Grado Fan Club!
Aug 4, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #17,551 of 65,649
  Just made an offer on a brand new pair of PS1K's to Stereo Design in CA…waiting for a reply.
BTW, I feel like that guy…I think he goes by the name jaywillin, but not sure. 
biggrin.gif

moi ??

Aug 4, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #17,552 of 65,649
  Just made an offer on a brand new pair of PS1K's to Stereo Design in CA…waiting for a reply.
BTW, I feel like that guy…I think he goes by the name jaywillin, but not sure. 
biggrin.gif

if i had the cash, i'd make an offer myself, but the gs1Ke is waving the banner high !
i'm really digging the gs"e"s

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #17,553 of 65,649

if i had the cash, i'd make an offer myself, but the gs1Ke is waving the banner high !
i'm really digging the gs"e"

Yep, you!
Congratulations on the GS's!
I was a bit confused until I read a post of yours saying that you purchased the GS's…I thought you were in the TTVJ loaner program, but then read you backed out.
Enjoy them!
beerchug.gif

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #17,554 of 65,649

It may only be my experience with my music and ears but I found the PS1000 to be a large step up from the RS1i in terms of transparency. (for reference: DC-1 DAC, MAD Ear+ amp)

The RS1i do an excellent job of sounding live and have great energetic upper mids but when I compared some male vocals in acoustic recordings side by side the PS1000 sounded more transparent. More details and clarity and the singers sounded more “real” and less like a recording.

The RS1i had more energy and vibrancy which we may all expect with the big 2kHz bump, but the PS1000 - beyond a mere frequency response tilt or difference in soundstage - did a better job of fooling me that a real human being was singing in front of me. I was surprised at the difference, honestly. 

Again, may just be me. But if you do make a deal for those PS1000, I think you’ll be very happy with them. I’m continuously surprised at how good they can be.

It BETTER BE, for triple the price of RS1i !!

Still, the LCD-2 at half the price, kicks the PS1Ki's tail by a mile. Compared the two last year. Not a really fair comparison, planar magnetic vs. coil driver.
Actually prefer the PS500 vs. PS1Ki. imo, the 500 gives me 80% of the 1Ki at 1/3 the price. Not kidding. IMO.
wink_face.gif

Cheers,

Interesting.  I'm one of the people who tried the Audez'e when they first came out.  I was shocked at the great sub-bass and really disappointed with the HF.  I can't think of any Grado that I wouldn't rather have than the LCD-2.  

We all hear differently and this is an old argument.

I like solo classical piano and I found the PS500 to be just a little too warm below middle C.  The 325is was more neutral in that range, for me.

To other posters, I think the G-Cush is responsible for a lot of the transparency of the PS1000 over the RS1i.  When you spread the soundstage, you hear more clarity.   

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #17,555 of 65,649
The reason I like the LCD2 is because it sounds so different from Grados. I make a point to try and buy headphones that have as little in common as possible.  There really aren't many headphones that I really don't like.  The exception might be the HE400.

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #17,556 of 65,649
Does anyone have any experience with the igrado?

It's listed at $49, which is tempting since I can save $30 compared to the SR60e. Are they very similar in sound signature/quality or is the 60e have significantly better sound quality?

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #17,557 of 65,649
  The reason I like the LCD2 is because it sounds so different from Grados. I make a point to try and buy headphones that have as little in common as possible.  There really aren't many headphones that I really don't like.  The exception might be the HE400.

+1 +1 +1.  No point owning headphones that sound alike. I'm with ya, bro.
beerchug.gif

Aug 4, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #17,558 of 65,649

+1 +1 +1.  No point owning headphones that sound alike. I'm with ya, bro.
beerchug.gif

No point in owning headphones I don't like.
regular_smile .gif

Aug 4, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #17,559 of 65,649
Yes, I've already owned the PS1K, so I know exactly how they sound compared to the RS1i…but I don't believe they are a large step up from the RS, just different, in fact the RS vocals sounded more life like too me, not that the PS's didn't…but we all do hear differently.
:beerchug:
Joseph, IMO the PS1K's are a technically better hp, but they're not as fun and engaging. There's less head bobbing and neck swivelling with the PS1's. In listening to George Bensons rendering of "How Do You Keep The Music Playing", which is a very challenging chart with at least three dozen musicians, from his album "Big Boss Benson" I can hear the individual instruments much better with the PS1's, but the recording sounded more alive when I listened with the RS1's. Besides if you start dancing with the PS1's on your head they'll fly right across the room.

Aug 4, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #17,560 of 65,649
Joseph, IMO the PS1K's are a technically better hp, but they're not as fun and engaging. There's less head bobbing and neck swivelling with the PS1's. In listening to George Bensons rendering of "How Do You Keep The Music Playing", which is a very challenging chart with at least three dozen musicians, from his album "Big Boss Benson" I can hear the individual instruments much better with the PS1's, but the recording sounded more alive when I listened with the RS1's. Besides if you start dancing with the PS1's on your head they'll fly right across the room.

Definitely agree…the RS sound more life like/realistic!
The engaging sound signature makes me feel like I'm with the musicians.

Aug 4, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #17,561 of 65,649
I've been listening a lot with my AD2000X and HE-4 lately. Switched to the 225i and I can see now why people can find them bright. I was quite surprised. They were bordering on too bright with the LD1+. The WA6 was better but my e10 sounded best. I guess I have to do some Grado ear training.

Aug 4, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #17,562 of 65,649
I've been listening a lot with my AD2000X and HE-4 lately. Switched to the 225i and I can see now why people can find them bright. I was quite surprised. They were bordering on too bright with the LD1+. The WA6 was better but my e10 sounded best. I guess I have to do some Grado ear training.
What tubes are you using in your WA6? I only ask because it really affects the sound.

Aug 5, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #17,565 of 65,649
Fat bottle 6FD7 and a Rogers Canada 5U4G rectifier. I've tried a couple different rectifiers I'm not convinced I hear any difference. I personally don't understand how a rectifier can affect the tone...

I found the "fat bottle" GE 6FD7's to be a bit ear piercing at times. but does sound good over all.
I also feel the driver/power tubes have a much bigger impact on the sound…but the rectifier tubes is a big part of the whole equation in my experience with the WA6/WA6-SE.

bp, what tubes can u rec for my WA6? Using stock. Rollin' ain't my thing, but I keep an open mind (and wallet).
thx.

Try some 6SN7's, theyr'e my favorite, but you might feel different. Its a nice full/rich sounding tube with a beautiful mid-range.You will need 6SN7>6DE7 adapters from Woo to use them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back