Grado Fan Club!
Jul 25, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #17,251 of 65,970
Jul 25, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #17,252 of 65,970
RS1i's make this song sound sooooo good:

Jul 25, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #17,253 of 65,970
  Here we go!

didn't really get to listen yesterday,sinuses f'ed up, better today, so far,very nice, detail, detail, detail
not harsh

Jul 25, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #17,255 of 65,970
Has anyone owned the rs1i and rs2i ...ive got the rs2i and am wondering what the difference is between them...??..and if the rs1 would be a upgrade.

Welcome to Head-Fi, and congratulations on the RS21's!
This was the reason I went straight to the RS1i, so I didn't have to wonder, otherwise I would have drove myself nuts! To ease your mind, some like the RS2 better than the RS1…they say the RS2 is a bit mellower than the RS1, although I've never heard them.

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #17,256 of 65,970
I can't claim to have "owned" but have demoed the RS2e and RS1i and e. For what it's worth, here's how I stack them up:
RS1i > RS2e > RS1e

I'll add an additional complication into the mix in a second (the PS500e), but for now here's the short order:
- RS1i: clean, liquid, bold, upfront, fun, airy
- RS2e: a little bit less of everything above with almost purposeful taming of the upper upper end, with notable dropoff in both air and bass extension
- RS1e: same sound signature, and perhaps even cleaner upper frequency (but still fun and engaging) but the fit is totally different! The housings for the drivers stick out of the L-cushs into your ears. People have strong feelings about grado on-ear fit as is, but these just were not well done.

I was torn between RS2e and RS1i, but decided to also test out the PS500e. Same overall price range (500-700), and had everything I loved about the RS2e with a bit more of the airiness and bass from the RS1i.

Overall, I'm still torn between RS1i and PS500e. They're good for slightly different reasons and at the end of the day it's a personal choice. The PS500e have a "fuller" feel that comes largely from a boosted lower end and slightly tapered upper range. Everything also just sounds a bit more "silky" but in a good way with solid separation. The RS1i are a bit sparkier and cleaner on the low end with a more realistic bass that works well across a broader spectrum of music than the 500e.

Anyway, if you're looking in this market, I'd recommend checking out the 500e and RS1i. You'll be extremely happy with one of them.

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #17,257 of 65,970
- RS1e: same sound signature, and perhaps even cleaner upper frequency (but still fun and engaging) but the fit is totally different! The housings for the drivers stick out of the L-cushs into your ears. People have strong feelings about grado on-ear fit as is, but these just were not well done.

It's good to have this potential problem confirmed . . . well, not good but . . . it's another data point, so thanks.

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #17,258 of 65,970
Welcome!
Nice quick review/opinion on these headphones!
Quote:
I can't claim to have "owned" but have demoed the RS2e and RS1i and e. For what it's worth, here's how I stack them up:
RS1i > RS2e > RS1e

I'll add an additional complication into the mix in a second (the PS500e), but for now here's the short order:
- RS2e: a little bit less of everything above with almost purposeful taming of the upper upper end, with notable dropoff in both air and bass extension

I was torn between RS2e and RS1i, but decided to also test out the PS500e. Same overall price range (500-700), and had everything I loved about the RS2e with a bit more of the airiness and bass from the RS1i.

Overall, I'm still torn between RS1i and PS500e. They're good for slightly different reasons and at the end of the day it's a personal choice. The PS500e have a "fuller" feel that comes largely from a boosted lower end and slightly tapered upper range. Everything also just sounds a bit more "silky" but in a good way with solid separation. The RS1i are a bit sparkier and cleaner on the low end with a more realistic bass that works well across a broader spectrum of music than the 500e.

Anyway, if you're looking in this market, I'd recommend checking out the 500e and RS1i. You'll be extremely happy with one of them.

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #17,259 of 65,970

Do the housings for the drivers on the PS500e stick out as well or are they the same as the non-e model?

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #17,260 of 65,970
I even emailed Grado about the issue - thinking that there was a pad update I missed out in an early release etc. Their response was:
"try bending the headband  out a bit  to adjust the fit on your head ...headband is designed for this
We are sure this will help"

I won't argue about the headband being designed for it, and I really wanted to like them (an improvement on the RS1i!?!) but couldn't get past the fit and ultimately personally prefered the sound of the 500e - just more personal and emotional for my musical tastes (jazz, folk, classical, classic rock). If you want a phone that truly brings out the essence of each instrument and musician you'd be remiss in skipping over the 500e, especially if you're in the market. I can pull out the subtleties of the double reeds, the various timpani's. It's a wonderful experience.

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #17,261 of 65,970
Do the housings for the drivers on the PS500e stick out as well or are they the same as the non-e model?

Nope. The PS500e fit like the RS1i/RS2 e or i. They're definitely heavier, so keep that in mind, but it's still really comfortable at least for me. With the newer 44mm drivers I'm not sure if they'll take the G Cush pads though for those looking to tinker

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #17,262 of 65,970

I use the cheap hair ties my wife gets from walmart... its a ton of them for $3

I put one here around the driver to help keep the edge away from your ears

AND one here

in the channel behind the pad so it doesn't slide all the way back... this keeps the pad forward and in a position close to the old RS1i. Also I noticed the pads were fairly compressed and needed to be freshened... a quick wash in warm water with some shampoo did the trick. To help them dry you should squeeze the water out and let them air dry. This also makes the pads a little softer.

In my pic I have the Grado flat pads on (from Todd the Vinyl Junkie)

Now they fit almost the same as the old RS1i with the L cush

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #17,263 of 65,970
I prefer $700 cans to not need hair-tie fix-ups but appreciate the tip and creativity! Maybe I'm a just a snob

<<EDIT>>
I'll let others decide whether I'm a snob, but I'm both a) a huge fan of simple creative solution and give big props to KVTaco for the solution. It actually has me thinking about re-auditioning an RS1e. I do occassionally find the bass on the PS500e unbecoming - taking up more space on the stage than it should. This is especially true for small acoustic groups - which is a big part of music I listen to.

Jul 26, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #17,265 of 65,970
Apologies for sarcasm not coming across well over here. definitely appreciative of the warm welcome and thoughtful responses (and I was serious about the creativity of the simple mod to make the RS1e more comfortable, but also serious that it would be really nice for Grado to fix)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back