Grado Fan Club!
Apr 27, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #14,131 of 65,647

Interesting...would you care to elaborate? 

From what I have heard, HiFimans are supposed to be quite darker.

From what i have read the only one in the range that could be considered in any way dark is the HE-400, the 500 certainly is not, vs my Ms-Pro's i initially found them lighter in the bass end of the scale as they are an extremely neutral sounding headphone.  I hate to use the old cliche but i am hearing things clearly with these i have never heard or noticed before with the Grados, and they are a much faster headphone too.  Put it this way if you have the Grados upfront clear presentation on one end of the scale, and the HD650's dark and recessed presentation on the other, the HE-500 is right up there with the high end Grados, technically a bit above them too.

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #14,132 of 65,647
Hey there fellow Grado fans. I just walked at my Masters commencement this morning. Who's got some appropriate song choices for my RS ones?

+1000

I will begin my Masters after the first of the year.  Congratulations!

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #14,133 of 65,647
+1000

I will begin my Masters after the first of the year.  Congratulations!

Haha thank you! Good luck with yours. All the members of the Grado family that I've owned have largely been responsible for my late night study sanity!

Apr 27, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #14,134 of 65,647
If by source you mean buy, they make all their own drivers, they don't buy them from anybody, which probably accounts for the variation between two phones of the exact same model that people have found.

Interesting, I never knew that. Thanks.

I just ask because I spent more than an hour in a Audio-Technica Concept store and found ATs to sound quite similar to Grados.
(even knowing that they obviously use different hardware)

Quote:

From what i have read the only one in the range that could be considered in any way dark is the HE-400, the 500 certainly is not, vs my Ms-Pro's i initially found them lighter in the bass end of the scale as they are an extremely neutral sounding headphone.  I hate to use the old cliche but i am hearing things clearly with these i have never heard or noticed before with the Grados, and they are a much faster headphone too.  Put it this way if you have the Grados upfront clear presentation on one end of the scale, and the HD650's dark and recessed presentation on the other, the HE-500 is right up there with the high end Grados, technically a bit above them too.

Now that makes me what to audition them right now.

Apr 27, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #14,135 of 65,647

Interesting, I never knew that. Thanks.

It was an endless source of debate and resulted in at least one locked thread....LOL...anyway, John is always quoted as saying they do it all in house. I believe him too, as I saw footage of them making their needles for record players. If they are able to do that, I think they are able to make a driver...

Apr 27, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #14,136 of 65,647
listening to the beautiful re-master of Slint-Spiderland

anyone interested in where post-rock started, this is a great place to start and one of the 1000 albums to hear before you die!  a quick DR check shows DR13 average...not bad for a re-master!

Apr 27, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #14,138 of 65,647

It was an endless source of debate and resulted in at least one locked thread....LOL...anyway, John is always quoted as saying they do it all in house. I believe him too, as I saw footage of them making their needles for record players. If they are able to do that, I think they are able to make a driver...

I only know of the 'Grado always uses the same driver' debate.

Apr 27, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #14,139 of 65,647
Apr 27, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #14,141 of 65,647
  Man, I am falling in love with Led Zeppelin all over again. Songs I used to think I didn't like now sound awesome! These guys are absolutely insane.

I just recently got a new boxed set of Led Zepplin, after I burned them to my PC I counted to see just how many cd I have now...17 cd's by them and counting. Only other artist that even comes close is SRV.

Apr 27, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #14,142 of 65,647

I just recently got a new boxed set of Led Zepplin, after I burned them to my PC I counted to see just how many cd I have now...17 cd's by them and counting. Only other artist that even comes close is SRV.

What's your favorite album? Mine's gotta be IV, but I also love II, III, and HotH.

And I... And Presence... Oh and ITTOD and Physical Graffiti are good too. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #14,143 of 65,647

What's your favorite album? Mine's gotta be IV, but I also love II, III, and HotH.

biggrin.gif

LOL...it's II all the way for me. No matter where my musical wanderings take me, I always have time to get the Led out...

Apr 28, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #14,144 of 65,647

biggrin.gif

The box set I just got is called "Remasters" a 2disc set with an interview disk. What drew me to this one was all the re-masters were done under Jimmy Paige's supervision, so I am thinking, like it or not, this is the way they intended for these to sound. I have to admit, they sound pretty good too. I have to repeat the old cliche', I am hearing things I never even knew were there before. He brought a lot of the guitar accompaniment's that he recorded up in the mix so you can hear them now and it some cases he brought up Robert Plants vocals a bit so the words are a lot clearer now. All in all a good effort.

Apr 28, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #14,145 of 65,647
It's always interesting to see which Zeppelin album others like best! My favorite has to be I.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back