Grado Fan Club!
Dec 22, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #29,521 of 65,606
Finally got to audition the PS1000E... Whyyyy did I do that...

Because you want them and you'll eventually get them (like I said) now that you've heard them. 
evil_smiley.gif

biggrin.gif

smile.gif

Dec 22, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #29,522 of 65,606
  I am continuing to let my GS1000e be almost exclusively my go-to headphones.   I am convinced that despite the fact that I have had them for nine months, they are continuing to improve with use.  Perhaps this is just my pecuniary plot to convince myself that I will improve them by listening until they sound better than the older GS1000i demo pair at my local audio shop that sounded WAYYYY better than the GS1000e when I compared them, so I don't have to buy the GS1000i (and even better than my GH-1, which I also compared!).

Just to be clear John, did you have the stock L-cush on your GH-1, when you compared them to the GS1000e?

Yes I can hear a difference between my Grado amps (see this), but I don't treat them as portable (even though they are battery powered and I have my special apron that will at least carry the RA-1... but with the Grado amps, I am still relying on the iPod DAC if I am portable (I have used my Bifrost DAC with the Joseph Grado HPA1 in a stationary setup).

I agree, not all battery powered headphone amps are meant to be portable. I'm pretty sure that quietness was the main reason why Joseph Grado chose to include battery power, for his HPA-1 and 2, wasn't portability. 

Like you, I use my RA1 in house too. My BSG C-Moy mint tin, is the amp I use for portability.

For some reason, I'm sure you'll be proud of me, if I tell you that I use it with my RA1 with my RS1, and my HPA-2 with my HP-2.
wink.gif

Dec 22, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #29,523 of 65,606
( ^ maybe^)

I have been desperately trying to hear an improvement when I drive my Grados with a DAC and amp from either my iPod Touch 6G or my iPhone 5S vs. driving them directly from the headphone jack.

I CAN'T!

How can I then buy more portable DACs and amps?  Just tell me that!!

I have used the CEntrance HiFi M8 set on 2 ohms output, the Beyerdynamic A 200 p, and the Sony PHA-1 (which has a 10 ohm output and can introduce damping problems for the 32 ohms input impedance of the Grados).

I have been adoring the Oppo HA-2 have been considering the Oppo HA-2, the CEntrance Skyn, and the Chord Mojo and even Chord Hugo, as well as the Peach Audio Shift.

I CAN hear a difference when my source is my iPod Classic 160 GB.

Can you hear an improvement when you put a portable DAC/amp, or even a portable amp between your current-model iPhone or iPod and your Grados?  If so, what music do you use that highlights this improvement?

Thanks!
it varies from model to model IMO. The Gs1ke always sounded perfectly fine or even better/same un amped and from a portable source. The Ps1k on the other hand usually sounds terrible *to me) if the source and amp isn't right, I can't stand it for very long at all. The Rs1 is kinda in between for me, it can sound good straight out of an ipod or smartphone, but it definitely improves with amping.

Dec 22, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #29,524 of 65,606
  Because you want them and you'll eventually get them (like I said) now that you've heard them. 
evil_smiley.gif

biggrin.gif

smile.gif

:p but even if I do get them, my rig is probably not good enough to justify the purchase.

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #29,525 of 65,606
it varies from model to model IMO. The Gs1ke always sounded perfectly fine or even better/same un amped and from a portable source. The Ps1k on the other hand usually sounds terrible *to me) if the source and amp isn't right, I can't stand it for very long at all. The Rs1 is kinda in between for me, it can sound good straight out of an ipod or smartphone, but it definitely improves with amping.

I agree.

:p but even if I do get them, my rig is probably not good enough to justify the purchase.

What source/amp do you have?
Also, what did you hear them out of?

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #29,526 of 65,606
thanks Oteil for your feedback......the mids are slightly recessed but a little eq fixes the issue entirely for me....
best sound at low volume!  

....currently enjoying Sean Costello's In the Magic Shop!

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #29,527 of 65,606

man, i'm definitely not that cool !

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #29,531 of 65,606
I agree.

What source/amp do you have?
Also, what did you hear them out of?

My setup:

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Grado Gold -> Grado PH-1 -> Grado RA-1

Or

Lenovo ThinkPad -> Arcam rPac -> Grado RA-1

Store's setup:

CD player (a nice one...) -> Phonos tube amp

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #29,532 of 65,606
Dec 22, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #29,533 of 65,606
Dec 22, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #29,535 of 65,606
Hello.

I use also my iBasso DX90, the sound is just different.
A little more "Body" to some instruments.

But the quality just out of the iPhone6+ is good too.
Different, i cannot say whois "better" or more real.

My sony Z1 dont work well, thinny sound.
My samsung galaxy S4 active give poor quality too.

The iphone did a great job with all the grados i testet.

Greetings from germany... The Grado-Desert...

Ingo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back