Grado Fan Club!
Jul 21, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #26,671 of 65,608
I received the GH-1's this evening and we all already know what they look like, so I'll get right to the point.
I was surprised with the fact that their supposed to be in-between the RS2e/RS1e which are "Reference" series and although the GH-1's are "Heritage" series, the box says "Signature" series? I'm just pointing this out, not complaining at all, this is totally irrelevant to their sound. Listening to Smooth/Lounge/Chill/Contemporary Jazz through my MBP (ALAC) > Rega> WA6 (Brimar-5Z4G/NU-6F8G's,  being I usually listen to my RS1i's with this combo. From the second I pressed play these sounded good right out of the box, very good. They have a nice warm/full bodied sound and a well balanced frequency range and L/R balance, with nice detail/separation/sound-stage. These are showing immediate/initial signs of a potentially very, very, very enjoyable HP. I'll keep you posted along the way to sufficient burn-in.
beerchug.gif

Jul 21, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #26,672 of 65,608
I received the GH-1's this evening and we all already know what they look like, so I'll get right to the point.
I was surprised with the fact that their supposed to be in-between the RS2e/RS1e which are "Reference" series and although the GH-1's are "Heritage" series, the box says "Signature" series? I'm just pointing this out, not complaining at all, this is totally irrelevant to their sound. Listening to Smooth/Lounge/Chill/Contemporary Jazz through my MBP (ALAC) > Rega> WA6 (Brimar-5Z4G/NU-6F8G's,  being I usually listen to my RS1i's with this combo. From the second I pressed play these sounded good right out of the box, very good. They have a nice warm/full bodied sound and a well balanced frequency range and L/R balance, with nice detail/separation/sound-stage. These are showing immediate/initial signs of a potentially very, very, very enjoyable HP. I'll keep you posted along the way to sufficient burn-in.
:beerchug:

Very good, agree totally.

Jul 21, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #26,673 of 65,608
beerchug.gif

Vindication! :wink:
I've been eagerly awaiting your impressions. Glad to see I wasn't just "hearing things". :wink: The more I listen, the more I enjoy these things. 
beerchug.gif

Jul 21, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #26,674 of 65,608
Originally Posted by joseph69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

These are showing immediate/initial signs of a potentially very, very, very enjoyable HP. I'll keep you posted along the way to sufficient burn-in.
beerchug.gif

How about initial impression of Female Vocals... which one is better so far? the GH-1 or your rs1i?

Jul 21, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #26,675 of 65,608
beerchug.gif

Congratutz on them :)
An excellent report.
Appreciate the comments.
beerchug.gif

Jul 22, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #26,676 of 65,608

Originally Posted by joseph69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

These are showing immediate/initial signs of a potentially very, very, very enjoyable HP. I'll keep you posted along the way to sufficient burn-in.
beerchug.gif

How about initial impression of Female Vocals... which one is better so far? the GH-1 or your rs1i?

LoL...Give the man some time to burn them in
L3000.gif

Jul 22, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #26,678 of 65,608
beerchug.gif

Cool...thanks for the update. How is the treble compared to your RS1i? That's where I had the biggest issues with the RS1e.

Jul 22, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #26,679 of 65,608
The comparisons request so far
1. Worms by xlr8 - rs1 v gh1
2. Joseph by rovopio & Macedonian- rs1i v gh1

:)

Jul 22, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #26,680 of 65,608

I haven't listened to vocals as of yet, only instruments, as soon as I do I'll let you know. 
smile.gif

Congratutz on them :)
An excellent report.
Appreciate the comments.
beerchug.gif

Thank you very much!
beerchug.gif

Vindication! :wink:
I've been eagerly awaiting your impressions. Glad to see I wasn't just "hearing things". :wink:
The more I listen, the more I enjoy these things. 
beerchug.gif

No, you aren't just hearing things. 
smile.gif

Very good, agree totally.

beerchug.gif

Cool...thanks for the update. How is the treble compared to your RS1i? That's where I had the biggest issues with the RS1e.

Your very welcome.
As of right now the treble is just right…you can absolutely hear it clearly but it is more refined than the RS1i. From all of the comments about the RS1e's treble, I understand the issue with it was that there pretty much was none…this is definitely not the case with the GH-1.
beerchug.gif

Jul 22, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #26,682 of 65,608
The GH-1's have a very healthy low and mid-bass…I think they have the perfect amount to fill in the mid-range sweetly, it is neither overwhelming or lacking in any way what so ever, and this is after only listening to them for about an hour and a half. To be quite honest, I think this is what the RS1e was supposed to sound like. I'm only saying this from reading the RS1e comments, keep in mind I've never heard them for myself.

Jul 22, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #26,683 of 65,608
This from TTVJ page

Grado GH-1 Headphone
The Grado GH-1 headphone is the newest creation from Grado Labs. The first in the Grado Heritage series, the GH-1 is made from a maple tree cut down in Brooklyn, NY and purchased by John and his son Jonathan. Maple has long been an audiophile favorite for a wood of choice. And it not only looks very nice but also sounds great with the GH-1. The GH-1 is also a limited edition – you can only get some many ear cups out of one tree…
The GH-1 comes with a black leather headband and the Grado L Cushions. It is terminated with a 1/8” mini jack on a 6 ft. cable with a supplied ¼” adapter. They are lightweight and comfortable.
But most importantly they sound very good. The bottom end is tight and delivers impact. Listening to Donald Fagen’s Morph The Cat shows off its bass capabilities. The bass is recorded deep and impactful with good definition and that shows up in the GH-1s.
The mids are smooth and sweet. Vocals flow effortlessly – both male and female. And the highs are detailed without being bright. There is no harsh in the GH-1 - instruments are easily singled out as are vocals – even in complex passages.
There is a lot to like about the GH-1! I can listen to these phones for hours comfortably and fatigue free. They look good, feel good and sound great.
Expect 50-100 hours of break in but I thought they were pretty darn good straight out of the box.
Grado Labs has made some great headphones over the years and the GH-1 will long be remembered as one of those that stand out as special.

Jul 22, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #26,684 of 65,608

Just received the GH1's today as well.  These are night and day when compared against the RS1e drivers... the latter just sounding muffled and veiled--no competition.

Compared to my PS500s.. the GH1 are definitely brighter (but not 325 shrilly), vocals have more texture and definition.  Soundstage feels similar to the PS500, but instrument separation is definitely more pronounced.  Bass seems on par.  Between the two, the PS500 is slightly more laid back, the GH1 more aggressive.

I'm surprised they sound this good right out of the box--time to start breaking them in!  Got a lot of listening ahead to do...
L3000.gif

Jul 22, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #26,685 of 65,608
Congratutz hfhimeka,

Appreciate the time to compare and reply.
Interesting that the bass is on par with ps500.

Keep the feedback going...

L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back