Grado Fan Club!
Dec 27, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #29,626 of 65,607
Can you please give an example of a recording that you are using that you question whether it is the recording or the amp/headphone combination? It would help me in comparing to what I use, so I can see whether what I recommend might be better.

I tend to use the four pieces listed in the link in my signature labeled something like "Four Dimensional Plot Comparing 13 Grados." Since then, I have discovered a couple of songs that are also useful... Madonna's "Like A Prayer" for tight bass and amount of "shoutiness" to vocals, and Enrique Inglesias "I Will Survive" for transmitting general excitement.

I haven't forgotten about this kayandjohn.. I was just kind of stumped a bit. Most of my music that got busy was a bit of a problem, so it is difficult to pick on any specific music. Like Def Leppard - Hysteria when the cymbals got going it got messy. Lake Street Dive - Stop Your Crying, got a bit confused, and sounds a fraction fuzzy. It follows a quite clear Bad self Portraits on the album. Then it's followed by a sublime Better Than, which you can melt into anytime of day.

However there's been a bit of change. With regard to my active speakers. I just bought them an audiophile quality 3.5mm jack to RCA cable, to connect DAC to them. The stereo imaging is clearer and more layered from back to front. Therefor allowing me to hear each sound in it's own space rather than in a flat layer together. Both recording mentioned above are much more enjoyable. (Lake Street Dive - Stop Your Crying still struggles though.)

In headphones though there is a still a slight issue of course because they have no access to a better cable. They just plug straight into the DAC. The Grado cables are fine though, obviously.

I think it must be the DAC. It does raise mentions about needing slightly better timing. Unless of course my headphones have kind of met their limit. If I ever decide to go ahead with my sealed up Chord Mojo, that will give me a clearer reference.

Dec 27, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #29,629 of 65,607
I have a pair of SR225i. Usually, I don't use them a lot, but these days I have been using them extensively. After 1-2 hours of use, my ears are really hurt, to the point I have to remove them for a while. Also, my ears are covered in small black particles (I think that the foam is starting to desintegrate).

I have informed myself and I have bought a pair of yellow HD414 pads, but I can't find any good guide about how to do the quarter or reverse mode. Some old topics in the forum had their images removed, and I can't find any video guide in Youtube.

Does anyone has a comprehensive guide about how to mod the HD414 pads to work with a pair of Grado? Thank you :)

Dec 27, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #29,630 of 65,607
Dec 27, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #29,631 of 65,607
  BTW, I know @kayandjohn had asked if anyone has noticed H-F being slow since they changed the format? I am having nothing but issues with the site since…anyone else? 

Yep it's slow as molasses, especially in the editor. I need to use a text file and copy+paste to write anything. I'm reminded of AOL circa 1997.

no issues here

Dec 27, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #29,632 of 65,607
  Yep it's slow as molasses, especially in the editor. I need to use a text file and copy+paste to write anything. I'm reminded of AOL circa 1997.

OK, was just wondering. 
There was also a thread started about this issue, thanks.

Nah, just bring some images to the fan club thread

Oh, OK.

no issues here

Really???
Your lucky, I'm getting very frustrated with the issues and have brought it to H-F's attention with no response.

Dec 27, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #29,634 of 65,607
yeah joseph, i can't say it's any slower at all

Dec 27, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #29,635 of 65,607
  yeah joseph, i can't say it's any slower at all

Damn, I'm having nothing but issues??? 
frown.gif

Dec 27, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #29,636 of 65,607
Dec 27, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #29,638 of 65,607
Note to self: Fund my Grado habit by offering a mysterious "Grado Cable Restoration" service, during which I will both untangle the two-wire twists that occur when the Y gets wound around multiple times, and the individual cable twists that happen when either cup rotates multiple times in general donning and doffing of the headphones. Charge $100 and get more money to buy more Grados.

Seriously, can any of us think of a headphone that has more personality than the Grados?

1. A clear overall family identity... You can tell in less than a second whether it is a Grado
  2. Within that family, a plethora of different series (Prestige, Reference, etc.), models within those series (60, 80, 125, 225, 325), and versions within each model (original, i, is (for some), e)
  3. A company culture that devotes maximum portion of our investment to the headphone, not accessories like fancy box, case, or sexy celebrities (though I think the Grado family would qualify for that!)
  4. Like an eccentric uncle, a set of idiosyncrasies that we all recoginize, tolerate, and even love (binning of parts, Frankenstein variations of driver colors, cables, etc. within the same model number, greater variation among units of the the same model number than our expectation of sameness would predict, etc.)
  5. For lower end models, some of the best sound per dollar of any headphones in the world
  6. A unique "house sound" extending across all series, models, and versions of open transparency, light but accurate bass, and strong mids.

''tolerate'', that depends, ''love'' the Frankensteins, let's not exagerate now John!
blink.gif

Dec 27, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #29,639 of 65,607
Are you asking?

I honestly try not to let anyone hear my system, but if I do, I tell them NOT to let my cups rotate.
As you have seen with the photos from my PS1K when they went up for sale…they were in pristine condition and the cable was very straight. :smile:

I normally put the headphones on the person's head :p

Edit: Unless I trust that person...

Dec 27, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #29,640 of 65,607

Are you asking?

Oh, and I also yell at people who are not careful while handling the cans... I actually flip...

I honestly try not to let anyone hear my system, but if I do, I tell them NOT to let my cups rotate.
As you have seen with the photos from my PS1K when they went up for sale…they were in pristine condition and the cable was very straight. 
smile.gif

Yeah, your cables looked wonderful Joseph, you took great care of them  
smile.gif

BTW, I know @kayandjohn had asked if anyone has noticed H-F being slow since they changed the format? I am having nothing but issues with the site since…anyone else? 

Yes, this site has been fubar for me for a few weeks now......sending private messages has been terrible....I use Google Chrome....I have even disabled flash and am still having problems, big time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back