you mean, when you say ''wear them over ear'', because my cable is runs downwards, basically following my ear canal.
confused.gif

more than willing to explain :)

(actually i blatantly stole below image from @goodvibes )

from http://www.head-fi.org/t/756689/grados-new-line-of-iem-gr10e-and-the-gr8e/15#post_11368947

Jul 14, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #32,794 of 65,622
If the serial number on a pair of grados doesn't match the one in the box does that mean that it's not the original box or
does it mean if you have a RS1i it possibly wouldn't be an RS1i?

Hard to say I'd guess that the owner had a spare rs1i box from another rs1i that he previously had and sold. Then just forgot about the box or misplaced it and found it.

Jul 14, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #32,795 of 65,622
Just saw this on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grado-X-Dolce-and-Gabbana-DS2012-Over-Ear-Headphones-1250-tax-RARE-GS1000i-/112056061408?hash=item1a170fcde0:g:pqoAAOSwyKxXhyH2

Another D&G GS-1000i, or is this the same one that some one on this thread just got and is selling again?

No, not the same HP's.

wonder why people are selling them now?  haven't seen them around for a few years and now two in the same month for sale.

I think he/she was too excited with the sound :D

Probably just waiting for them to bring in more .

Hi all! The DS2012's for sale in my signature are in fact the same HP's for sale on the other site noted earlier in this thread.
When I first found the DS2012 I couldn't pass on the opportunity. After hearing them I can appreciate the uber detail that the DS2012 have. I still prefer the GS2000e to these based on one thing only though, that is the treble refinement that is experienced with the GS2Ke. I have found the DS2012 is almost impossible to pull off my head with acoustic music. Had I not heard the GS2ke I would be quite content to keep them in rotation. With VOCAL centric music I reach for my GS2Ke or my Andromeda's as the DS2012 are bit too hot with poor recordings..... I don't mind keeping them but since I have my GS2Ke I am looking to go in another direction sound wise. I am quite taken by the packaging of the DS2012. I wish Grado would have kept something even close to this presentation. After spending $1,565.00 for my 4-Pin XLR terminated GS2Ke and seeing the packaging I can't help but feel taken.....until I play music through them.

Jul 14, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #32,796 of 65,622
Hi all! The DS2012's for sale in my signature are in fact the same HP's for sale on the other site noted earlier in this thread.
When I first found the DS2012 I couldn't pass on the opportunity. After hearing them I can appreciate the uber detail that the DS2012 have. I still prefer the GS2000e to these based on one thing only though, that is the treble refinement that is experienced with the GS2Ke. I have found the DS2012 is almost impossible to pull off my head with acoustic music. Had I not heard the GS2ke I would be quite content to keep them in rotation. With VOCAL centric music I reach for my GS2Ke or my Andromeda's as the DS2012 are bit too hot with poor recordings..... I don't mind keeping them but since I have my GS2Ke I am looking to go in another direction sound wise. I am quite taken by the packaging of the DS2012. I wish Grado would have kept something even close to this presentation. After spending $1,565.00 for my 4-Pin XLR terminated GS2Ke and seeing the packaging I can't help but feel taken.....until I play music through them.

Sorry, my mistake…I didn't know you were selling your DS2012 being you just received them and thought they were a totally different pair for sale on eBay.

Jul 14, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #32,797 of 65,622
Sorry, my mistake…I didn't know you were selling your DS2012 being you just received them and thought they were a totally different pair for sale on eBay.

No worries. Part of me wants to keep them but I feel like another Grado Fanboy (like myself) might appreciate them more than I.
On another note; I am due to recieve the TTVJ HD800S Loaner HP next week so I am looking forward to comparing them to the GS2Ke, and the DS2012(if I still have them) in my review. I'm pretty excited for this! :thinking::nerd::thumbsup_tone2:

Jul 14, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #32,798 of 65,622
No worries. Part of me wants to keep them but I feel like another Grado Fanboy (like myself) might appreciate them more than I.
On another note; I am due to recieve the TTVJ HD800S Loaner HP next week so I am looking forward to comparing them to the GS2Ke, and the DS2012(if I still have them) in my review. I'm pretty excited for this! :thinking::nerd::thumbsup_tone2:

I'm actually returning the 800S…I do believe you resounded to my initial impression vs the PS1K? I look forward to your impressions on the 800S.

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #32,800 of 65,622
Thanks! Grado mahogany is always so photogenic.

Jul 15, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #32,801 of 65,622
Hi all! So I happened upon a rare find yesterday and I couldn't pass it up. I present you with the Grado DS2012 (Dolce & Gabbana branded GS1000i)!!! More pics and impressions to come.

OMG how do they sound? Should any lame normal GS1k owner be worried?

BTW guys, I pulled the trigger on this! Gonna wait a few months for it to go to my house then I'm officially in the club again. Right now I only have a pair of iGrado drivers and a SR40 that's one side-dead :frowning2:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alessandro-MS-2e-Headphones-Grado-Travel-Case-/262512866228?hash=item3d1efc73b4:g:fwsAAOSweWVXdzi6

Jul 15, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #32,802 of 65,622
So I'm having an issue with my Little Dot 1+. With the dial all the way to the left (at 0) music will still play, and quite loudly at that. Something's definitely off with it and the thing is, this isn't the first time this has happened. This is a brand new unit too. I'm wondering if there is a better amplifier out there than the LD1+ for Grado cans. I'm eyeing the Schiit Vallhalla 2. On the product's description it even says it runs well with Grados.

"While most tube OTL amps are really only designed for 300 ohm Senns and 600 ohm Beyers, Valhalla 2 stretches to include headphones that you’d never expect to use with a tube amp. Go ahead. Use it with Grados. Run it with AKGs. Rely on it for many IEMs. You may even like it with high-efficiency planars like LCD-X, LCD-XC, Oppo PM-1 and HE-400."

Is the Vallhalla 2 a better or at least equal quality amp compared to the LD1+, not considering price?

Jul 15, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #32,803 of 65,622
Not sure it is a better amp for Grados, as I have never heard one....but it is a better over all amp.

Jul 15, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #32,804 of 65,622
  So I'm having an issue with my Little Dot 1+. With the dial all the way to the left (at 0) music will still play, and quite loudly at that. Something's definitely off with it and the thing is, this isn't the first time this has happened. This is a brand new unit too. I'm wondering if there is a better amplifier out there than the LD1+ for Grado cans. I'm eyeing the Schiit Vallhalla 2. On the product's description it even says it runs well with Grados.

"While most tube OTL amps are really only designed for 300 ohm Senns and 600 ohm Beyers, Valhalla 2 stretches to include headphones that you’d never expect to use with a tube amp. Go ahead. Use it with Grados. Run it with AKGs. Rely on it for many IEMs. You may even like it with high-efficiency planars like LCD-X, LCD-XC, Oppo PM-1 and HE-400."

Is the Vallhalla 2 a better or at least equal quality amp compared to the LD1+, not considering price?

Not sure about the Valhalla 2, but I recommend the Garage1217 Project Polaris for Grados.  It's tonality is designed to be fairly warm and "tubelike" for a solid state amp, and you can "roll off" some of the treble if you'd like using the bandwith jumpers.  Not only that, but there's 3 gain options and 3 power output levels (so that if you're using Grados, you use less power, and if you're using planars, the amp can put out more.) 

It's very versatile, sounds great, AND it's cheaper than the Valhalla 2.  It's not a tube amp, but that's okay :)

Jul 15, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #32,805 of 65,622

My experience with AT-HA22TUBE  and  Aune T1 (diverse tubes) is really good.  Grados shine with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back