Grado Fan Club!
Feb 26, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #30,917 of 65,694
  hey guys,

so i stupidly sold my grado 325i's to try something else.  im pretty sure at this point im going to sell the new ones and go back to a grado.  my question to you fine people is which one should i get?  i liked my 325, but it was harsh and bright and fatiguing.  i was thinking i could try an e series which supposedly neutered the harshness, OR i could try an rs2 or a ps5000 something which ive never tried, and would be a bit of a gamble coming off the 325.  both of which are in the ballpark for the amount i could probably sell the new cans for to fund them, so itd be essentially a wash.

so as someone who liked the 325, would you -

try the 325e, pocket the extra cash
try the rs2/ps5000 gamble on a "higher" end grado with no cash output

my goal is a smoother can, less harsh, and maybe a "bit" more low end punch.  if i can get that in the other ones, id be good, but i dont want to get too far from what i liked about the 325 either.  what do you guys think?

Both the 325e/RS2e are very highly regarded.
Mind you I have the 325is (which I love) and I've never heard the 325e or any RS2 series.

Feb 26, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #30,919 of 65,694

My arse off, I'm laughing!

Hurt like hell, my sides do.

Pee my pants, I just did! 
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I do not Sennheiser.  Never Sennheiser.  

Ha!  My HD650s were veiled when I tried a cheap Fiio DAC/amp, not veiled at all with the Cavalli Liquid Carbon and balanced cable.  

Feb 26, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #30,920 of 65,694

Don't go with the RS2e then.

My recommendation would be to go with the PS500e or the GH-1 if you have the budget.

thanks for that.  seems people think that the ps5000 got away from the grado sound more than most of their others, so i was a little concerned on that end.  and yea, the gh-1's are out of the question at this point (unless i can find an absolute steal used i guess).  i do love maple in my drum kits............ the only reason im even going as high as the ps5000's is because itd essentially be a wash from trading the other cans.

edit:  dammit, now im intrigued...whats the going price for a used gh-1? 

Feb 26, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #30,922 of 65,694
  thanks for that.  seems people think that the ps5000 got away from the grado sound more than most of their others, so i was a little concerned on that end.  and yea, the gh-1's are out of the question at this point (unless i can find an absolute steal used i guess).  i do love maple in my drum kits............ the only reason im even going as high as the ps5000's is because itd essentially be a wash from trading the other cans.

edit:  dammit, now im intrigued...whats the going price for a used gh-1? 

I can't recommend any of your choices because I have never heard any. However the e-series 325 is meant to be smoother and less bright than the 325i or 325is.

Feb 26, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #30,923 of 65,694
  Great to hear from you again…glad to hear everything is going well and good to have you back!
beerchug.gif

joseph69, I can't thank you enough for introducing me to this forum, and for promoting my interest in listening to music through Grado headphones. As I type this I'm enjoying Alan Broadbents interpretation of the jazz standard "I Wish I Knew". I hope all is well with you sir. The Mighty 596 with my Sophia 6SN7 tube combo in my WOO WA-6 is the bomb!

Feb 26, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #30,924 of 65,694
  joseph69, I can't thank you enough for introducing me to this forum, and for promoting my interest in listening to music through Grado headphones. As I type this I'm enjoying Alan Broadbents interpretation of the jazz standard "I Wish I Knew". I hope all is well with you sir. The Mighty 596 with my Sophia 6SN7 tube combo in my WOO WA-6 is the bomb!

beerchug.gif

Feb 26, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #30,927 of 65,694
  It's been awhile friends, but I'm back. We had a baby girl 8m ago and we are super focused and busy taking care of our new addition. I thought my Grado RS1-i's were broken in, but they sound better then ever. I almost got caught up in the headfi equipment chase, but luckily my responsibilities took precedent. MacBook > Peacthtree DAC ITx - WOO Audio WA6 > RS1i is sounding sublime and as beautiful as ever. 

well, well, well, look at what the cat dragged in , congrats on the bambino, and welcome back

Feb 26, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #30,928 of 65,694
Feb 26, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #30,929 of 65,694
  hey guys,

so i stupidly sold my grado 325i's to try something else.  im pretty sure at this point im going to sell the new ones and go back to a grado.  my question to you fine people is which one should i get?  i liked my 325, but it was harsh and bright and fatiguing.  i was thinking i could try an e series which supposedly neutered the harshness, OR i could try an rs2 or a ps5000 something which ive never tried, and would be a bit of a gamble coming off the 325.  both of which are in the ballpark for the amount i could probably sell the new cans for to fund them, so itd be essentially a wash.

so as someone who liked the 325, would you -

try the 325e, pocket the extra cash
try the rs2/ps5000 gamble on a "higher" end grado with no cash output

my goal is a smoother can, less harsh, and maybe a "bit" more low end punch.  if i can get that in the other ones, id be good, but i dont want to get too far from what i liked about the 325 either.  what do you guys think?

you have a ps5000 and keep it all to yourself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back