Grado Fan Club!
Aug 3, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #17,506 of 65,654
^^^^ Glad too hear these words make you feel better!
I misread your post, now I understand. I'll keep an eye out for some vintage RS1's.
beerchug.gif

Aug 3, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #17,507 of 65,654
Thanks to everyone weighing in on the 60e vs 80e question. My purchase seems straightforward now. BTW, does anyone know if the black sheep of the line, igrado's, have been updated with the new red drivers? Should they be re-labeled egrado's if so? :)

Aug 3, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #17,508 of 65,654
I don't expect to be floored a second time by the RS1, at least, not to the same level that I have been back in 2004, I do hope that they bring something new to the table, something that will have me reach for them, from time to time.

Aug 4, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #17,510 of 65,654
also sorry but on the i series headphones, how do you tell them apart visually? the e series say so on the button but my 225i's look just like 225s

Long, round earcups of i series on the left; short, flat earcups of original series on the right.

Aug 4, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #17,512 of 65,654
  Here's some morning music to get you started the right way!

Worms....you sure know how to push my buttons.....
biggrin.gif

Wonderful selections!

@ stacker....if I see the classic RS1 in the b/s/t/ forum....I will pm you.

Hang in there each and every day, my friend.

Aug 4, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #17,513 of 65,654
Long, round earcups of i series on the left; short, flat earcups of original series on the right.

Different cups, differente sound, or isn't the SR60s driver refined enough to sound different on plastic housing?

@CanadianMaestro Not a lot of Stravinsky on my collection (I have a back log of over 500 CDs of Classical to churn...) but that driving story is a great recommendation on my book! I'll certainly take a look at that :)

Aug 4, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #17,514 of 65,654
Different cups, different sound, or isn't the SR60s driver refined enough to sound different on plastic housing?

I'm not sure I fully understood the question. They sound slightly different but I don't know for sure if the difference results from changes in the design of the driver. One could easily test it by swapping drivers.

Aug 4, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #17,515 of 65,654
@stacker45, i too suffer from a very, very pain disease, music helps me get through the day at times !
stay positive , grateful, and if i'm able to do that, it makes it so much easier !

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #17,516 of 65,654
@stacker45 and @jaywillin, sorry to hear about your pain guys. For what it's worth, I'm sure a bunch of us here wish you the best in dealing with your pain, and are here for you (in Grado fan club-land
biggrin.gif
).

Quote:
  Joseph, xaval, you guys may find this hard to believe,  but it's kind words of encouragement such as yours, that give me the energy to fight this thing.on a day to day basis. Also,  when a music lover is not only  listening to music that he likes, but also sounds good, and is listening to it in a calm comfortable environment, the brain realeases endorphins and dopamin, both of wich, as you might already know, are natural painkillers. Of course, this is also the case for healthy peoples, in wich case, the state of well beeing is even higher since the the body isn't using the substance to fight pain.                                                                                                                                                         

Ok joe!, the reason I'm looking for some old RS1 is simply because like I said in my post, I did not care for the ''i'' version's sound, and from what I've read, they're doesn't seem to be much difference between the ''i'' and the ''e'', Also, I remember being floored by the first gen RS1, so if you see, or hear something please let me know.

xaval, thanks for clarifying your opinion regarding the PS500, as I have said many times before the PS500

*snip

I'm in the same boat when it comes to the Rs1i. I did not like it. There was something that was making it a bit painful to listen to. For me, the older Rs1 with buttons is the way to go. Also, just for the record, I have owned 2 pairs of Rs1 with buttons, and 2 pairs of Rs1i, and have come to the same conclusion, Rs1i is a no go for me!

Worms....you sure know how to push my buttons.....
biggrin.gif

Wonderful selections!

@ stacker....if I see the classic RS1 in the b/s/t/ forum....I will pm you.

Hang in there each and every day, my friend.

Thanks ww! I am always waiting to see what you and jay have in store for us, you guys never disappoint! KEEP ROCKIN'!

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #17,517 of 65,654
I'm not sure I fully understood the question. They sound slightly different but I don't know for sure if the difference results from changes in the design of the driver. One could easily test it by swapping drivers.

I was implying that they should sound different, somehow, due to the different cup design. This, assuming the drivers are the same (which I think is not the case anyway). Grado is known to evolve the drivers within the same can design and not say much if anything about it.

Aug 4, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #17,518 of 65,654
For those that have tested/owned the PS500e: what do you consider it's less expensive sibling in the Grado/Allessandro lineup? I gave the MS2 (new e version driver) a try, but didn't hit the spot. Any recommendations?

Aug 4, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #17,519 of 65,654
And one more question: what would you consider the closest sound signature match for a closed phone of the upper grado lines (I realize there is a fair amount of variation in "upper", so nuance would be great. For example: PS500 = X, RS1i = Y). Thanks! I've done a lot looking around and seems like the HP50 might be a good pairing but looking to get some additional feedback from those that have had more experience with them.

Currently using a AKG k271 MKii w Schiit Vali and Fiio E7 (as DAC) at work but have fallen in love with the PS500e and want to get a closed can that more closely resembles that sound for use @ work/travel.

Aug 4, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #17,520 of 65,654
And one more question: what would you consider the closest sound signature match for a closed phone of the upper grado lines (I realize there is a fair amount of variation in "upper", so nuance would be great. For example: PS500 = X, RS1i = Y). Thanks! I've done a lot looking around and seems like the HP50 might be a good pairing but looking to get some additional feedback from those that have had more experience with them.

Currently using a AKG k271 MKii w Schiit Vali and Fiio E7 (as DAC) at work but have fallen in love with the PS500e and want to get a closed can that more closely resembles that sound for use @ work/travel.
the closest thing to the PS500 that I have heard is the SRH1540. in my opinion it is better than the PS500 in every way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back