Grado Fan Club!
Jul 2, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #16,547 of 65,615
I couldn't care less where Grados are made. What I do appreciate is the small family business and the handmade aspect of the headphones. Whether that's done in the US, Canada or China doesn't matter.

maybe you have to live outside the us to see grado as an american audio industry treasure. love that this family business has been operating out of the same building in brooklyn for more than 60 years.

Jul 2, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #16,548 of 65,615
Sorry guys for stepping in with much more ordinary questions but I steamed & opened my sr60i yesterday evening on my way to "liberate" the tiny holes but......how do you get the driver out??
I searched on the net and looked over and over at my opened up cans but I can't figure out how to actually take the driver out of the round chamber....!!
frown.gif

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jul 2, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #16,549 of 65,615
  Sorry guys for stepping in with much more ordinary questions but I steamed & opened my sr60i yesterday evening on my way to "liberate" the tiny holes but......how do you get the driver out??
I searched on the net and looked over and over at my opened up cans but I can't figure out how to actually take the driver out of the round chamber....!!
frown.gif

any help would be greatly appreciated!

You don't need to remove the driver to open the holes, just the rear-part of the cup!

If you hold the driver up to the light, you should be able to clearly see the holes in the felt ring at the back of the driver.

You just need to get a ball point pen (a Bic) and *very carefully* poke through the felt directly over one of these holes. Don't push very far, just enough to break the felt. Using a pen is good as it only the metal nib should be able to fit through the hole, stopping you from damaging the driver diaphragm itself.

See the first few posts of this thread for full details:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/560806/sr60-mod-part-ii

Jul 2, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #16,550 of 65,615
rrrrright!!
I see...
but when I look at the photos in the post you mentioned, this one:

On this particular SR60, there was a certain mismatch between the two rear driver cloths.

..... I can't see the holes at all on my grados, only a "spongy" thing all around the driver.....
confused.gif

do I have to take the sponge off somehow?

Jul 2, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #16,551 of 65,615
  rrrrright!!
I see...
but when I look at the photos in the post you mentioned, this one:

On this particular SR60, there was a certain mismatch between the two rear driver cloths.

..... I can't see the holes at all on my grados, only a "spongy" thing all around the driver.....
confused.gif

do I have to take the sponge off somehow?

hmm ... I'm not sure I've ever seen what you're describing!

Could you take a picture and post it here so we can see what the rear of your SR60i drivers look like?

Jul 2, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #16,552 of 65,615
Sure!
I'll have to wait & get home from work.................unfrtunately 
bigsmile_face.gif

basically, when I open the cans, around the driver there are no holes but a round sponge that "surrounds" the driver....
I can see the holes through the grill but.........
I'll post photos tonight, thanks!

Jul 2, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #16,553 of 65,615
I just did a quick search on the net and saw something similar:
from here http://www.head-fi.org/t/183338/grado-driver-mod/15

(The red flesh is obviously related to the dynamat mod, I'm posting this photo just because my sr60i drivers have a similar "sponge" around them and I can't see the tiny holes........)

Jul 2, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #16,554 of 65,615
  I just did a quick search on the net and saw something similar:
from here http://www.head-fi.org/t/183338/grado-driver-mod/15

OK, that's normal (ignore the black putty on the metal plate in the centre - that's a different mod!)

The 'sponge' is actually fabric/cloth and it lets some air though the back of the driver. The idea of the hole-punch mod is to increase the airflow, which increases the bass response (like a bass-reflex port in a speaker)

If you hold the driver up to a bright light and look through the driver from the rear side, you will see the light shining through the holes, and these are the places you want to poke your pen through the fabric.

Also - don't be tempted to poke lots of holes, just start with 1 or 2 on each driver and then reassemble the headphones and have a listen. If you want more bass then you can add more holes. It's very hard to cover the holes again once they have ben opened!!

Jul 2, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #16,555 of 65,615
Here's a good guide on how to do it, with better pictures:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Grado-Headphone-Modification/step2/The-Venting-Mod/

Also, only do this if you are sure you want to - it's hard to reverse!!

Jul 2, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #16,557 of 65,615
Slow day in Grado-land.

I just got notified that the loaner GS1Ke's are shipped and on their way from TTVJ

Jul 2, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #16,558 of 65,615
It's JULY!

If this doesn't rock your Grado's, I don't know what will...

Jul 2, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #16,559 of 65,615
  Slow day in Grado-land.

I just got notified that the loaner GS1Ke's are shipped and on their way from TTVJ

very cool ! now i have to be patient , which has always been hard for me

Jul 2, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #16,560 of 65,615

very cool ! now i have to be patient , which has always been hard for me

LOL!!!

You'll probably buy them, trade them, buy them back, and then sell them again before they get to you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back