Grado Fan Club!
Jul 22, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #26,686 of 65,667

How about initial impression of Female Vocals... which one is better so far? the GH-1 or your rs1i?

I haven't listened to vocals as of yet, only instruments, as soon as I do I'll let you know. 
smile.gif

Congratutz on them :)
An excellent report.
Appreciate the comments.
beerchug.gif

Thank you very much!
beerchug.gif

Vindication! :wink:
I've been eagerly awaiting your impressions. Glad to see I wasn't just "hearing things". :wink:
The more I listen, the more I enjoy these things. 
beerchug.gif

No, you aren't just hearing things. 
smile.gif

Very good, agree totally.

beerchug.gif

Cool...thanks for the update. How is the treble compared to your RS1i? That's where I had the biggest issues with the RS1e.

Your very welcome.
As of right now the treble is just right…you can absolutely hear it clearly but it is more refined than the RS1i. From all of the comments about the RS1e's treble, I understand the issue with it was that there pretty much was none…this is definitely not the case with the GH-1.
beerchug.gif

I was also wondering about the treble....very interested in hearing comparison vs RS1i

Thanks , Joseph.    
smile.gif

Jul 22, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #26,687 of 65,667
  I received the GH-1's this evening and we all already know what they look like, so I'll get right to the point.
I was surprised with the fact that their supposed to be in-between the RS2e/RS1e which are "Reference" series and although the GH-1's are "Heritage" series, the box says "Signature" series? I'm just pointing this out, not complaining at all, this is totally irrelevant to their sound. Listening to Smooth/Lounge/Chill/Contemporary Jazz through my MBP (ALAC) > Rega> WA6 (Brimar-5Z4G/NU-6F8G's,  being I usually listen to my RS1i's with this combo. From the second I pressed play these sounded good right out of the box, very good. They have a nice warm/full bodied sound and a well balanced frequency range and L/R balance, with nice detail/separation/sound-stage. These are showing immediate/initial signs of a potentially very, very, very enjoyable HP. I'll keep you posted along the way to sufficient burn-in.
beerchug.gif

Here's a few pics...

Sorry can't resist...
Two reports of boxes showing prestige and signature...
Hahahaha
Classix Grado..
L3000.gif

Jul 22, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #26,688 of 65,667

Just received the GH1's today as well.  These are night and day when compared against the RS1e drivers... the latter just sounding muffled and veiled--no competition.

Compared to my PS500s.. the GH1 are definitely brighter (but not 325 shrilly), vocals have more texture and definition.  Soundstage feels similar to the PS500, but instrument separation is definitely more pronounced.  Bass seems on par.  Between the two, the PS500 is slightly more laid back, the GH1 more aggressive.

I'm surprised they sound this good right out of the box--time to start breaking them in!  Got a lot of listening ahead to do...:L3000:  

I was comparing my ps500e and GH-1 last night and everything you said is exactly what I hear as well. As far as the RS-1e goes, the pair I got was so bad I thought they may have been defective and returned them, so no comparison there. These are definitely not between the RS-2e and RS-1e since they are so far above the RS-1e. The amazing thing for me is that for the first time I am enjoying the bowl pads. The tonal balance is just right.

Jul 22, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #26,689 of 65,667
My box shows "Grado Prestige Series" then MODEL GH1 on the next line.

They were to cheap for new stickers?!?  It's so sad it's funny.

Jul 22, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #26,690 of 65,667
Sharing some music I've been enjoying on my Grados recently:

So Real, Buckley

Symphony #9 op. 125, Beethoven

Take Five, Brubeck

Caudal Lure, Karnivool

Although these are deemed "rock" headphones I'm enjoying a range of styles equally. For classical the more closed soundstage isn't necessarily a bad thing to my ears, as you sometimes feel as though you're standing right behind an instrument. I play in a concert band so this is actually quite familiar.

Of course the rock above does sound very good as expected 
biggrin.gif
 I love the separation you can hear in the Karnivool song. 

On topic with the discussion above, looks like once I'm ready to delve further up the Grado line the GH1 will be top of the list, with the PS500 slightly behind. Maybe for a more diverse application the PS would be better due to being more laid back for the less aggressive tracks?

Jul 22, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #26,691 of 65,667
GH1 - no serial numbering?  Am I missing something?  I don't see it in/on the box or under the ear pads.

Jul 22, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #26,693 of 65,667
  I was also wondering about the treble....very interested in hearing comparison vs RS1i
Thanks , Joseph.    
size]

As of last night there were no issue with the treble being harsh/sibilant, it very clean and natural sounding and there is no problem hearing it at all.

Sorry can't resist...
Two reports of boxes showing prestige and signature...
Hahahaha
Classix Grado..
L3000.gif

My mistake…the box says "Grado Prestige Series" not "Signature"…but I still thought it should have said "Grado Heritage series" being it is a new series.

The tonal balance is just right.

After about only 2hrs of listening, I agree.

So does mine, I made a mistake. 
confused_face.gif

Jul 22, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #26,695 of 65,667

I don't know, I kind of appreciate the minimal packaging.  Once I take the phones out, the box goes in the closet until it's time to sell. I've tried many of the hot planars lately and they all have very elaborate packaging that just seems a little silly and has to add quite a bit to the cost.  For example, I recently bought and returned the Oppo PM-1 which had a huge outer box and glossy wood box that was so heavy I could hardly carry it the mile walk from the store back home and had to add at least $150.00 to the cost.  Unfortunately, the headphones sounded pretty lousy to me so it was almost like the packaging was a diversion. The grado box adequately protects the phones and doesn't take up much room.

Jul 22, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #26,696 of 65,667
First impressions of GH1:

Very very similar to PS500e (A very good thing...).  I would bet money that it uses the same driver.  Very nice looking, and light weight.  No obvious manufacturing flaws.

Tracks:  
Queens of the Stone Age - Debut album (Queens of the Stone Age) - nice natural sound

Queens of the Stone Age - Rated R Deluxe Ed.:
  1. The Lost Art of Keeping a Secret - maracas stand out more than I recall before, nice snap
  2. In The Fade - bass seems a tad recessed, high hats are emphasized
  3. Never Say Never - drums sound nice and sharp, lead guitar sounds pronounced and crisp

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream:
  1. Mayonaise - Intro sounds tight, guitar is detailed, can hear picking noises from guitars that I don't think I've ever noticed before.
  2. Today - song explodes from the simple guitar intro, excellent detail - starting to think the GH1 does have better treble extension than PS500e.
  3. Cherub Rock - song is made for Grado headphones, GH1 doesn't disappoint

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross - The Social Network Soundtrack
  1. On We March - wow.

Foo Fighters - Wasting Light
  1. Bridge Burning - another song born for Grados.  Guitar sounds crisp and snappy.  Cymbals are fast and clear.
  2. White Limo - I still can't tell what Dave is saying...I don't think he knows either.

A Perfect Circle - Mer de Noms
  1. Judith - bass light, may come with break-in.

Kyuss - Blues for the Red Sun
  1. Writhe - lead guitar played on bass amp sounds nice, most clear I've heard the somewhat recessed vocals in this recording.
  2. Allen's Wrench - let's hope break-in is real and that bass improves.  Man, you better never...

The Eagles of Death Metal - Heart On
  1. I'm Your Torpedo - drums sound spot on, nice balanced sound, again, let's hope for some bass improvement with time
  2. Wannabe In LA - this diverse sounding song really shows off the GH1.  I'm liking what I hear.  The Grados seem quick.

Johnny Cash - American IV:  The Man Comes Around
  1. The Man Comes Around - the man likes the sound of this song on these phones.  The acoustic sounds pretty nice here.
  2. Sam Hall - more acoustic goodness.  Sam Hall may hate you one and all, damn your eyes, but he'd like this sound.

Tame Impala - InnerSpeaker (CE)
  1. It Is Not Meant to Be - kind of harsh sounding.  Lots of highs sound a bit piercing.
  2. Solitude Is Bliss - smoother than previous song, still requires less volume to enjoy than on PS500e.

Marilyn Manson - The Pale Emperor (DE)
  1. The Devil Beneath My Feet - very nice, no harshness, bass sounds smooth
  2. Deep Six - bass is MIA.  I think I can hear where it is trying to assert its self but not quite succeeding.

The Police - Synchronicity
  1. Syncronicity II - thin sounding.  Nice detail in mid/highs, but bass is AWOL.
  2. Wrapped Around Your Finger - I'm starting to consider some bass EQ.  It's tantalizingly close, it just needs to step on out.
  3. Miss Gradenko - don't tell the director I said so, but this sounds really good.

The Power Station - The Power Station
  1. Get It On (Bang A Gong) - the bass is peeking around the corner, come on out big guy, drum work sounds great
  2. Some Like It Hot - bass drum and guitars are recessed.  Not a great song for GH1 at this stage of break in.  Horns sound sharp, not sibilant.

Now for the music that really counts, Tool

Lateralus
  1. Lateralus - sounds close to right, like after break in, it will focus into what it should be.  Detail presentation is top notch.  Guitars sound perfect.  Bass guitar sounds like it's being played from a distance.  Needs a bass boost for sure.
  2. Parabola - needs more break-in.  Lack of bass is causing the backbone to be weak.  Bass drum and guitars need help on GH1.  PS500e is much better for Tool at this stage of GH1 break in.

No more Tool on GH1 until it's had time to open up.  Tool has to sound good, so if the bass doesn't come around, then these go up for sale.  I think they will improve over time.  Overall, color me impressed with the GH1 though.  I have high hopes for them post break-in.

Jul 22, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #26,697 of 65,667
  Is there anyone on the thread with both the GH-1/RS2e?
Thanks!

I would like to hear this comparison also.....just to get the feel of where this headphone falls in at.

Grado says between RS2 and RS1......would that not be like a PS500

Jul 22, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #26,698 of 65,667
Yes,
  Is there anyone on the thread with both the GH-1/RS2e?
Thanks!

Yes.  I literally just opened the box on my GH1.

Initial impression (less than 5 minutes of listening!) ... I can immediately tell that I like the tonal balance on the GH1 much better than the RS2e.  I personally find the RS2e too bright & fatiguing without the tape mod and/or a few dB of "tilt" EQ to bring the treble down.

Once I get a few hours of listening in, I'll post more comments about the differences between these two.

Jul 22, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #26,699 of 65,667

I don't know, I kind of appreciate the minimal packaging.  Once I take the phones out, the box goes in the closet until it's time to sell. I've tried many of the hot planars lately and they all have very elaborate packaging that just seems a little silly and has to add quite a bit to the cost.  For example, I recently bought and returned the Oppo PM-1 which had a huge outer box and glossy wood box that was so heavy I could hardly carry it the mile walk from the store back home and had to add at least $150.00 to the cost.  Unfortunately, the headphones sounded pretty lousy to me so it was almost like the packaging was a diversion. The grado box adequately protects the phones and doesn't take up much room.

I agree on the packaging - if the cost savings are going into a better piece of gear.  I'd like to see a slightly nicer carton - $5 or $10 to make the packaging a bit more special would be worth it, if only for the collector value on a limited edition product.

The lack of a serial number, especially on a limited edition, is baffling to me though.  It makes me question the attention to detail, or if I were a little more cynical, whether they are intentionally trying to hide the quantity produced. 
confused_face(1).gif

Jul 22, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #26,700 of 65,667

I agree on the packaging - if the cost savings are going into a better piece of gear.  I'd like to see a slightly nicer carton - $5 or $10 to make the packaging a bit more special would be worth it, if only for the collector value on a limited edition product.

The lack of a serial number, especially on a limited edition, is baffling to me though.  It makes me question the attention to detail, or if I were a little more cynical, whether they are intentionally trying to hide the quantity produced. 
confused_face(1).gif

I'm cynical like that too...the lack of serial number is very strange, given that all of their regular run from the rs2 up gets one.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back