Grado Fan Club!
Oct 24, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #19,396 of 65,638
  Back in the Grado club after a couple years out. Got myself the SR80e and am really enjoying the ride, although the listen isn't as strident up top as I thought it would be, but then I had the SR325 back in the day so that may explain it. I also had the SR60 as well but I didn't keep it for long since I moved up to the mentioned SR325 quickly after lol.

Bit dissapointed that the cable (more so the outer covering) above the y-split is still the way it is, but oh well. Anyone here upgraded the headband? I'm thinking of getting a leather one from Turbulent Labs, seen two vids on how to make the swap, but noticed that the metal band doesn't seem to be re-glued once everything is done. I guess the cup stays in place without the need to re-glue? 

Swapping headbands is very easy, even I could do it! You don't need to reglue. 

Oct 24, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #19,397 of 65,638
  Back in the Grado club after a couple years out. Got myself the SR80e and am really enjoying the ride, although the listen isn't as strident up top as I thought it would be, but then I had the SR325 back in the day so that may explain it. I also had the SR60 as well but I didn't keep it for long since I moved up to the mentioned SR325 quickly after lol.

Bit dissapointed that the cable (more so the outer covering) above the y-split is still the way it is, but oh well. Anyone here upgraded the headband? I'm thinking of getting a leather one from Turbulent Labs, seen two vids on how to make the swap, but noticed that the metal band doesn't seem to be re-glued once everything is done. I guess the cup stays in place without the need to re-glue? 

If you want, just put a dab of hot glue in the rod block…this way you can always heat it up if you ever want to take the headband off or what ever, and it will be secured nicely!

Sorry they didn't work out for you, buddy.  I still can't take mine off, I love them so much. On the other hand, while I think they are the Grado of planars, they aren't Grado's, and that's a fact. It says a lot about Grado!

In the meantime, I have finally decided to put and keep the Burson into my main rig, and use the Magni in the bedroom.

Oh, and I ordered the Alpha Prime upgrade for the Alpha Dogs.  I think I am approaching the end of this part of the game.

Thank swpiers, its probably just me…I'm too use to and love the Grado sound. But I did want to try a driver with a different design too hear the difference, but like I said, I wouldn't be able to tell you if it was a dynamic/planar/electrostatic…my ears would only tell me if I liked them or not.
Glad that you are enjoying them! Didn't know you were going to sell the Burson?
Whats the Alpha Prime Upgrade?

Oct 24, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #19,399 of 65,638
The yellow HD414 pad material feels a bit smoother than the stock pads. More of a comfort mod than anything (imo), especially if you're going to be quartermodding the pads.

Oct 24, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #19,400 of 65,638

Thank you both for the replies. I've always enjoyed my Grados stock, bar rolling pads, so was looking for some clarification. I've actually done a bit of hard-modding on some Superluxes (mainly recabling) so getting my hands dirty with headphones isn't too foreign to me, but again I've never done anything away from rolling pads on the Grados. Never tried the HD414 pads though...they worth a shout?

Try the Grado (L) cushions on the 80e, IMO they sound the best with them.

Oct 24, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #19,402 of 65,638

Yeah I think I'll pick these up to give a try, especially since they're not that expensive. At the very least if I find them to be on par with the standard comfies, I'd still be happy with them just for the colour contrast. Thanks.

Quote:

I remember trying the TTVJ flats and the G-cushions on the SR325 and went back to the L-cushions in the end. Since I'm curious about the HD414 pads and also thinking about getting a Turbulent Labs headband, trying out some L-cushions wouldn't go amiss either. Would make sense to get them all at once. Thanks.

Thats what I did, I picked them up at the same time with the exception of the HD-414 pads because I stamped out the same diameter of the driver side of the (S) cushions. In the end I preferred the (L) cushions on all of my models with the exception of the PS1K's which use the (G) cushions of course.

Oct 25, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #19,403 of 65,638
heavy rotation this morning, the blues !

Oct 25, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #19,404 of 65,638
  heavy rotation this morning, the blues !

Count me in on this wonderful rotation   
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #19,405 of 65,638
after a day and a half of lcd2 time, its grado time !   
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #19,408 of 65,638

Are the LCD2's staying?

i believe so, for a while anyway, when the beyer gets back from being modded, that may change things a bit, one of them may be expendable
i'm lusting after this new beauty for the good dr peppard !!

Sidewinder%20Profile.jpg

Oct 25, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #19,409 of 65,638
I hope you go for that....I really want to hear a review  
smile.gif

Oct 25, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #19,410 of 65,638
Jay got me in the mood for some Jeff Healey today...
beerchug.gif

It has been a wonderful saturday morning.  I miss Jeff Healey, dearly.

Edited...for one more  
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back