Grado Fan Club!
Oct 24, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #19,381 of 65,636
Never personally tried them, but the Woo Audio WA6 and MAD Ear+ gets a lot of love from the Grado afficionados

$2500.00 is your preference, but thats a lot of money!
You can get a WA6 and the tubes you like for a lot less and be extremely happy IMO/IME for both the 325is/RS1i. :wink:  

I read a post by @Justin_Time
 on one of the Grado threads comparing some high end amps, and in the end prefered the much cheaper MAD Ear + for his Grados...

the chord hugo is a portable dac/amp, and i've not heard it, but if that's your budget, there are a lot of choices. 
the thing with grado's, is they are so easy to drive, such an easy load for an amp, that while they can respond well with more expensive gear
its hardly "needed" 
i've had the mad ear+ hd, i got used for under $500, a wa6 for about the same, and as joseph, and others have said they are OUTSTANDING!
on the solid state side, i've used a burson soloist i got used for $650-$700, and the bryston bha-1 i got for under $1000
me personally, out of the ones i've mentioned, the mad ear+ hd was the best , closely followed by the wa6, and i did have the ear+ hd much longer than the woo, and i didn't roll any tubes on the woo

Thanks for all the comments. Looks like mad ear+ or wa6.

What attracted me to the Hugo is that its integrated (dac+amp). iDSD micro piques my interest as well. I'm planning to sell off all my desktop and portable DACs have 4...lol), so just one Hugo is a lot more convenient. And it's a portable amp too. The Chord DACs are quite astonishing DACs for speakers, so I've been longing for that for a long time. I'm a speakers guy for a long time, and still is, and don't want to give that up, it's still my "main" sound. In fact reason why I'm into Grados is bec to my ears they're the most similar to speakers (at least my speakers). Also don't want changes in "sound" (different DACs for speakers vs HP); hence my interest to Hugo and iDSD micro.

But yeah, those tube amps seems worthy for a test! The WA7 Fireflies are quite respected in speakers hifi too.

Oct 24, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #19,382 of 65,636
  The 400i v. 500 comparo is up.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/739637/new-school-vs-old-school-a-comparison-of-the-hifiman-he400i-and-he500

very nice write up joe !

Oct 24, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #19,383 of 65,636
Thanks for all the comments. Looks like mad ear+ or wa6.

What attracted me to the Hugo is that its integrated (dac+amp). iDSD micro piques my interest as well. I'm planning to sell off all my desktop and portable DACs have 4...lol), so just one Hugo is a lot more convenient. And it's a portable amp too. The Chord DACs are quite astonishing DACs for speakers, so I've been longing for that for a long time. I'm a speakers guy for a long time, and still is, and don't want to give that up, it's still my "main" sound. In fact reason why I'm into Grados is bec to my ears they're the most similar to speakers (at least my speakers). Also don't want changes in "sound". Hence my interest to Hugo and iDSD micro.

But yeah, those tube amps seems worthy for a test! The WA7 Fireflies are quite respected in speakers hifi too.

i've had the wa7 too, its very good too, and very cool to look at !

Oct 24, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #19,384 of 65,636
I've just bought a like new Grado Sr125i at 120 USD. Coming from my tiny, mere-2-months experience with decent headphones (I bought a 2nd hand Sennheiser HD239 and Nocs Ns400 just 2 weeks before, long before that is a trail of garbage headphones that many of you may have never heard of), this is a great buy. But I would still like to hear some of your more serious listeners's opinions on the value of this can. Thanks!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #19,385 of 65,636
Here is a brief impression on the HE-400i…keep in mind that I'm not a reviewer, so this is just a short simple impression.
So I have given up on the HE-400i, not that it is a bad sounding headphone (at all) but I much prefer the sound of my 325is's at $200.00 less compared to the 400i. I wanted to hear what a planar HP sounded like out of curiosity compared to a dynamic HP, and have come to the conclusion that it really doesn't matter to me what type of design the driver is as long as I like the sound of the HP. I really would never be able to  tell you if I was listening to a planar or dynamic, and thats being honest with both you/me, so the driver design would have no impression on me at all, as long as it sound good too me. The 400i is a nice sounding HP right out of the box, with a nice sub-bass, and I did like treble on the HP also…but I really didn't care for the mid-range much, especially with vocals, they just didn't sound realistic/natural too me, and the mid-range is most important too me. I also didn't care for the comfort either…I knew there was something on my head, as compared to any of my Grado's which I don't feel at all, yes even my PS1K. I also like the simpleness of the Grado much more as far as taking them on/off your head, and also when their not in use they conveniently lay flat without any tension, where as the 400i seemed like a bear trap to me when taking on/off my head and trying to lay the flat down.
It all comes down to a matter of preference, and also what you are use too, so I'm definitely used to the Grado sound and love it…so this is just my experience/opinion/preference…I guess I just love that Grado sound!!! 
wink.gif

Oct 24, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #19,386 of 65,636

Thank you Text, will check it out. I can swing the $500-ish range. I've read good things about the Dacport LX, could pair with a decent amp. Going used can open up options.

I had the Dacport (not the LX version) and iFi Nano IDSD is better to my ears. You also have the iFi Micro IDSD which has a very powerful amp as well and cost 500. 

Oct 24, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #19,387 of 65,636
  its a tough call, i haven't been able to compare the lcd2f to the 560, i was able to hear the pre fazor lcd 2 and the 560 briefly at the nashville meet
while the 560 is a great headphone, i just generally prefer the audeze sound i believe. 
the 560 has something going on in the treble i occasionally hear that bothers me , a little bite.
i love the bass on the 560, its very tight. 
i think the thing for me, the audeze doesn't have any issues that i can pick out and say "i don't like that"
where the 560 has that one little thing, others are just the opposite from me, the love the 560, and are not so hot on the lcd.
how's that for a non committal answer ?? lol

Thanks Jay-at CAF-very briefly for the $ my takeaway was the LCD2f was my favorite in that price range. But the 560 was pretty sweet, too. Something about the overall presentation I liked of the cd2f, tho.

Oct 24, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #19,388 of 65,636

Thanks Jay-at CAF-very briefly for the $ my takeaway was the LCD2f was my favorite in that price range. But the 560 was pretty sweet, too. Something about the overall presentation I liked of the cd2f, tho.

the lcd's have a way of immersing me into the music, they get out of the way, they let me connect to the music emotionally , like grado's do, just in a different way
and i'm sure the HFM headphones do that for other people, i do enjoy the 560, i just like the lcd2 and X more

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #19,389 of 65,636
  Here is a brief impression on the HE-400i…keep in mind that I'm not a reviewer, so this is just a short simple impression.
So I have given up on the HE-400i, not that it is a bad sounding headphone (at all) but I much prefer the sound of my 325is's at $200.00 less compared to the 400i. I wanted to hear what a planar HP sounded like out of curiosity compared to a dynamic HP, and have come to the conclusion that it really doesn't matter to me what type of design the driver is as long as I like the sound of the HP. I really would never be able to  tell you if I was listening to a planar or dynamic, and thats being honest with both you/me, so the driver design would have no impression on me at all, as long as it sound good too me. The 400i is a nice sounding HP right out of the box, with a nice sub-bass, and I did like treble on the HP also…but I really didn't care for the mid-range much, especially with vocals, they just didn't sound realistic/natural too me, and the mid-range is most important too me. I also didn't care for the comfort either…I knew there was something on my head, as compared to any of my Grado's which I don't feel at all, yes even my PS1K. I also like the simpleness of the Grado much more as far as taking them on/off your head, and also when their not in use they conveniently lay flat without any tension, where as the 400i seemed like a bear trap to me when taking on/off my head and trying to lay the flat down.
It all comes down to a matter of preference, and also what you are use too, so I'm definitely used to the Grado sound and love it…so this is just my experience/opinion/preference…I guess I just love that Grado sound!!! 
wink.gif

I could not agree with you more.  I have a HE-400 connected to a modi/magni.  Like you said the sub-bass is really nice.  But something does sound missing.  The setup just doesnt do it for me.   I am thinking about selling the HE-400 because I get almost no use out of them.  I use my RS1e for everything now.  Love pairing them my little dot i+.  I even plug these suckers directly into my ipad and even my ps4 controler. I cant believe how good they sound.  

Oct 24, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #19,390 of 65,636

I had the Dacport (not the LX version) and iFi Nano IDSD is better to my ears. You also have the iFi Micro IDSD which has a very powerful amp as well and cost 500. 

Wow, an impressive review for the iDSD here: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0914/ifi_audio_micro_idsd_dac_headphone_amplifier.htm.  I'm not familiar with their products other than seeing them here and there. More tech than I need, but as stated, who knows what the future holds. I have to say, this doesn't seem to come up short compared to larger desktop models. Curious to read how it stands up to other models, found a nice thread here on Head-fi.

As an aside, I had read that the Dacport LX sounds a fair bit better than the regular. For some reason, removing the amp makes a good difference, according to reviews (no experience with either). For portables, I've mainly looked at the Ray Samuels products, like the Predator. Good reviews as well, but that for the Micro IDSD is one of the most positive reviews I've read (though I still have no idea what DSD is, more reading...), as are review for the CEntrance DACMini CX.

Cheers.

Oct 24, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #19,391 of 65,636

Oct 24, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #19,392 of 65,636

Wow, an impressive review for the iDSD here: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0914/ifi_audio_micro_idsd_dac_headphone_amplifier.htm.  I'm not familiar with their products other than seeing them here and there. More tech than I need, but as stated, who knows what the future holds. I have to say, this doesn't seem to come up short compared to larger desktop models. Curious to read how it stands up to other models, found a nice thread here on Head-fi.

As an aside, I had read that the Dacport LX sounds a fair bit better than the regular. For some reason, removing the amp makes a good difference, according to reviews (no experience with either). For portables, I've mainly looked at the Ray Samuels products, like the Predator. Good reviews as well, but that for the Micro IDSD is one of the most positive reviews I've read (though I still have no idea what DSD is, more reading...), as are review for the CEntrance DACMini CX.

Cheers.

Yes, very nice products and the amp in the iFi Micro will work great with planars as well :) I will trade in the Nano for the Micro if I run into some money for sure. 

Oct 24, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #19,393 of 65,636

I could not agree with you more.  I have a HE-400 connected to a modi/magni.  Like you said the sub-bass is really nice.  But something does sound missing.  The setup just doesnt do it for me.   I am thinking about selling the HE-400 because I get almost no use out of them.  I use my RS1e for everything now.  Love pairing them my little dot i+.  I even plug these suckers directly into my ipad and even my ps4 controler. I cant believe how good they sound.  

At first listen I used the M/M combo…but then I used the Lyr after that for about 20hrs, and just missed the Grado sound. I started out with the 400i last night for about 1 hr, then I had to put my Grados on...and what a real nice difference IMO, I can't even listen to the 400i's anymore.
I'm just waiting for an RMA # from HFM.

Oct 24, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #19,395 of 65,636
  At first listen I used the M/M combo…but then I used the Lyr after that for about 20hrs, and just missed the Grado sound. I started out with the 400i last night for about 1 hr, then I had to put my Grados on...and what a real nice difference IMO, I can't even listen to the 400i's anymore.
I'm just waiting for an RMA # from HFM.

Sorry they didn't work out for you, buddy.  I still can't take mine off, I love them so much. On the other hand, while I think they are the Grado of planars, they aren't Grado's, and that's a fact. It says a lot about Grado!

In the meantime, I have finally decided to put and keep the Burson into my main rig, and use the Magni in the bedroom.

Oh, and I ordered the Alpha Prime upgrade for the Alpha Dogs.  I think I am approaching the end of this part of the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back